PDA

View Full Version : Should I Run for State House?

nate895
06-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Sit Rep:

The filing deadline is Friday. Primary Election August 17th.

Four GOP candidates in the race. Two bad. One moderately bad, and is also a total jerk/loser IMHO.

One is moderately ok, as in I could hold my breath and vote for him on the issues, but has personally slighted me (stole my would-be prom date last year, jerk), is fairly vague on his site concerning the issues (only has the tenth amendment on there), and he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed if you know what I'm saying. The main problem would be with this guy is that we go to the same school and are only a month apart, so it might be too much for there to be two of us in the race. The only reason I didn't jump in back in March is that we are in the same graduating class.

I am going to meet with a local leader of the Liberty movement tomorrow about another issue and I will discuss it with him if I'm still considering it, and I might talk at church about it.

dr. hfn
06-06-2010, 01:32 AM
hellz ya! kick some motherfucking ass!

nate895
06-06-2010, 02:05 AM
30:1 views to votes? I hope that's better in the morning.

squarepusher
06-06-2010, 02:41 AM
do it

low preference guy
06-06-2010, 02:41 AM
30:1 views to votes? I hope that's better in the morning.

maybe there is one guy reading your thread over and over again.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-06-2010, 02:50 AM
maybe there is one guy reading your thread over and over again.

he's on to me.... j/k :)

but yeah, definitely run!

Bman
06-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Why not. You are young. If this is something you want to do, start early. Once life gets moving it becomes harder and harder to change direction.

eOs
06-06-2010, 03:51 AM
dude..just do it man, honestly the fuck have you got to lose? that goes for everyone? everyone sitting out here reading RPFS, what do you have to lose? run. everyone run.

Bruno
06-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Go for it Nate!

JosephTheLibertarian
06-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Sit Rep:

The filing deadline is Friday. Primary Election August 17th.

Four GOP candidates in the race. Two bad. One moderately bad, and is also a total jerk/loser IMHO.

One is moderately ok, as in I could hold my breath and vote for him on the issues, but has personally slighted me (stole my would-be prom date last year, jerk), is fairly vague on his site concerning the issues (only has the tenth amendment on there), and he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed if you know what I'm saying. The main problem would be with this guy is that we go to the same school and are only a month apart, so it might be too much for there to be two of us in the race. The only reason I didn't jump in back in March is that we are in the same graduating class.

I am going to meet with a local leader of the Liberty movement tomorrow about another issue and I will discuss it with him if I'm still considering it, and I might talk at church about it.

Yes, run. Your attack ad could be like "....this guy even stole my prom date, how f'd up is that?" lololol

JosephTheLibertarian
06-06-2010, 06:39 AM
dude..just do it man, honestly the fuck have you got to lose? that goes for everyone? everyone sitting out here reading RPFS, what do you have to lose? run. everyone run.

It would be funny to walk up in a debate holding ancap talking points.

"So what would you do about the bad state of our infrastructure?" Privatize them. Saves us money, and private citizens can manage it a lot more effectively than the evil state ever could.

"What about police?" Well, we simply eliminate them and allow people to finally be in charge of their own security. This would save us money ;)

"Healthcare?" Healthcare is not a right. We need comprehensive deregulation. Though the politicians have been killing off quality healthcare in America, there's a reason why the world elite flock to the USA when they want healthcare!

"Borders?" What borders? Borders are imaginary.

"Taxes?" Eliminate them.

followup: "But how would we pay for basic services?" If you can't convince people to purchase your services, then you shouldn't be forcing people to. That's called theft. If people don't send $$$ to this crappy, evil state, then guess what? They must not give a damn about its "basic services" bs codeword for "necessary monopoly" there's never need for monopoly in any industry, including the government industry. If you can't sell your "basic services" in a free market setting, then quite frankly, your "basic services" sucks whale dick.

nuff said

Aratus
06-06-2010, 11:34 AM
10 votes to 1
and if there are
debates ...you can
talk http "addy" or http
ADDYz in the cool plural!!!

brandon
06-06-2010, 12:00 PM
How much does it pay?

You probably should do it. Especially if it pays a lot.

pacelli
06-06-2010, 12:08 PM
If you are motivated to win, RUN!!!

MRoCkEd
06-06-2010, 12:21 PM
if you have a good chance or nothing better to do, run!

Andrew-Austin
06-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, it sounds like a quixotic enough of a plan.

hellz ya! kick some motherfucking ass!

Noob
06-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Go for it!

libertybrewcity
06-06-2010, 01:26 PM
yea, if you think you have a chance.some gop establishment types are just too well known. there are a lot factors that go into as you know. volunteers, money, time, chances, name recognition...good luck if you decide to run! if you need a wiki page or something photoshopped let me know!!!!

LibertyMage
06-06-2010, 03:28 PM
There is only one real question to be asked: can you win?

If so, why not? If not, then why not build the structure necessary to guarantee a win first?

libertybrewcity
06-06-2010, 03:50 PM

If so, why not? If not, then why not build the structure necessary to guarantee a win first?

true that.

nate895
06-06-2010, 04:58 PM

I see no reason why I couldn't win, and I have nothing better to do over most of the summer really. With the wide field for the seat (it's an open seat), and no truly dominant candidate, I could probably squeeze myself into spot number two if I got 20% of the vote, and theoretically in spot number two with as little as 10-15% After that, the district is reliably GOP. In an off-year for the GOP, and with an open seat (this is the second time in a row the seat is open), the GOP candidate got nearly 60%, and usually it's 65+%.

There are two reasons why I wouldn't do it at this point:

There is a candidate the local liberty group is supporting that I don't know about (unlikely, to say the least).
I show up at church next Sunday and they don't like it (also highly unlikely).

I'll let you guys know within a couple of hours.

JVParkour
06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, I say go for it. And all you need is a little persuasion to show the local liberty group that you are the right man for the job, not that other guy.

nate895
06-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, I say go for it. And all you need is a little persuasion to show the local liberty group that you are the right man for the job, not that other guy.

Oh, I already know they don't like him. It's just that our some in the local group that don't want to step on the toes of the local GOP too much. They are worried that they'll foil our plot to take over the party. I think they'd go along with the race, however. Like I said, it's highly unlikely I won't. I'm just waiting for a call back from a local leader.

Imperial
06-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Washington has a top two election system though. Isn't there a concern that all of the GOP candidates could mean 2 democrats slip through to the general?

BuddyRey
06-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Go for it!

nate895
06-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Washington has a top two election system though. Isn't there a concern that all of the GOP candidates could mean 2 democrats slip through to the general?

Considering there is only one Democrat, that won't be a problem. If they get their votes consistently, it would take two democrats to evenly split their 40% and then four Republicans to evenly split their vote in order to knock out each other. Splitting the vote evenly on either side is a highly unlikely event. The candidates are virtual duplicates of each other anyway. The only difference I see is that 2/3 issues pages of the GOP candidates has a "Constitution" section.

P.S. I might not get back to you guys until later than I thought. The final person with "veto" authority on the whole show isn't getting back to me.

nate895
06-06-2010, 07:52 PM
OMG, I just found out that the local liberty leader endorsed the guy I described as "moderately bad." They serve on the city council together, so it might be some sort of friendly thing going on. I think I could lead a revolt of the liberty underlings, though. The guy has some ok rhetoric (makes reference to the Constitution and the Founding Father), but this guy is the kind of guy I just don't trust, and I just don't know about all of his positions.

libertybrewcity
06-06-2010, 08:15 PM
you can do it!!!

Imperial
06-06-2010, 09:45 PM
OMG, I just found out that the local liberty leader endorsed the guy I described as "moderately bad." They serve on the city council together, so it might be some sort of friendly thing going on. I think I could lead a revolt of the liberty underlings, though. The guy has some ok rhetoric (makes reference to the Constitution and the Founding Father), but this guy is the kind of guy I just don't trust, and I just don't know about all of his positions.

You have to be really careful about that. If this revolt failed, you would be in a very bad position as far as future runs went. I would suggest only following this route if you knew you could win.

nate895
06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
You have to be really careful about that. If this revolt failed, you would be in a very bad position as far as future runs went. I would suggest only following this route if you knew you could win.

I might be able to convince him otherwise. I'm talking to him within an hour. I'll tell him to give me the best case for Russell (the guy he endorsed) without mentioning my contemplations. Maybe he knows something I don't. I doubt it, but who knows? I'm kind of making stuff up "on the fly" at this point anyway. I was also hoping to get the "ok" candidate to drop out and endorse me if I did it since he isn't being really active.

As far as future runs, I don't think there would be any if I didn't do it this time. If I didn't do it this time, I already have the ball rolling to become a pastor, and I won't want to leave that occupation for politics. My plan at this point would be to only serve two, maybe three terms max in this post if I were to be elected.

There are many factors to consider, but I think God will work out His Providential will no matter what. That is where I place my faith. If God wills me to not do it, then the local leader will be able to either convince me that Russell is ok or that it would be a bad idea for other reasons.

libertybrewcity
06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
state house pastor? very unique!

nate895
06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
After thinking about it, and talking with our local man, who apparently was forced to endorse the guy by default, or appear to be an royal arse in public, I decided not to do it, not only because of what he said, but because it just seems there are so many intervening factors as to make it hard to do so. I mean, imagine the headlines for one: "Another Idiot Teen Runs for Office." I would probably just publicly embarrass myself and ruin everything I am working towards.

libertybrewcity
06-07-2010, 01:09 AM
After thinking about it, and talking with our local man, who apparently was forced to endorse the guy by default, or appear to be an royal arse in public, I decided not to do it, not only because of what he said, but because it just seems there are so many intervening factors as to make it hard to do so. I mean, imagine the headlines for one: "Another Idiot Teen Runs for Office." I would probably just publicly embarrass myself and ruin everything I am working towards.

there's always next election nate895