PDA

View Full Version : Why are money bombs important?

BlackTerrel
06-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I've been trying to figure this out. What is the benefit of a money bomb on a certain day, as opposed to just money coming in whenever? Is it:

1. A way to motivate people to put money in. That they otherwise might not. Meaning making it a money bomb for a certain day makes people more likely to donate.

2. There is an advantage to having lots of money come in on one day. More exposure, press, etc...

3. Some combination of both or something I am not thinking of.

I have been poor pretty much all my life and never donated to politics. Finally starting to do a bit better and considering making a move. I just want to clarify - say if I am going to donate $100 - is there a benefit to doing it on a money bomb day rather than any other day?

Thanks to whoever can answer this.

squarepusher
06-04-2010, 08:41 PM
hehehe

james1906
06-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I think you nailed it.

Conversely, as a gathering of fierce individualists, some may be motivated to give on a day when there is no money bomb.

brandon
06-04-2010, 08:43 PM
nah not really. I don't think they really have any significance anymore. The did during the RP2008 campaign because of the earned media that came along with it.

If I were you I would save my money instead of donating it to politicians.

BlackTerrel
06-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. Much appreciated. Even the guy that laughed at me :D

nah not really. I don't think they really have any significance anymore. The did during the RP2008 campaign because of the earned media that came along with it.

So at least in this particular case it was more valuable for everyone to pool together on one specific day rather than whenever they felt like it.

If I were you I would save my money instead of donating it to politicians.

We'll see how this month works out money wise. I am self employed so income varies. I've been pretty selfish most of my life, starting to care more about politics as I get into my mid 20's. I am really starting to like Rand more and more - and think this upcoming election is EXTREMELY important. My money won't make or break, I know that, but I'd like to do something.

libertythor
06-04-2010, 09:53 PM
It is a way to get notify individuals who support a particular candidate ahead of time and motivate all to donate at least a small amount to help counteract establishment fundraisers and PACS, allowing the candidate to actually compete in the race as a citizen candidate.

tangent4ronpaul
06-04-2010, 09:59 PM
A lot of it is the "event" nature of it. People that might not otherwise donate that month, do. It becomes like a race to see how much we can raise so everyone watches. If the results are impressive it's still newsworthy, and has become a way for the media ro rate and compare candidates, besides poles.

There is also the cooperative competition part of it:

I just donated $50 - who will match me?
If I get 10 matches, I'll donate another $50
Lets do a minibomb at quarter till and see if we can't push the total over $XXX

Still, we should think about doing moneybombs differently. Are people familiar with conventional telethons / radiothons? you have a call center to take pledges and provide good content interspersed with reminding people about everything the station (candidate in this case) has done and will continue to do. Traditionally, things are donated to the thon, and offered for certain pledge levels. Books, DVD's, posters, bumper stickers., etc. Might have a meetup do a bakeathon with Mrs. Paul's chocolate chip cookie recipe and send those out. Yes, the downside is it's more work to get things donated and then to mail them out, but you normally attach the gift to larger donation levels and people donate more than they usually would. If Dr. Paul or Rand could be talked into an hour or so of Q&A time, donations could have a question box and dropped into a bowl to be drawn and answered - like a raffle. Maybe a larger donation like $250 or $500 would guarantee that question being asked. Things like that.

Yes, I know some items cost money to produce and wouldn't be donated, but be more like a campaign store - except the prices are higher, and mailing costs - but again, you're offering the gift to get the higher donation, so come out ahead.

On content - there is music, DVD's, maybe someone could collect all of Ron's speeches on the house floor in the last year, or a "best of" collection, and broadcast that. Use it for voter outreach by talking about issues and volunteer training too. Normally thinse things run a weekend to a full week.

-t

RM918
06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
The blackout during the '08 campaign was intense. Even when we broke the goddamned single-day record, they only talked about Paul for a couple days before sinking back into obscurity. It was the only way to get them to pay any attention.

Number19
06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
They have become rather passe, but.....if we could pull off one, gigantic Bomb, following RP's announcement of his candidacy, this would not only be news worthy, but would fund his campaign in a big way going into Iowa and New Hampshire. If he could pull off solid upsets early, he would have an excellent chance of winning the nomination. But these two states are crucial and it's going to take a LOT of money. We need a money bomb on the order of $15, $20 million. The big one in 2007 was only $6 million, so we're talking really huge.

nayjevin
06-04-2010, 11:39 PM
A lot of it is the "event" nature of it. People that might not otherwise donate that month, do. It becomes like a race to see how much we can raise so everyone watches. If the results are impressive it's still newsworthy, and has become a way for the media ro rate and compare candidates, besides poles.

There is also the cooperative competition part of it:

I just donated $50 - who will match me?
If I get 10 matches, I'll donate another $50
Lets do a minibomb at quarter till and see if we can't push the total over $XXX

Still, we should think about doing moneybombs differently. Are people familiar with conventional telethons / radiothons? you have a call center to take pledges and provide good content interspersed with reminding people about everything the station (candidate in this case) has done and will continue to do. Traditionally, things are donated to the thon, and offered for certain pledge levels. Books, DVD's, posters, bumper stickers., etc. Might have a meetup do a bakeathon with Mrs. Paul's chocolate chip cookie recipe and send those out. Yes, the downside is it's more work to get things donated and then to mail them out, but you normally attach the gift to larger donation levels and people donate more than they usually would. If Dr. Paul or Rand could be talked into an hour or so of Q&A time, donations could have a question box and dropped into a bowl to be drawn and answered - like a raffle. Maybe a larger donation like $250 or $500 would guarantee that question being asked. Things like that.

Yes, I know some items cost money to produce and wouldn't be donated, but be more like a campaign store - except the prices are higher, and mailing costs - but again, you're offering the gift to get the higher donation, so come out ahead.

On content - there is music, DVD's, maybe someone could collect all of Ron's speeches on the house floor in the last year, or a "best of" collection, and broadcast that. Use it for voter outreach by talking about issues and volunteer training too. Normally thinse things run a weekend to a full week.

-t

really good ideas!

tangent4ronpaul
06-05-2010, 05:48 AM
blimp!

-t