PDA

View Full Version : selling ny interstate 90 to private

slothman
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
This is just a fun question.
If the gov't, I don't know who owns it, sold Interstate 90 in New York state to a private busniess how much would it have to be sold for?
The company could then toll or what ever they then want.
I would say at least a trillion dollars.
Selling all of I90 in the whole country could remove the US debt several times over with all the use it has.

How much would you want it to be sold for?

eqcitizen
06-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I believe that the government technically doesnt own the road because in my view they dont own anything. Everything that they claim to own has been taken from its citizens, so i believe that the people close to I 90 and those who use it regularly own the highway. The best way to privatize it is to set up a corporation making those citizens along the I 90 corridor the stockholders. Then let them sell it or manage it however they please. And if they decide to sell it, it would probably fetch around 50billion or so (in new york state i mean).

tremendoustie
06-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I believe that the government technically doesnt own the road because in my view they dont own anything. Everything that they claim to own has been taken from its citizens, so i believe that the people close to I 90 and those who use it regularly own the highway. The best way to privatize it is to set up a corporation making those citizens along the I 90 corridor the stockholders. Then let them sell it or manage it however they please. And if they decide to sell it, it would probably fetch around 50billion or so (in new york state i mean).

I don't know ... the property was bought originally using taxpayer funds. I think auctioning it off and giving the money to taxpayers is very reasonable.

I think ceding ownership back to local landholders is more practical for rural roads, rather than highways.