PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lee, Tim Bridgewater Oppose Giving Citizenship To Anchor Babies

low preference guy
06-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Kentucky Republican Rand Paul isn't the only GOP candidate running for Senate in 2010 that believes the United States should abandon its policy of guaranteeing citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants.

Mike Lee and Tim Bridgwater, who are facing-off in a primary battle for the Republican nomination for Senate in Utah, both share Paul's view on the immigration issue[.]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/03/mike-lee-tim-bridgewater_n_596719.html

FrankRep
06-04-2010, 11:28 AM
It is the official policy of the U.S. government that any child, born in this country to illegal immigrants, automatically and immediately becomes a citizen of the United States; this policy of granting citizenship to anchor babies is based on a misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment, which in fact was not legally adopted. By Chip Wood

Anchor Babies and the Illegal 14th Amendment (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/chip-wood/3641-anchor-babies-and-the-illegal-14th)

Chip Wood | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
Thursday, 27 May 2010

Pete Kay
06-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I think they make a mistake of framing this issue around illegal immigrant children, which is politically polarizing. There's a whole cottage industry of foreign nationals flying to US territories to gain US citizenship for their newborn children. I don't think you'd find many people agreeing that someone that flies to the US for a vacation during her 9th month of pregnancy with the explicate intention of abusing birthright laws should have her newborn child granted citizenship. If they attacked it that way, it'd be much more palpable to most everyone.

teamrican1
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I think they make a mistake of framing this issue around illegal immigrant children, which is politically polarizing. There's a whole cottage industry of foreign nationals flying to US territories to gain US citizenship for their newborn children. I don't think you'd find many people agreeing that someone that flies to the US for a vacation during her 9th month of pregnancy with the explicate intention of abusing birthright laws should have her newborn child granted citizenship. If they attacked it that way, it'd be much more palpable to most everyone.

I couldn't disagree more. The Anchor Baby is such a winning issue precisely because it is rewarding people for coming in to the country illegally. Most people could care less if a German tourist has a baby in the US. Since they are operating within the law in the first place, they are just going to return to Germany when their Visa expires and in all likely hood neither they nor their child will ever immigrate. They're just giving their kid a passport advantage in the future that will make it easier for him to travel and do business in the US (or immigrate if he really wanted to). People have no problem with legal immigration. It is the unchecked illegal immigration from Mexico that gets people riled up.

ChaosControl
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Sigh... people make way too big of a deal about that.

John Taylor
06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Good for them both. Bridgewater is just mouthing the words though.

Lee is the way to go, he's a strict constructionist, and supports abolition of the IRS, the repeal of the 16th and 17 Amendments, and the restoration of commodity backed money.