PDA

View Full Version : California Proposition 14 -- Bad News Independents and Third Parties

FrankRep
06-04-2010, 10:39 AM
California's Proposition 14 is a losing proposition for independents and third-party candidates. by Kurt Hyde

California Proposition 14 -- Bad News Independents and Third Parties (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/3705-california-proposition-14-bad-news-independents-and-third-parties)

Kurt Hyde | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
Friday, 04 June 2010

According to the old saw, a forlorn man was once told: “Cheer up. Things could be worse.” So the man cheered up and things got worse. If you’re unhappy with the current crop of elected politicians in California, cheer up. Things could get worse, especially if Proposition 14 passes.

Proposition 14 would replace the current system of political primaries, which is an admittedly flawed system, with one much worse. Instead of holding primaries to determine the political parties’ candidates, there would be only one primary election for each office and the top two vote getters would be the only two names on the ballot in the general election.

Opportunities for manipulation of voters abound in such a system. Primary elections are well-known for having much lower voter turnouts than general elections. They have become the mechanism by which the few control the many by gaining control over the choices offered in the general election.

One obvious tool of chicanery will be splitting the conservative vote by running as many conservatives and pseudo-conservatives as possible. This tactic could be employed by any voting block, but typically it is the party bosses who are the ones with the skills and money to pull it off. If that fails, the people in charge of running elections would have the ultimate power to add or remove names from the ballots in the primaries or the general elections based on technicalities. This could be exacerbated as ballot access laws, already more complex than they need to be, could be amended to have even more unnecessary complications in the future, an even further centralization of power.

The candidates who would be adversely affected the most by this are third-party candidates, independent candidates, and write-in candidates. In effect, they would find themselves unable to be on the ballot in the general election. While third party, independent, and write-in candidates are rarely elected to office, their influence has helped immeasurably in keeping many a so-called conservative at least reasonably on track during the campaign season by offering disenfranchised voters the opportunity to voice their disgust by casting a protest vote. Sometimes they are successful in being elected. Don’t forget Strom Thurmond was first elected to the U.S. Senate as a write-in candidate in 1954.

By increasing the power of the primary election, party bosses and special interest groups would see their influence increase because they are well organized and get their voters to turn out in primaries. Election fraud would have an even greater influence as repeater voters, those who vote using assumed names — names of people who have moved, died, or never existed — will also see their influence increased as well because of the consistently lower turnouts in primaries.

There is much wrong with our current system of political primaries. One blatant example is allowing cross-over voting. That is where voters (or repeaters) of one political party are allowed to vote in the other party’s primary. They can work to deliberately nominate a weaker candidate or even a phony candidate who is dedicated to helping the opposition.

Yes, there is much wrong with the current system and the voters are frustrated, but Proposition 14 would do nothing to clean up the mess but would actually make the situation worse. Let’s pray the voters of California wisely reject Proposition 14.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/3705-california-proposition-14-bad-news-independents-and-third-parties

puppetmaster
06-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I heard the other day from a MSM outlet that third parties are bad for the system. They said that countries that have them never get anything done. Then they said that they should be prevented for forming in the US.

LOL they don't like resistance. think it was Faux News

Pete Kay
06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
California is flaming out Greek style. We should encourage them to break off as an independent nation. There's no hope for California anymore.

silentshout
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
California is flaming out Greek style. We should encourage them to break off as an independent nation. There's no hope for California anymore.

As a Californian, I approve this message :). Seriously, though, after this mess is sorted out, I think California would be fine if left to its own devices.

Oh, and I already voted no via absentee on 14. It's a horrible initiative.

Ekrub
06-04-2010, 11:42 AM
That's the way it is here in Washington state.

NewFederalist
06-04-2010, 01:24 PM
If "Top Two" is such a great idea just how far behind can "Top One" be?

ChaosControl
06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Sounds like a crappy system in WA which basically makes it so I am unable to vote.

Shotdown1027
06-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Sounds like a crappy system in WA which basically makes it so I am unable to vote.

Third parties in CA have been fighting this thing for months now--it could basically wipe them out.

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2010/06/lp-org-help-fund-our-stop-top-two-radio-ads-in-california/

This is an ad from the LP against Prop 14, it's being funded by 25k from the national LP.
http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2010/06/california-libertarians-produce-anti-prop-14-ad/

The CALP also has a phone-banking program going against Prop 14, they've called something like 2500 supervoters so far.

South Park Fan
06-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Even the example provided in the proposition information guide showed that third parties would be eliminated under this system. They're not even trying to hide it anymore.

nate895
06-04-2010, 04:53 PM
This has ruined the system in Washington, IMO. Except for the office of Presidential Elector, it is impossible to register a protest vote.

nate895
06-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Hey, would anybody on here support an effort to repeal top two in Washington in the 2011 GE? Those off-off-year elections have much less turnout than other years, thus increasing our chances if we organize now. I'll put the idea forward at our next local C4L meeting.

Ekrub
06-04-2010, 05:12 PM
me!

The Patriot
06-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I am definitely voting against open primaries. We will most likely be left with a liberal and "moderate" democrat as the two candidates. It would kill any conservative's chance of running in the General Election and totally ideologically disenfranchise a significant group of voters. Rather than having a duopoly, their would be a democratic party monopoly.

Promontorium
06-05-2010, 04:26 AM
I might even be more disgusted than Ron Paul is that political parties are treated like they have any legal standing in the government.

That there are any laws mandating party elections is insane.

This bill is to literally turn the election over to political parties.

btw, California is going the way the federal government is going. The chain is wrapped tight around every one of you. California might drown first, but your state is soon to follow.

ChaosControl
06-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Hey, would anybody on here support an effort to repeal top two in Washington in the 2011 GE? Those off-off-year elections have much less turnout than other years, thus increasing our chances if we organize now. I'll put the idea forward at our next local C4L meeting.

Of course. I want to actually be able to vote in general elections again.