PDA

View Full Version : Who did RP support in previous elections?

AWF
10-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't mean this as a gotcha question, but rather to generate discussion, b/c I think it's interesting and important.

I think I read somewhere recently that RP wouldn't say who he voted for in the last election (and perhaps others). We can probably assume he supported Reagan both times (can't we?) and himself in '88, but it's less clear afterwards. Of greatest interest are the two most recent elections. Having reviewed his archive of articles, I found a good and detailed (but ambiguous) 2004 election post-mortem:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul218.html

Money quote:

"Though the recent election reflected the good instincts of many Americans concerned about moral values, abortion, and marriage, let’s hope and pray this endorsement will not be used to justify more pre-emptive/unnecessary wars, expand welfare, ignore deficits, endorse the current monetary system, expand the domestic police state, and promote the American empire worldwide."

I think I read one that he wrote after the 2000 election at some point, but couldn't find it.

The reason this isn't a totally academic question is that a closely related issue came up in the last debate. Specifically, RP refused to automatically endorse the GOP nominee in 2008 and, in a sense, hinted his support was unlikely (i.e. they would need to almost adopt his position on the war).

The fact is that RP is drawing support from a very politically diverse coalition and probably doesn't want to tamper with that by announcing his votes. Nonetheless, I wonder who he has voted for in the past couple elections. I would say almost no way Gore/Kerry...Bush maybe...Browne/Badnarik maybe...Buchanan leaning no....Phillips/Peroutka less likely...Nader very unlikely...did not vote also very unlikely.

Any thoughts?

reaver
10-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Not sure but I think he has voted for Ron Paul since 88'
:p

Ron Paul Fan
10-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Maybe Bush in 2000 because he always talks about his foreign policy. But then again, he's not too fond of the Bushes. I think I saw somewhere that he didn't support Bush in 2004 and probably went with Badnarik.

shepburn
10-12-2007, 11:42 PM
i saw in you tube clip from the Texas straw poll that he amitted to not voting for Bush in either 2000 or 2004.

Mordechai Vanunu
10-12-2007, 11:59 PM
i saw in you tube clip from the Texas straw poll that he amitted to not voting for Bush in either 2000 or 2004.

I saw this also. He definitely did not support Bush in 2000.

AWF
10-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for passing that along.

I hope they (GOP organizers) don't use that against him - of course many bloggers will, but I mean in reference to inclusion in debates and other public forums. It is one objective standard by which they could argue he doesn't belong in the republican discussion. Perhaps more to the point, he should be able to defend the fact that he's not likely to support this year's nominee.

Of course, as far as the voting public as a whole, being against Bush the whole time is probably a positive!

Buggan
10-13-2007, 08:22 AM
He supported Bush in 2000, but not 2004.