PDA

View Full Version : Census taker arrested in Puna (Hawaii Big Island)

bunklocoempire
06-03-2010, 10:13 PM
This happened while I was off island. Should be interesting how it shakes out.

Census taker arrested in Puna
by John Burnett And Peter Sur
Tribune-Herald Staff Writers
Published: Saturday, May 29, 2010 7:48 AM HST

Man accused of trespassing at home; feds claim jurisdiction

A battle is brewing between the state and federal governments over a Census taker arrested in Puna for misdemeanor trespassing.

The U.S. Attorney's office filed papers Thursday in federal court in Honolulu to take the case of 57-year-old Russell Haas out of Hilo District Court. That will pit the feds against local prosecutors.

"I'm looking to have it kept in state court," county Deputy Prosecutor Christopher Bridges said Friday. He said there appeared to be a "procedural defect" in the federal court order. Haas pleaded not guilty on April 8 to second-degree trespassing. He was arrested March 10 at 12:30 p.m. on Road 9 in Hawaiian Acres, after a resident Haas says was an off-duty police officer allegedly refused to cooperate with the Census and called Puna police.

"When I opened his gate and walked in, as I'd probably done 100 times before, he stepped out of his garage and said, 'Please get off my property,'" Haas said Friday. Haas said he identified himself as a Census worker and the man again requested for him to leave.

continued: http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2010/05/29/local_news/local01.txt

My own experience with the census –and in Puna- was…

I put down the number of folks living in our house (only) and sent it off –about 3 weeks before the deadline.

About 4 1/2 weeks later, a census lady rolled up saying they hadn’t received our info, I told her I had sent it in and she said a lot of folks in the area she had visited had said the same thing.

I told her to put down 3 as the number living on property and that we were done, she said “no problem, a lot of folks in the area are doing that”, and then she left.

From what the lady mentioned, it would seem perhaps that some of the house to house census jobs were over kill and 'busy work' ala government standard operating procedure. Big surprise.:rolleyes:

Bunkloco

Promontorium
06-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Does anyone else find it funny that a census worker would say "I'd probably done 100 times before"?
I mean, he should know exactly how many times.

I know, stupid joke.

Leave it to a cop to try to defend his rights. Don't ever leave it to a cop to try to defend your rights.