PDA

View Full Version : MSM Bailout! DIGG! iPhone, Cell Plans, Ads, all to be taxed to support MSM!

libertythor
06-03-2010, 04:46 PM
digg.com/politics/MSM_to_be_Bailed_Out_by_Taxing_iPad_Cell_Phones_et c

Remove the space in "etc".

Here is the direct search link: http://digg.com/search?s=MSM+to+be+bailed+out+ipad

dannno
06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Wow, that would REALLY suck.

dannno
06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Article:

Will Washington bail out the MSM with an iPad tax?
Jun 3, 2010 13:48 EDT
Big Government | regulation

This is actually quite astonishing. A “staff discussion draft” from the Federal Trade Commission recommends ways the government can save journalism. First, it lists a number of ways Washington can subsidize the media (to the tune of $35 billion a year):

– Establish a “journalism” division of AmeriCorps.

– Increase funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

– Establish a National Fund for Local News.

– Provide a tax credit to news organizations for every journalist they employ.

– Establish Citizenship News Vouchers (lets you direct money from tax return).

And here is where the money would come from, which I will quote directly:

Tax on broadcast spectrum. They argue “commercial radio and television broadcasters are given monopoly rights to extremely lucrative spectrum at no charge,” and this is a massive public subsidy. They therefore suggest the revenues generated by that spectrum be taxed at a rate of 7 percent, which should result in a fund of between $3 and $6 billion. In exchange, commercial broadcasters would be relieved of any obligations to engage in “public-interest programming,” which the broadcasters claim costs them $10 billion annually.

Tax on consumer electronics. A 5 percent tax on consumer electronics would generate approximately $4 billion annually.

Spectrum auction tax. They suggest there be a tax on the auction sales prices for commercial communication spectrum, with the proceeds going to the public-media fund.

Advertising taxes. They note a considerable amount of our broadcast spectrum has been turned over to disseminating commercial advertisements, and a 2 percent sales tax on advertising would generate approximately $5 to $6 billion annually. In addition, they suggest that changing the tax write-off of all advertising as a business expense in a single year to a write-off over a 5-year period would generate an additional $2 billion per year.

ISP-cell phone tax. They suggest consumers could pay a small tax on their monthly ISP-cell phone bills to fund content they access on their digital services. A tax of 3 percent on the monthly fees would generate $6 billion annually. They note, however, this is the least desirable approach because demand for these services is “elastic” and even a slight rise in price could result in people dropping the service.

Me: In this must-read NYPost article, Jeff Jarvis calls the electronics tax an “iPad tax.” Besides of all the issues this raises concerning government influencing the media, I find it hard to believe voters would be willing to subsidize a broken business model.

AuH20
06-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Bastards will never knowingly sacrifice their propaganda arm.

libertythor
06-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Article:

Thanks. There is now a direct link to the search result in Digg as well.

libertythor
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
bump

purplechoe
06-03-2010, 05:42 PM
alright, who rated this thread *****? This is terrible news, those #%*@^*&#$! :mad:

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/9/d/bush_propaganda_catapult.jpg

http://www.openureyes.org.nz/propaganda.jpg

axiomata
06-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Wonder how many people will throw their iPhones in the Boston Harbor.

libertythor
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
It was rated for importance, not good news.

alright, who rated this thread *****? This is terrible news, those #%*@^*&#$! :mad:

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/9/d/bush_propaganda_catapult.jpg

http://www.openureyes.org.nz/propaganda.jpg

libertythor
06-03-2010, 07:07 PM
bump

Lovecraftian4Paul
06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
No different than state run media. Ours is the same as North Korea's propaganda outlets, just in sleeker, corporate clothing.

libertythor
06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
No different than state run media. Ours is the same as North Korea's propaganda outlets, just in sleeker, corporate clothing.

Soon the will want to define as "hate speech" anything that criticizes Obama.

AGRP
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Pass or not, its worrysome to think our government is actually spending time in crafting such violations.

fletcher
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks. There is now a direct link to the search result in Digg as well.

Why don't you also include a link to the article? I will never give digg any traffic yet want to read the article. Do I really have to google it?

libertythor
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Why don't you also include a link to the article? I will never give digg any traffic yet want to read the article. Do I really have to google it?

Ok. I will start including the original link.

fletcher
06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Ok. I will start including the original link.

thanks. :)