PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: Obama facing too much blame on oil spill

bobbyw24
06-03-2010, 08:28 AM
President Barack Obama won a defense of his handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill from one GOP congressman on Thursday.

Rep. Ron Paul, the libertarian Republican lawmaker from Texas, said that people were expecting too much from the president in his ability to react to the ongoing spill into the Gulf.

"I'm a pretty big critic of the president," Paul said during an appearance on "Imus in the Morning" on the Fox Business Network, "but I just don't see the justification for coming down hard on the president."

"I think it represents the idea that the American people think the president is everything to everybody that he should fix an oil leak," Paul added.

Some lawmakers, including many Republicans, have questioned the administration's responsiveness to the spill, as well as whether the administration has been aggressive enough in pushing BP to end the flow of oil from its damaged deepwater well.

But Paul suggested that there was little the president could do personally to end the spill, arguing that Obama could do more to help out with the spill and the cleanup by clearing out and waiving federal regulations so that governors of the states affected by the spill have more leeway in addressing cleanup efforts.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/101193-ron-paul-obama-facing-too-much-blame-on-oil-spill

Liberty Star
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
BP should get most of blame.

Little off topic but how BP furtunes changed in just few months:

BP wins biggest Iraq oil contract
- TelegraphJun 30, 2009 ... The only successful foreign bid in a historic televised auction.
www.telegraph.co.uk/.../oilandgas/.../BP-wins-biggest-Iraq-oil-contract.html

akforme
06-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I was just telling my wife this yesterday. Blame BP, WTF do people expect Obama to do?

Bruno
06-03-2010, 08:39 AM
"I think it represents the idea that the American people think the president is everything to everybody that he should fix an oil leak," Paul added.

How true!!

Travlyr
06-03-2010, 08:42 AM

The EPA should get most of the blame. Environmental Protection Agency!

MsDoodahs
06-03-2010, 08:43 AM
I was just telling my wife this yesterday. Blame BP, WTF do people expect Obama to do?

Exactly what Ron said: "Obama could do more to help out with the spill and the cleanup by clearing out and waiving federal regulations so that governors of the states affected by the spill have more leeway in addressing cleanup efforts."

But BOzo doesn't have incentive to do that because he's using the spill to push for cap and tax, and of course to use in the 2012 election (he'll spend lots of time reminding folks of Palin's "drill baby drill" comments from 2008).

ClayTrainor
06-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Exactly what Ron said: "Obama could do more to help out with the spill and the cleanup by clearing out and waiving federal regulations so that governors of the states affected by the spill have more leeway in addressing cleanup efforts."

Yup... Or better yet, wave all regulations that restrict a private cleanup effort.

specsaregood
06-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Not the company that actually was doing the drilling? I'd say they deserve most of the "blame".

AuH20
06-03-2010, 09:16 AM
But Obama, being the grand narcissist he is, couldn't leave things well enough alone and started blaming the previous administration for the spill. Essentially, taking responsibility for it in a roundabout way. The man is an ignoramus. He should have stayed out of it.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Exactly.

Ekrub
06-03-2010, 09:36 AM

I did the same yesterday.

BlackTerrel
06-03-2010, 09:38 AM

+1

I am not sure how Obama is supposed to be better at fixing a leak than BP themselves.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-03-2010, 09:39 AM
+1

I am not sure how Obama is supposed to be better at fixing a leak than BP themselves.

Shit, he is coming down here tomorrow. Im like "Stay Away!!!" :eek:

angelatc
06-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Good heavens. Obama brought in James Cameron (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/jun/02/james-cameron-underwater-oil-spill) - what else do people want???

Doug Powers wrote "I suppose it's too much to hope that they'll plug the hole with Leonardo DiCaprio."

Aratus
06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
remember when howard hughes had the glomar explorer go after manganese
nodules on the ocean floor? presidents can't be everywhere... all the time...

aravoth
06-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah, Government in general can't do anything about it. It sorta reminds of the Volcano in Iceland, some Europeans where complaining that the Icelandic Government wasn't doing enough to stop the volcano from erupting.

Seriously.

ClayTrainor
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah, Government in general can't do anything about it. It sorta reminds of the Volcano in Iceland, some Europeans where complaining that the Icelandic Government wasn't doing enough to stop the volcano from erupting.

Seriously.

That's nuts, but I'm not surprised. People really do have a tendency to view the state like some supernatural entity. This video always comes to mind, when I hear that type of thing...

YouTube - Why More Atheists Than Anarchists? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MEKNNgm3U)

sratiug
06-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Whoever gave out the lease is responsible.

Aratus
06-03-2010, 10:09 AM
thah shrub's people once had brainfreezes over the oil down there...

Stary Hickory
06-03-2010, 10:33 AM
I tend to think the same thing, but then again I thought the same thing about Bush over Katrina. They are unforseen disasters.

Travlyr
06-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Whoever gave out the lease is responsible.

The EPA. Even with all the billions of dollars we've spent on the EPA, they turned their back on the people and let this disaster happen... the EPA is a public/private partnership with BP. Abolish the EPA.

catdd
06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
It's not his fault but I remember how the liberals flamed Bush during Katrina so I don't feel any sympathy for Obama.

Brett
06-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Many Conservatives are taking this chance to slam Obama for not acting rather than taking the chance to thank him for not exceedingly increasing government and letting a good distaster go to waste.

dannno
06-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Ya I saw a clip on the Daily Show where Obama said he wouldn't rest until the oil leak was fixed.. I was like, wtf are you going to do? Spend your days researching things that other people have spent their entire lives researching? Make some grand decision? Decide what kind of crap to try and throw in the hole next?

TC95
06-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I think Obama wants people to blame him.

Fixing oil spill my responsibility, Obama says

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/27/1974133/obama-to-take-questions-cite-report.html

Anti Federalist
06-03-2010, 11:43 AM

BP wins biggest Iraq oil contract
- TelegraphJun 30, 2009 ... The only successful foreign bid in a historic televised auction.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/.../oilan...-contract.html

Now they have a major incident that shuts off a significant supply of new oil, thereby raising prices on cheap to produce reserves in Iraq.

Something stinks.

kahless
06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Like Ron I blame him for not responding more quickly to the states needs for preventing onshore oil. It however almost seems people are putting it all on BP to defend Libertarian ideology and risk losing a entire coast line for decades rather than government mobilizing what we can to minimize this disaster.

Due to the continuing and potential magnitude of this disaster I blame him for not doing enough to contain the spill. Clearly BP is unable to and we should be mobolizing barges or whatever we can to surround the area of the spill and draw off the oil.

MichelleHeart
06-03-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=248171

HOLLYWOOD
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Eric Holder should do his Frigin Job...

Indite those government officials within the MMS and EPA. Any inspector should be arrested in their pencil whipping of Inspections/Paperwork/Certification.

Next...

Who sabotaged the Deepwater Rig? There's rumors coming out about a Houston suspect... investigate.

legion
06-03-2010, 04:22 PM
WTF are we waiting for? Nuke that shit! Russia causes like 12 of these a year and caps them with explosives. The real motive here is that the oil company wants to make sure this well is still recoverable!