PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire Mulls December Primary

G-khan
10-12-2007, 09:01 PM
New Hampshire Mulls December Primary

Friday, October 12, 2007 12:20 PM

Article Font Size http://www.newsmax.com/images/layout/minus.jpg (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:setActiveStyleSheet%28%27default%27%29;) http://www.newsmax.com/images/layout/plus.jpg (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:setActiveStyleSheet%28%27largeFont%27%29;)
http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/n.h._december_primary/2007/10/12/40396.html?s=al&promo_code=3B58-1

New Hampshire primary voters could head to the polls as early as Dec. 11 in an unprecedented move to maintain the state’s first-in-the-nation status.

Jim Splaine, the state legislator responsible for the law mandating that New Hampshire vote first, is actively campaigning for a vote on that date, The Washington Post reports.

Splaine explains it on his blog hosted by the site Blue Hampshire: “A N.H. primary on or around Dec. 11 would encourage the presidential candidates and their campaigns to spend intensive, quality time here for all of November into the first week or two of December. We could ask for nothing better for democracy than having some concentrated time with the candidates — face to face, eye to eye, one-on-one, New Hampshire-style.”

The primary calendar confusion began when a number of states, including Michigan and Florida, moved to leapfrog New Hampshire. With the Michigan contest set for Jan. 15, New Hampshire, under its law, must vote no later than Jan. 8. But that date would fall only three days after Iowa’s expected caucus date — too little time for candidates to relocate their campaigns.

“When the Democratic National Committee began playing games with the schedule some two years ago, and a lot of people said New Hampshire wouldn't survive their sanctions, I said we would,” Splaine writes in his blog. “We’d remain first.”

torchbearer
10-12-2007, 09:02 PM
why don't they go ahead and have the 2012 primary too while they are at it... since the thing that is really important about election is who goes first. /sarcasm

PMatt
10-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it make more sense to have all the primaries on the same day? Or would that make too much sense?

max
10-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it make more sense to have all the primaries on the same day? Or would that make too much sense?

if you did that, a guy like rp would have no shot against the big money boys...

early primaries in small staes give an underdog a chance to build some momentum..

as it stands now...with super tuesday(20 + primaries on one day)...its already a huge disadvantage for us

Original_Intent
10-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Yep early primary states really help the underdogs.

kylejack
10-12-2007, 09:51 PM
why don't they go ahead and have the 2012 primary too while they are at it... since the thing that is really important about election is who goes first. /sarcasm
Since it works in our favor, I support this move. ;) New Hampshire should be the greatest state in the union for Paul's message, and for his financial situation.

mavtek
10-12-2007, 09:53 PM
This is BS, this isn't enough time for us to gain traction.

G-khan
10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Since it works in our favor, I support this move. ;) New Hampshire should be the greatest state in the union for Paul's message, and for his financial situation.

It should be but I don't know polls in that state do not show him doing all the great... Lots of work needs to be done there!

brumans
10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Damn that's early

torchbearer
10-12-2007, 10:00 PM

December doesn't work in our favor, having small states early helps us... but having them too early, hurts us... We need these elections in february... our grassroots campaign has not matured yet...

Ron Paul Fan
10-12-2007, 10:05 PM
The whole system is a joke. Everyone has to be first. Wyoming, Nevada, Michigan, New Hampshire, Iowa. All it does it hurt the chances of candidates without as much name recognition. Moving up to December is absurd. Just leave it where it is now! If they do this it means we'll have less than 2 months to spread the message and get Ron Paul's name out.

jointhefightforfreedom
10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
December that's ludicris! cold weather , family in town for the holidays, xmas ect.. yeah i want to pay attention to voting (sarcasim)

PMatt
10-12-2007, 10:18 PM
if you did that, a guy like rp would have no shot against the big money boys...

early primaries in small staes give an underdog a chance to build some momentum..

as it stands now...with super tuesday(20 + primaries on one day)...its already a huge disadvantage for us

Touche, if it helps Ron Paul have a better chance to win, then it's obviously the right way to go ;)

kylejack
10-12-2007, 10:20 PM
December doesn't work in our favor, having small states early helps us... but having them too early, hurts us... We need these elections in february... our grassroots campaign has not matured yet...

We don't have that luxury. Wyoming and Michigan hosed us by moving theirs sooner. New Hampshire can either move to December or not be first. They have no option to be first AND be in February. As such, its not bad that New Hampshire's doing this...its good.

Badger Paul
10-12-2007, 10:29 PM
If one state has to go in December, better it be New Hampshire. This could actually help us. We poll better in NH than anyplace else. We have a strong on-the-ground presence here already. Independents can vote in our primary. We're already running TV, radio and newspaper ads here. A win in NH would shake up the campaign and provide us with a surge of momentum heading into January. The camapaign would become about Ron Paul for several weeks and would make organizing the other states much, much easier.

Karsten
10-12-2007, 11:37 PM
If it's less than 2 months away, Ron Paul better get his ass over there instead of taking a week off.

max
10-12-2007, 11:40 PM
If it's less than 2 months away, Ron Paul better get his ass over there instead of taking a week off.

yep..

Especially since Romeny is universally recognized (former governpr of neighboring Massachusetts) and is spending tons of time and money there...

I dont understand why RP isnt spending more time...He is in NY this weekend which is only 30 minutes away by plane...he should have planned an event after NY...

This is worrying me...because if we dont win NH...well....

Grandson of Liberty
10-12-2007, 11:45 PM
If it would really benefit Ron Paul, there's no way in heck this would happen. Sorry for the cynical outlook. Early is good, too early, bad.