PDA

View Full Version : Feds Approve New Shallow Gulf Oil Well off La Coast

tropicangela
06-02-2010, 08:57 PM
This just might make some people's heads explode about the chosen one.

Federal regulators approved Wednesday the first new Gulf of Mexico oil well since President Barack Obama lifted a brief ban on drilling in shallow water, even while deepwater projects remain frozen after the massive BP spill.

Bandon Oil and Gas first sought the permit in April shortly after the Deepwater Horizon exploded and sank. The permit was approved Wednesday morning, according to MMS records.

Suckling said the administration was misleading the public by quietly resuming work in shallow waters while acting as if it was taking a tough look at deepwater work.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=10807595

tropicangela
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
The Minerals Management Service said on its Web site Wednesday that it had granted a permit sought by Bandon Oil and Gas, LP to drill at a site about 50 miles off Louisiana's coast and about 115 feet beneath the water's surface.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703561604575283202873516976.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

RM918
06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Hypocrisy, in politics? Naw.

TruckinMike
06-02-2010, 09:51 PM
That is GREAT news! The reason BP was in 5000 feet of water drilling was because of politics. It was politics that forced the free market out into the depths with very difficult, expensive, and dangerous drilling. Thus it was our own governments fault for the Deep water horizon accident. Thats the way I see it.

Shallow drilling is safe(r) drilling.;)

TMike

tropicangela
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Environmentalists are freaking out over this. I've been learning that we've been drilling out deep because of environmentalists have argued that blowouts happen more often in shallow water. I live in Southwest Florida and the oil is approaching Panama City beach right now. This accident is a tragedy and I'm not looking forward to its effects for time to come, but I'm hoping for the best with this shallow drilling move.

tropicangela
06-04-2010, 08:14 AM
MMS rescinded the new shallow permits yesterday until they figure out safety standards, and it caused a spike in oil prices.

MelissaWV
06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
MMS rescinded the new shallow permits yesterday until they figure out safety standards, and it caused a spike in oil prices.

I suspected that would happen.

On a sad-but-true note, if the shallow drilling causes a spill soon, will anyone even be able to notice?