PDA

View Full Version : Convenience Store Robbery? Washington State ‘Sin Tax’ Targets Candy, Beer

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-02-2010, 03:47 PM
ABC's Bradley Blackburn reports:

It's not as bad as a stick-up, but convenience store owners in Washington state say they're being robbed of sales by the government.

Nm_convenience_store_100601_wmain A new state law taking effect today puts a "sin" tax on gas station staples like candy bars, gum, beer and even bottled water.

The 6.5 percent sales tax would tag an additional dime to the cost of a chocolate bar and more than a quarter to a six-pack of beer.

The new tax is sandwiched between two other tax hikes that are slicing deli sales, including a $1-per-pack cigarette tax that started last month and a tax on soda that's scheduled to begin in July.

Convenience store owner Kuljit Singh said the cigarette law has already taken a chunk out of his cash register, and he fears what today's new law will do to his business.

"At least 30 percent of sales have dropped," Singh told Seattle ABC affiliate KOMO-TV. "At the end of the day, the state is going to lose a lot of money just on the sales tax."

If Singh is right, that will counter the very reason state lawmakers started their tax assault in the first place -- to cover a $3 billion budget shortfall.

You can see KOMO's report here: http://www.komonews.com/news/95295699.html?tab=video

Liberty Star
06-02-2010, 03:51 PM
ST on candy is understandable but why beer?

Ekrub
06-02-2010, 03:52 PM
This is why Spokane hates Seattle.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
man Im glad I live in a somewhat conservative state.

phill4paul
06-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Glad to see it. We do not have enough "Sin" tax or we'd have less of it. If we'd put a dollar sin tax on a quarter pounder then all the idiots that endorse sin taxes on cigs and beer would understand the pain.

Feel the pain you Hersey stuffin', chocolate finger grubbin', sin tax lovers. Feel the pain.

Edit: Just wait until Obamacare really kicks in. Then you'll see the governments true colors with regard to social engineering. I ain't joking about the sin tax on fast food.

Ekrub
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about moving... even though this new $1/ pack hike inspired me to try and quit smoking for a (insert number higher than 10) time. Good for my health maybe, but I'm tired of Seattle making these decisions for me.

JK/SEA
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
ST on candy is understandable but why beer?

Only mass produced beer like Bud and Coors are affected. Micro brew Companies are exempt. Makes me laugh and cry at the same time.