PDA

View Full Version : DUI Officers Warned to Arrest More People - Or Else

Matt Collins
06-02-2010, 03:37 PM
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=12522527

Metro Nashville police say their specialized DUI units are finding fewer drunk drivers to arrest.

But if you think they're celebrating that drivers are finally getting the message, think again.

In fact, a NewsChannel 5 investigation discovered supervisors are now warning some officers that if they don't find more people to arrest, they could be in trouble themselves.

Anti Federalist
06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
From the article, just another day in the land of the free...

Police insist that's not a quota, but NewsChannel 5 Investigates found an innocent man who isn't convinced.

Our cameras were there as 18-year-old Martin Bills went to court to get his good name back.

It's a name that was taken when a Metro police officer arrested him back in April on DUI charges. His employer suspended him, and the U.S. Navy told him his plans to enlist would have to wait.

"It put my life on hold for about three weeks now," Bills said. "I can't go to work. I can't make money."

Bills was stopped on Briley Parkway by an officer assigned to a DUI task force that makes repeated traffic stops, hoping to catch drivers who've been drinking.

"He automatically right off the bat asked me had I been drinking, had I been smoking," the young man recalled. "I said no. He continued to ask me and ask me."

What followed was the kind of field sobriety tests we've all seen on TV -- tests that the officer claimed Bills flunked.

"He said my eye was twitching and my leg was shaking -- that's why he took me in. I mean, I can't help that I'm nervous that I'm getting pulled over," Bills said.

The officer booked him on suspicion of being under the influence of marijuana.

pcosmar
06-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Revenue Enforcement.
:mad:

sevin
06-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Oh no, less people are breaking the law? What a disaster!

Time to write more laws.

Anti Federalist
06-02-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=245515

phill4paul
06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Can it get anymore clear cut? Honestly?

Every conviction should be expunged under "conflict of interest." It is in the officers best interest to lie about the probable cause of a stop, lie about the field test and lie in court under sworn oath.

Shame on the Bills' for capitulating and accepting a lesser offense even though he was innocent. They should have sued the city for every hour he lost from work plus mental frikken anguish.
This is what really pisses me off here. A clear cut case of abuse and the offended not only let it slide but accept a lesser fine. Guess they'll let the next guy take the police to task.:mad:

Matt Collins
06-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Can it get anymore clear cut? Honestly?

Every conviction should be expunged under "conflict of interest." It is in the officers best interest to lie about the probable cause of a stop, lie about the field test and lie in court under sworn oath.

Shame on the Bills' for capitulating and accepting a lesser offense even though he was innocent. They should have sued the city for every hour he lost from work plus mental frikken anguish.
This is what really pisses me off here. A clear cut case of abuse and the offended not only let it slide but accept a lesser fine. Guess they'll let the next guy take the police to task.:mad:
Judge Napolitano mentions a case in one of his books (Nation of Sheep I think) where it was found by an Ohio court that when the government receives revenue, it will more likely find people guilty.

phill4paul
06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Judge Napolitano mentions a case in one of his books (Nation of Sheep I think) where it was found by an Ohio court that when the government receives revenue, it will more likely find people guilty.

Oh, I've always believed in this. Which is why the revenue incentive should be eliminated. The police and court systems operate under a budget which is payed for by taxes. Any money to be had from an individual should be for restitution to the person that they have harmed or for property damage. Period. End of it.

However, the sheeple believe that individuals should have to pay a "cost to society." Well, the "cost to society" has already been budgeted and payed for. Has any one ever received a refund check from their city because the offender "payed his dues."

Chirp. Chirp. Chirp. The sound of crickets is overwhelming.

So this is in your town isn't it Matt? What do you have up your sleeves? Seems a great launching point to reign in government.

phill4paul
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
///

Brian4Liberty
06-03-2010, 04:31 PM
There is a two part solution to this:

- Via the City Council and Mayor, get the Police policy changed or fire the Police Chief.

- Start an organization that uses this issue to directly fight MADD and other prohibitionist organizations. Certainly drunk driving is wrong, but a State sponsored Spanish Inquisition and desperate search for revenue via extortion from the people is also wrong.

ItsTime
06-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Makes my blood boil

sratiug
06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Fines by government should be illegal, they are economic discrimination.

osan
06-04-2010, 06:10 AM
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=12522527

Ah, see... it is this to which I refer when I say that Americans will fold like cheap suits when those in power go for their master stroke. This story is plenty outrageous, yet the injured parties essentially kowtowed to "government" for convenience's sake - it says as much in the article where Bills is quoted about going on with this life. Oh, poor poor Martin... he'd have to wait four whole months to have the charges dropped. What a pussy. I feel badly for him that those rotten cops did this to him, but I have no sympathy that he pussied out for the sake of "getting on" with his life. He should have made such a stink over this that the cops would be scattering like the cockroaches they are when the lights came upon them. But he didn't and this is the typical response I see and that is why we as a nation are screwed. I don't think we are going to fight anything, to be honest. When the going gets tough, the average American is going to take the easy way out and say "yezzin mazzah" to the man with the whip as his subservient tongue courses over shiny black boots.

God this is so disgusting.