PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Else Find Claims of "Fiscal Conservatism" Laughable?

Morgan Brykein
06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
A lot of conservatives claim to be "fiscally conservative." What I find funny about that claim, is that most of these "fiscal conservatives" support foreign wars of intervention and billions in foreign aid. Far from being fiscally conservative. Yet somehow billions of taxpayer dollars going to foreign welfare is seen as being perfectly in line with the principals of smaller government and fiscal conservatism. Anybody else find this to be terribly silly?

acptulsa
06-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Only the majority of us here...

Ah well. Democrats call themselves defenders of liberty, too. You go with the label you want for yourself, not the one you actually deserve. We all do.

Zippyjuan
06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Liberals and conservatives both like to spend money- they just like to do it on different things usually. They spend to get support from groups they think will help them get elected. Democrats- social spending. Republicans- military and corporations. Republicans tend to make the deficits worse by being more likely to add tax cuts on top of their increased spending. Both like to ignore the "paying for things" bit- the put that off as long as they can or ignore it altogether..

Anti Federalist
06-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Obvious question is obvious.

LoL

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Why would anyone want to be labeled a fiscal conservative in todays age?

So fucking stupid. Yeah, I won't increase the budget, but I'll only 'slightly' lower it. Yeah, instead of the Trillions in committments and taxes, I'll just you know, still spend Trillions. What part about not conserving our current budget do these people not get? I want someone to call themselves the Fiscal Axe, and start axing everything.

Zippyjuan
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Often what is passed off as a "cut" is merely a reduction in the previously projected rate of growth. "Program A was going to have its budget increased by 20%. Instead we are only going to increase it by 10%- therefore we have reduced it by 50%".

Right now we have candidates all over the country running for offices at all levels promising to cut their spending. But in the end, little will change.

"There's nothing in the street
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now the parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!
"
"Won't get Fooled Again" by The Who

ChaosControl
06-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Heck, I'd be satisfied if they were fiscally responsible. If you're going to spend, at least pay for the damn spending.

YumYum
06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Anybody else find this to be terribly silly?

Not silly: hypocritical.

georgiaboy
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I laugh to keep from crying, then cry anyway.

georgiaboy
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I want someone to call themselves the Fiscal Axe, and start axing everything.

time to start electing lumberjacks and firemen.