PDA

View Full Version : Investigative Journalism - Watergate

tangent4ronpaul
05-31-2010, 10:11 PM
I just watched a rebroadcast of a discussion from Ohio State University with Woodward and Bernstein on the Watergate story. It was a riot! Unfortunately, c-span doesn't have streaming video or even a transcript online yet. Hopefully this will happen. The event happened a few days ago. It will probably be rebroadcast this week.

For now a taste:

Woodward: So this story broke late at night and the execs were wondering who would be stupid enough to come in at that hour - my name immediately came to mind... Bernstein was already there, as he was late turning in a story - as usual...

[...]

Woodward: So we found out that the burglars had consecutively numbered $100 bills, bugging equipment and some notes on their person - including one that said "W. House - H. Hunt", we knew that could only mean 2 things... He called the Whore House and I called the White House...

[...]

Woodward: So I called the A.G. and told him we were going to run a story tomm morn and wanted his reaction to it....

A.G. OK

Woodward: It's been discovered that the A.G. has a substantial cash fund....

A.G. JESUS!

Woodward: that is being used to fund covert political activities....

A.G.: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

Woodward: I was obviously not used to talking to the A.G.... Anyway, I read the rest of the first paragraph, and it was pretty clear what direction this story was going and the A.G. said:

A.G.: Tell Katherine (the publisher of the W.P.) that if she prints a word of this she will have her tits in a ringer and after the election we will be doing a story on you....

[...]

Woodward: So I reported this conversation to the editor and asked him what he wanted to do. He said to quote him verbatim but leave out Katherine's tits....

[...]

Woodward: The next day, after the story is published, Katherine shows up in my department - another "rare" event, and asks me if I have any other messages for her?

ROTFLMAO! - Sometimes reality is funnier than the comedy channel!

In the Q&A session they lay out several techniques for getting senior level officials to spill their guts... quite interesting....

Catch the show if you can!

-t