PDA

View Full Version : Concern about foreign policy quote

Thane Eichenauer
05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-05-28/obama-security-strategy-rhetoric.html

“Every time he [Obama] faces any kind of confrontation it seems that he just runs away,” said Kokesh.

This doesn't sound non interventionist to me

Anybody else have the same concerns?

Icymudpuppy
05-31-2010, 07:10 PM

“Every time he [Obama] faces any kind of confrontation it seems that he just runs away,” said Kokesh.

Think of Kennedy and the Cuban missile crises. Should he have "Just run away", or was it good to take that hard line approach. "Take those missiles out of Cuba Mr. Kruschev."

Think of Reagan at the Berlin Wall. Should he have run away, or was it good to take the hard line and say "Mr. Gorbechev, Tear down this wall."

Taking a hard line approach and facing the problem dead on do not necessarily mean you want war. I hardly think Mr. Kokesh advocates war. He just wants to ask hard direct questions and get straight answers.

specsaregood
05-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Taking a hard line approach and facing the problem dead on do not necessarily mean you want war. I hardly think Mr. Kokesh advocates war. He just wants to ask hard direct questions and get straight answers.

In fact, one might reason that taking such approach is less likely to end up in war.

klamath
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
The Casper Weinberger approach. Be very very strong in your stand but very very cautious in going to war.

South Park Fan
05-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Au contraire, onecould interpret it as being very non-interventionist. For example, if one applied it to Obama avoiding Helen Thomas's question about Afghanistan.

Brett
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Non-intervention doesn't mean no military power.

If we're attacked, Kokesh is implying Obama wouldn't respond to the instigation properly. A non-interventionist would respond after a declaration of war and if there was just cause.

MR2Fast2Catch
06-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Think of Kennedy and the Cuban missile crises. Should he have "Just run away", or was it good to take that hard line approach. "Take those missiles out of Cuba Mr. Kruschev."

Think of Reagan at the Berlin Wall. Should he have run away, or was it good to take the hard line and say "Mr. Gorbechev, Tear down this wall."

Well said.

LibertyMage
06-01-2010, 07:38 AM
We are talking about Adam Kokesh here. No, I am not concerned with the comment.