PDA

View Full Version : Racism in america-who started it and the successful end of it

michaelwise
05-31-2010, 06:31 PM
I have a problem with racism in America today. I can't find any police reports of lynchings or civil rights violations prosecuted by recent court decisions. I can only conclude Racism in America has been conquered for lack of evidence to the contrary. Sure some people will always have some personal bias toward race, gender, or ethnicity however, as long as they do not commit a crime based on their bias, they are not guilty of racism for lack of expressing their racial or ethnic biases by committing discrimination. Show me the police reports so I can conclude otherwise.

I may or may not have racial bias that I am aware of. I don't consider myself racist. I was looking for a good test to see if I could be certified as a non racist but I couldn't find any credible test that was without bias from the authors of those tests.

This documentary show scenes of racism that happened so long ago and are in black & white before the age of color TV, it was that long ago. Actual concrete examples of racism that can be documented of that era.

YouTube - RACISM IN AMERICA. WHO STARTED IT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J15TVUPKeBo&feature=related)

Does anyone have a recent clip of a racial crime occurring that's fairly new? Come on, there are so many people with phone cameras, surely someone should have a Youtube video of a recent racial crime that has occurred in the USA as proof of racism in America, or not?

fedup100
05-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Who cares.

silus
05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
I now understand that to be a racist you have to commit a crime. Thanks.

YumYum
05-31-2010, 06:52 PM
For the most part racism is over. It is my generation and younger, of all races, that is making sure racism is a thing of the past.

Something I admire about black people is their ability to forgive. When George Wallace begged the blacks in church to forgive him for his hateful actions; they did. To this day you never read or hear blacks say something bad about George Wallace.

In my media class we were discussing the symbol of the Confederate Flag and what did it mean to us. All of us had a comment except the black students. The professor, who is a Civil Rights activist, asked the black students why they weren't giving any input.

A black girl said: "I can't speak for all the blacks of my generation, but I can say that the majority of us want to move on. While I am proud of my heritage and am well aware of what my ancestors went through, we don't want to dwell in the past."

My professor was shocked. I was shocked, and impressed.

That's what we need to do, and that is "move on".

Theocrat
05-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Socially speaking, racism was harbored via eugenics in the early 20th Century.

BlackTerrel
05-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Mike - I don't follow. What is your point?

michaelwise
05-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Mike - I don't follow. What is your point?

My point is, prove to me egregious racism exists in America by showing me the police reports of racist activity. If you cant prove racism in America exists, then it doesn't.

BlackTerrel
05-31-2010, 10:56 PM
My point is, prove to me egregious racism exists in America by showing me the police reports of racist activity.

Of course there is racist activity in the US. Is it less now in 2010 than it was in 1960? Of course.

If you cant prove racism in America exists, then it doesn't.

What constitutes proof? And are you arguing that there is NO racism in America?

I don't get it.

Kludge
05-31-2010, 11:08 PM
I had the same opinion as the OP while living in an upper-middle-class white suburb with a few "assimilated" minorities. There were plenty of racists around, but I was of the same race, so it was mostly an absurd comedy than a source of anxiety when a group of bigots grouped together in high school with nothing in common except they hated non-whites.

... The environment was completely different once I moved to a large imporished town with no clear racial majority. All the different races stuck together and everything was extremely tense. Racism still seems a ridiculous position to me, but I had (and have) a strong preference to being around white people. It isn't because I think they're "better" - I'm just terrified of encountering a racist of a race which isn't my own. There is generally an extreme sensitivity to race-matters with a few racist people in all races willing to take offense at anything which could be taken as racist (even if in a completely different context than implied). I'm fairly certain I'm not imagining the change, but I am particularly uncomfortable with these extra precautions I think I need to take given my sarcastic & careless nature. I was just about a shut-in before, but I became a real recluse when I moved.

libertybrewcity
06-01-2010, 12:35 AM
racism in the united states is alive and well, unfortunately.

The Patriot
06-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I think it depends what you call racism. I think very few people hate someone because of their racial background. I have never experienced racism as a white man, but that is probably because I have only associated with whites and "assimilated minorities". But through the media, there seems to be more bigotry towards whites than bigotry towards non whites.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-01-2010, 12:49 AM
I now understand that to be a racist you have to commit a crime. Thanks.

+1

lol :D

*anti-gov people commit crimes, therefore....THEY'RE RACISTS! haha

libertybrewcity
06-01-2010, 01:07 AM
racism is the belief that you are superior to other people for no purpose other than because you dont like their color, ethnicity, sexuality, etc.

i think you should be able to let who you want in to your store, but i still don't think it's moral to deny access just because you don't like what someone looks like. their behavior and actions are a different story.

BlackTerrel
06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I think it depends what you call racism. I think very few people hate someone because of their racial background. I have never experienced racism as a white man, but that is probably because I have only associated with whites and "assimilated minorities". But through the media, there seems to be more bigotry towards whites than bigotry towards non whites.

Even if this is true in the media, which I don't really think it is - how would this effect you negatively?

fj45lvr
06-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Native Americans were victims of racism as well.....they were legally prohibited from filing "homesteads" on what was their own land!!! (about exactly the same as Palestinians).

Must of been hard not to want to kill these whites that showed up to homestead while you were forced to go to a "reservation" (i.e. prison).

freshjiva
06-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Mike,

I want to point out two things that you shouldn't confuse: racism and race-based crime.
You are correct that lynchings, white/black gang clashes, white supremacist groups, black empowerment groups, etc., has almost vanished from today's social landscape.

This by no means indicates people cease to have racist thoughts. I am sure if you do some simple Google searches, you'll be able to find research that may indicate black people continue to get paid less than whites for equivalent work, or that employers on average would select a white person over a black person with roughly equivalent credentials. These are not facts, but see if you can find indications of implicit discrimination and inequality in the workplace.

However, the most powerful case I can make that racism does indeed exist in America is the Drug Wars. Ron Paul said it best during his interview on Wolf Blitzer, "14% of inner city blacks commit drug crimes, yet 67% of blacks are in prison." I strongly believe the drug wars in one sense achieve a possibly racist agenda: to institute all the various crimes and clashes that are connected to drug crimes in order to keep black people and minorities down and relegated to the inner city. There is more than a handful of research done on this subject.