PDA

View Full Version : Cops beat bicyclist at LA protest

Anti Federalist
05-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Help me out here folks, what have we got?

My net connection is very limited and I can't watch the video.

YouTube - Hollywood Cops Attack Bike Riders (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl7WWkQrkyo&feature=player_embedded)

kylejack
05-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Eh, cops swinging their legs at Critical Mass cyclists. Can't really see too much. Then they grab and arrest the guy who was taking video.

Reason
05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
looks like the cops are detaining someone across the street and the cameraman is taping and yelling at them

then one of the cops supervising the detainment kicks at a passing bicyclist but I don't see him fall or anything

then it looks like the cops come over and detain the camera guy likely because they noticed he was taping / was yelling at them

Nate-ForLiberty
05-31-2010, 03:43 PM
starts out with a bunch of bike riders riding down the street. One rider has stopped to film the cops arresting another biker. A cop kicks at one of the passing bikers. The guy filming shouts "wtf was that for?". Once the convoy of bikers has passed the cops converge on the guy filming.

Really not a bad incident. If the guy had kept his mouth shut he would have probably been alright. Don't know why they were arresting the bikers.

Anti Federalist
05-31-2010, 03:45 PM
OK, so in the great grand scheme of things, nothing too awfully abusive?

silus
05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
starts out with a bunch of bike riders riding down the street. One rider has stopped to film the cops arresting another biker. A cop kicks at one of the passing bikers. The guy filming shouts "wtf was that for?". Once the convoy of bikers has passed the cops converge on the guy filming.

Really not a bad incident. If the guy had kept his mouth shut he would have probably been alright. Don't know why they were arresting the bikers.
Please don't buy into the false status quo that cops can do whatever they want, just 'cause...

kylejack
05-31-2010, 03:50 PM
From what we can see, nothing compared to the Patrick Pogan case, where the officer tackled the cyclist and then wrote it up as the cyclist assaulting him.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Please don't buy into the false status quo that cops can do whatever they want, just 'cause...

I don't dummy :p and that isn't what I said. What I said was, that the guy filming probably would have been left alone if he had kept his mouth shut. By shouting and trying to act like a badass he risked the confiscation of that video. Then no one would have seen what happened. Got to be smart and pissed. Not just pissed.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-31-2010, 04:49 PM
OK, so in the great grand scheme of things, nothing too awfully abusive?

no, but good to have the video anyway.

LittleLightShining
05-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Eh, cops swinging their legs at Critical Mass cyclists. Can't really see too much. Then they grab and arrest the guy who was taking video.

Critical Mass (I have no idea who they are) were organizing nationwide BP protests today according to the Boycott BP facebook page.

kylejack
05-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Critical Mass (I have no idea who they are) were organizing nationwide BP protests today according to the Boycott BP facebook page.
Critical Mass is a mass bike ride that occurs in most major cities. I am in the Houston Critical Mass group. We take to the streets on the last Friday of every month.

Brian4Liberty
05-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Critical Mass is a mass bike ride that occurs in most major cities. I am in the Houston Critical Mass group. We take to the streets on the last Friday of every month.

And what does it hope to accomplish by creating a traffic jam?

kylejack
05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Cars rule the road every day. They can afford us a few minutes one day a month.

silus
05-31-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't dummy :p and that isn't what I said. What I said was, that the guy filming probably would have been left alone if he had kept his mouth shut. By shouting and trying to act like a badass he risked the confiscation of that video. Then no one would have seen what happened. Got to be smart and pissed. Not just pissed.
That is some piss poor logic. If he wanted to shout and "act like a badass," good for him. He was within his rights, the police were not. The end. You shouldnt encourage people to tailor their behavior around the potential illegal response of authority figures.

Inflation
05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
And what does it hope to accomplish by creating a traffic jam?

You can't look up the answers yourself on the critical mass website?

http://drkatesview.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/criticalmass.jpg

Without even looking, I can tell you that creating a traffic jam on purpose:

1. demonstrates and emphasizes our over dependence on gas and cars, in general

2. demonstrates and emphasizes the absurdity of the mass urban flight that takes place at the end of each work day

3. demonstrates and emphasizes the problems with using autos in densely packed cities

4. demonstrates and emphasizes the alternatives to driving, such as biking

5. demonstrates and emphasizes the angry road rage creating anti social nature of autos, and the fun of bikes

6. demonstrates and emphasizes the egotistical connection people attach to their cars, when they throw temper tantrums during critical mass

Travlyr
05-31-2010, 07:11 PM

http://drkatesview.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/criticalmass.jpg

2. demonstrates and emphasizes the absurdity of the mass urban flight that takes place at the end of each work day

3. demonstrates and emphasizes the problems with using autos in densely packed cities

5. demonstrates and emphasizes the angry road rage creating anti social nature of autos, and the fun of bikes

6. demonstrates and emphasizes the egotistical connection people attach to their cars, when they throw temper tantrums during critical mass

Collectivism rules!

t0rnado
05-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Cops wouldn't have kicked someone at a 2nd Amendment protest or an open carry rally:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lPOV8FZAOCI/S7RUyzgd_sI/AAAAAAAABhw/3V6ryw7IxNE/s1600/guns+paul+fat+1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_k07pirzBU34/S7AIYY_a8JI/AAAAAAAAEKU/mIe0k4tvDck/s1600/RandPaulrally3.jpg

Vessol
05-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Collectivism rules!

If they were collectivists they'd be wearing the same colors/uniforms and have the same bikes.

Travlyr
05-31-2010, 07:31 PM
If they were collectivists they'd be wearing the same colors/uniforms and have the same bikes.

Maybe I don't understand collectivism properly, but their actions seem to restrict the freedom of movement for individuals not in their collective association.

silus
05-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't bother. Using his logic, being human by default makes you a collectivist.

Vessol
05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Maybe I don't understand collectivism properly, but their actions seem to restrict the freedom of movement for individuals not in their collective association.

So they should only be allowed to protest in a specified area?

Travlyr
05-31-2010, 07:34 PM
So they should only be allowed to protest in a specified area?

I don't know about that, I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with it.

LittleLightShining
05-31-2010, 08:41 PM

I misread. It was a "critical mass-style" protest.

MN Patriot
05-31-2010, 08:44 PM

All well and good in sunny California. Try it in Minnesota in January.

Urban flight is a result of liberals. Why live in urban punk land when you can live in a civilized culture in the suburbs?

Zippyjuan
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM

Urban flight is a result of liberals. Why live in urban punk land when you can live in a civilized culture in the suburbs?

Your last line reminded me of this scene from the movie "Repo Man".
YouTube - Repo Man, The Death of Duke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIaS0lh-uo)

Inflation
05-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Collectivism rules!

You mean unlike state-backed, taxpayer subsidized petro-industrial complex supplied gasoline, burning in UAW and Government Motors built cars, on public roads?

Sure son, whatever you say.

I'll take a horse or bike as a symbol of freedom over a car any day of the week.

A collectivist bicycle is called a tandem.

http://www.rushonbusiness.com/Tandem%20bike.jpg

Inflation
05-31-2010, 10:42 PM

Do they have January Critical Mass in Minnesota? That would be hardcore! :eek:

Agree about the cause of urban flight. Isn't it funny that the liberals are now complaining about it?

Nate-ForLiberty
05-31-2010, 11:46 PM
That is some piss poor logic. If he wanted to shout and "act like a badass," good for him. He was within his rights, the police were not. The end. You shouldnt encourage people to tailor their behavior around the potential illegal response of authority figures.

wait a minute. I'm not saying he was breaking the law or outside his rights or that the police were justified in arresting him. ALL I SAID WAS that if he had not antagonized the cops they probably would have left him alone. I'm not saying "we should all shut the hell up and let the cops do their job because they are all heroes and deserve our unabashed praise and worship and we should never interfere with their duty because if someone is getting arrested they are probably a bad person anyway."

WHAT I WAS SAYING is that in this particular incident, the guy should have kept quiet and just took his video and then posted it later. There was no reason to allow his frustration get the better of him. Pick your battles. From what I could tell in this video this guy was by himself. There was no one there to aid him. There was no one else taking video. Seriously, what did he think was going to happen? They were just going to ignore him and walk away? The cops were already arresting people and displaying aggression toward the protesters. If the cops had any brains they would have confiscated and destroyed his video. HE'S LUCKY HE GOT IT BACK AND ALL THAT HAPPENED TO HIM WERE SOME CUFFS. The cops could have just as easily destroyed the camera and beat the shit out of this guy. What good would that have done?

If we are ever going to end the militarization of and the abuses by the police then we have to stop acting like morons and start using our heads. These abuses have been happening for decades. The only difference now is that we have a way to indisputably document them. Cameras don't protect us though. And we have to remember that. Even numbers don't protect us for the most part. They can give the police pause, but they will always show up with more goons and more guns.

One example of "using our heads" is to show up to these protest with camera in hand connected to a laptop streaming live online. Not only should we be streaming live, but we should let every news outlet know. Not just local news stations, but even overseas companies like RT. Feed that shit to people as it happens. Show the world unfiltered that it is the police who are the aggressors. Sheep always side with the cops because the idea that someone is there to "protect and serve" comforts them. If they hear about some young protester who got arrested they will think he deserved it. Having the evidence after the fact isn't enough because they'll never see it. They don't look for it. They don't want to know about it.

Part of the reason the Civil Rights movement was successful was that the total disregard for human life by the police was displayed live on TV and constantly rerun. The news cameras were there because hundreds of people were there protesting. Hundreds of people are no longer enough to warrant news coverage, and the spin these days is so far beyond what it was 50 years ago.

If this one particular guy had used his brain, here is what might have happened.

He would have sat across the street quietly filming the cops arrest the other guy. When that thug cop kicked at the cyclist, our filming hero would have remained cool and under control. He would not have moved. He would have continued filming. If he actually had any balls, after the cyclists passed he might have even calmly approached the police and asked what the man got arrested for. Maybe he could have gotten a close up of our leg spasming friend here. Cops have a "leg" up on the population because the general population think cops are their "friends". We should act like their friends, and then rat them out like fucking crazy.

We already know the police approach their job as "us vs. them". Why humor that kind of mentality? You will never win a war when you are out manned, out gunned, and out-public opinion-ed. The shadow government in this country has kicked our asses for so long because we've been stupid.

Time to change tactics.

*and if you have an axe to grind, grind it on someone who's not on your side. That's also a bad tactic.

Brian4Liberty
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM

I am in San Francisco. I know about "Critical Mass". Surrounding and beating on cars with women and children in them really makes a point. :rolleyes:

I am in favor of bike riding. I am not in favor of pointless, childish behavior. Critical Mass has not accomplished a single thing.

Perhaps the National Basket Weaving Association should go out and block traffic once a month to "demonstrate and emphasize" the joys of basket weaving.

Why not become active in City affairs, and push for more bike trails, bike lanes and even make some streets exclusively for bicycles?

But it's all OK because it's for their cause. :rolleyes:

Bruno
06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
You mean unlike state-backed, taxpayer subsidized petro-industrial complex supplied gasoline, burning in UAW and Government Motors built cars, on public roads?

Sure son, whatever you say.

I'll take a horse or bike as a symbol of freedom over a car any day of the week.

A collectivist bicycle is called a tandem.

http://www.rushonbusiness.com/Tandem%20bike.jpg

Is that pic from Ragbrai?

Inflation
06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I know about "Critical Mass".

Critical Mass has not accomplished a single thing.

Why not become active in City affairs, and push for more bike trails, bike lanes and even make some streets exclusively for bicycles?

The first quoted claim contradicts the next two.

If you actually did "know about Critical Mass" then you would realize that they have accomplished several things, and they do lobby for better bike stuff.

Among other specific accomplishments (which you can Google), San Fran's CM was the first and has inspired copycat events around the world, in over 300 cities, setting an example of leaderless resistance.

Did the mean bikes make you share the road with them, for a few minutes out of the rest of the month? Poor you! How their silly costumes and fun attitudes must have stung your car entombed, self-righteous ego.

Why go into SF when you know in advance CM will be asserting their right to a share of the common thoroughfares?

Maybe you should stay home and sulk, when the evil pedalists are afoot.

Or go ahead and enjoy soaking in your road rage, while those darn hippy kids bring topics you don't wish to confront to the fore:

http://images.wikia.com/criticalmass/images/b/bc/Wiki.png

With traffic congestion, pollution, and road rage on the rise, growing numbers around the world are advocating for transportation alternatives, and Critical Mass is at the cutting edge of this mindset.

We Are Traffic! tracks this leaderless, grassroots movement from its beginnings in San Francisco in 1992 to its spread across the globe. With a radical direct-action approach the participants of Critical Mass are celebrating the bicycle and in turn taking on perhaps the century's most sacred cow: the automobile.

Presenting both the successes and failures of this unique movement We Are Traffic! shows how Critical Mass has brought together complete strangers in an exuberant, commercial-free public space filled with creativity and unpredictability. In its efforts to raise awareness Critical Mass has both inspired and challenged the public while often confounding public officials and police departments.

We Are Traffic! is a fascinating analysis of a modern politicalmovement: Critical Mass--which challenges the very notion of what a political movement should look like and how it should function.

PS Check out criticalmanners.org if you want to participate in a legal, civilly obedient alternative. For some reason, the nice-guy approach isn't as popular. Why would that be? Maybe most realize that nice doesn't cut it these days?

Travlyr
06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
http://critical-mass.info/

MelissaWV
06-02-2010, 11:47 AM
The first quoted claim contradicts the next two.

If you actually did "know about Critical Mass" then you would realize that they have accomplished several things, and they do lobby for better bike stuff.

Among other specific accomplishments (which you can Google), San Fran's CM was the first and has inspired copycat events around the world, in over 300 cities, setting an example of leaderless resistance.

Did the mean bikes make you share the road with them, for a few minutes out of the rest of the month? Poor you! How their silly costumes and fun attitudes must have stung your car entombed, self-righteous ego.

Why go into SF when you know in advance CM will be asserting their right to a share of the common thoroughfares?

Maybe you should stay home and sulk, when the evil pedalists are afoot.

Or go ahead and enjoy soaking in your road rage, while those darn hippy kids bring topics you don't wish to confront to the fore....

I haven't encountered Critical Mass, but it's a bit naive to say "why don't you stay home?!?" Working in DC was a nightmare in part because of the protests. You'd simply be trying to get to work, and some braless nutjob in a fairy costume out in the rain is suddenly wagging her glitter wand in your face to protest the IMF. Then, of course, there were the police who'd show up to attempt to "contain" the protesters. Then there was the media who was trying to get pictures, if the protest was considered important enough. Yay for having to leave for work twice as early just to bypass people wandering around who, if you actually stop and talk to them, often had no idea what they were really protesting or why.

If you have to go to work, "the hippies were in my way" does not generally cut it with the boss.

silus
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
If you are in Colorado, the Denver Cruisers is where its at. So much better than critical mass, imo.