PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Considers Law to License Journalists

Matt Collins
05-31-2010, 10:45 AM
"A Michigan lawmaker wants to license reporters to ensure they’re credible and vet them for “good moral character.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/28/michigan-considers-law-license-journalists

LibertarianfromGermany
05-31-2010, 10:46 AM
awesome. It's about time they raise standards for journalists, they really suck lately!

Matt Collins
05-31-2010, 10:59 AM
This is aimed at bloggers I am willing to bet.

mczerone
05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Of course this makes no sense from a peaceful, rational economic perspective. Another example of the state abrogating more functions to itself, and no doubt the results will be unjust, inefficient, mismanaged, and harmful to human well being.

There's a chance that the state itself will kill this as being "unconstitutional", but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think that Mr. Patterson needs to be covered by the "free press" like a swarm of locusts from now until he gives up the support of the licensing.

susano
05-31-2010, 11:27 AM
awesome. It's about time they raise standards for journalists, they really suck lately!

Are you nuts? This is to control the flow of information and stop citizen journalists.

This shit will not fly.

pcosmar
05-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Damn,
I am posting from behind enemy lines.

This state is so screwed.
:(

Anti Federalist
05-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow, he's serious...

WTF?

susano
05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
More intersting is the Poynter Institute, mentioned in the article, and their working with the communist Ford Foundation.

The criminals running the establishment are scared and looking for ways to shut down people writing about their activities.

Fuck 'em.

nate895
05-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Article I, Section 5 of the Constitution of the State of Michigan:

Every person may freely speak, write, express and publish his views on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of such right; and no law shall be enacted to restrain or abridge the liberty of speech or of the press.

pcosmar
05-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Article I, Section 5 of the Constitution of the State of Michigan:

Every person may freely speak, write, express and publish his views on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of such right; and no law shall be enacted to restrain or abridge the liberty of speech or of the press.

That would make just one more they are ignoring.
:(

1835 Michigan: Every person has a right to bear arms for the defence of himself and the State.
Not so any more.

susano
05-31-2010, 11:49 AM
They can't control us.

LibertarianfromGermany
05-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Are you nuts? This is to control the flow of information and stop citizen journalists.

This shit will not fly.

Of course you would have to set reasonable standards, but I think this is a first good step to fight a lot of the propaganda that has been spewed lately. Jefferson himself said that education is one of the most important things there is and also that most newspapers of his day were useless and faulty. I'm sure he would support this law if it will succeed in making newspapers and journalists in general more objective. It's especially in times like this that we need Journalists to be fair to everyone!

Matt Collins
05-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Of course you would have to set reasonable standards, but I think this is a first good step to fight a lot of the propaganda that has been spewed lately. Jefferson himself said that education is one of the most important things there is and also that most newspapers of his day were useless and faulty. I'm sure he would support this law if it will succeed in making newspapers and journalists in general more objective. It's especially in times like this that we need Journalists to be fair to everyone!
Are you a troll? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Anti Federalist
05-31-2010, 12:34 PM

Holy smokes, what in the world makes you think the system would uphold "Jeffersonian ideals" or even basic objectivity through such a law??

They would use it to squelch out any opinion or news that damages the system and nothing more.

LibertarianfromGermany
05-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Come on, don't take everything so serious :p

libertybrewcity
05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
this would get overturned in a second, even in liberal michigan. im sure the IJ (http://www.ij.org/) would be all over this.

erowe1
05-31-2010, 03:50 PM
The headline is wrong.

"Michigan" isn't considering anything. Aside from the fact that "Michigan" doesn't have a mind and can't "consider" anything anyway, it's not even the case that the Michigan legislature, or even a committee within it, is considering such a law, or at least if they are, the article fails to mention it. All this is is one legislator who introduced this bill. If nothing more happens, this is no more newsworthy than someone expressing that opinion in a letter to the editor.

That's one of my pet peeves when news sources present stories about a single legislator's hairbrained idea as though it's something that readers should worry is just one step away from being law. They do that a lot.

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
"A Michigan lawmaker wants to license reporters to ensure they’re credible and vet them for “good moral character.”

Well there is one fucknut I hope loses his elected position. License reporters, that would be fucking hilarious if it weren't so goddamned scary.

LibForestPaul
05-31-2010, 06:22 PM
The headline is wrong.

"Michigan" isn't considering anything. Aside from the fact that "Michigan" doesn't have a mind and can't "consider" anything anyway, it's not even the case that the Michigan legislature, or even a committee within it, is considering such a law, or at least if they are, the article fails to mention it. All this is is one legislator who introduced this bill. If nothing more happens, this is no more newsworthy than someone expressing that opinion in a letter to the editor.

That's one of my pet peeves when news sources present stories about a single legislator's hairbrained idea as though it's something that readers should worry is just one step away from being law. They do that a lot.

What does he have to gain by this?
What does he have to lose by this?
Does he have more to lose than gain?

Yes, one hair-brained, messianic member, acting on his own, legislator.

pvnole89
05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I am pretty sure the SCUS would strike the law down as a violation of the first amendment.

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I am pretty sure the SCUS would strike the law down as a violation of the first amendment.

I wouldn't bet that on that.

M House
06-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Considering what are media considers good journalism... Why is this remotely a good idea? Government gets involved, I guarantee they will suck even more.