PDA

View Full Version : Moving the Goalposts: Newsweek assumes Rand Paul win, and then a loss in 2016

Galileo Galilei
05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Moving the Goalposts: Newsweek assumes Rand Paul win, and then a loss in 2016

I found this article on the homepage of www.realclearpolitics.com:

2010 Likely to Bring a Crop of One-Term Senate Wonders
Why this year’s U.S. Senate midterms are shaping up a lot like 1980, when Republicans picked up 12 seats. Half of them lasted only one term.

by Eleanor Clift

The phenomenon of senators who have little impact is not limited to any one election or party. Senators come and go, and in a hothouse political environment, only a handful sustain a career long enough to go down in history as one of the greats.

This is an off-year election, and there’s no popular politician with coattails to ride, but the voters are restive, and that’s always dangerous for the party in power. Exhibit A is Rand Paul, the libertarian eye doctor who upended his party’s chosen nominee for an open Senate seat in Kentucky.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/28/2010-likely-to-bring-one-term-wonders.html

Whoever wrote this is not only an idiot, but has a lot of free time. Either that or they just print b*llsh*t and hope at least a few few people believe it. But I guess after it is all said and done, this is typical MSM spin.

But even the logic is wrong, becasue the one-termers in 1980 rode on Reagan's coattails. Rand Paul is not riding on any coattails. The author is not really making a prediction, she is telling us she hates Rand Paul, she hates the tea party, she hates the Constitution, and she hates libertarians.

sailingaway
05-30-2010, 05:37 PM
By 2016 his constituents will love him.

low preference guy
05-30-2010, 05:43 PM
By 2016 his constituents the world will love him.

fixed.

trey4sports
05-30-2010, 05:47 PM
But even the logic is wrong, becasue the one-termers in 1980 rode on Reagan's coattails. Rand Paul is not riding on any coattails. The author is not really making a prediction, she is telling us she hates Rand Paul, she hates the tea party, she hates the Constitution, and she hates libertarians.

Well, his father IS the greatest statesmen we've ever known....

AdamT
05-30-2010, 05:52 PM
F this CFR scum.

libertybrewcity
05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
kentucky seems like a fairly conservative state. he can do a lot of damage to the establishment in 6 years and plus, mcconnell and bunning have both lasted through senate elections despite being fairly unpopular nationwide.

Anti Federalist
05-30-2010, 06:08 PM
by Eleanor Clift

Answered my question

angelatc
05-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Eleanor Clift - she's easily one of the most delusional liberals in the world. You've probably seen her - she's on the McLaughlin Group. Anything she says is laughable, this included.

I can't wait until the hubby gets home to show him this!

ETA - ok, so AF managed to say it with less verbiage!

low preference guy
05-30-2010, 06:18 PM
i believe Eleanor Clift and Howard Fineman are the two most mindfucked people in America. they'd made a great couple.

This Fineman quote is not to vent; it's an academic exercise to show that the absolutely most idiotic people get to write in the "prestigious" publications. the more of an idiot you are, the more prestige you have

If Dr. Rand Paul doesn't immediately apologize for holding his victory rally at a private club—and doesn't abandon his opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act—then he will not only pollute the Tea Party, he will severely damage the GOP's chances of winning control of either the House or Senate this fall.

angelatc
05-30-2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2008/cyb20081216.asp

Eleanor Clift hailed Gov. Rod Blagojevich for his "fresh" approach to health care. He was "worth listening to," and with his "cherubic face," he reminded Clift of "another eager young governor, Bill Clinton circa '92." He was a rarity for daring to rest on a self-proclaimed "moral standpoint."

His "fresh" approach to health care was to just add a huge spending package onto a bill that was on his desk, then signing it. Get that? No legislature vote, no discussions - just Gov Rod tacking stuff on. He got sued and lost PDQ.

Anti Federalist
05-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Eleanor Clift - she's easily one of the most delusional liberals in the world. You've probably seen her - she's on the McLaughlin Group. Anything she says is laughable, this included.

I can't wait until the hubby gets home to show him this!

ETA - ok, so AF managed to say it with less verbiage!

LoL.

I'm as busy as one legged man at an ass kicking contest right now.

Brevity is my friend.

FSP-Rebel
05-30-2010, 06:29 PM
This author was jokingly referred to as Eleanor "Rodham" Clift during the Clinton administration. She is definitely a fixture of our problem on the potomac.

Galileo Galilei
05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Here is an idea. If Newsweek is still in business in May of 2016, Clift can write a column denouncing Rand as "only" a two-term Senator who is certain to lose in 2022.

libertybrewcity
05-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Here is an idea. If Newsweek is still in business in May of 2016, Clift can write a column denouncing Rand as "only" a two-term Senator who is certain to lose in 2022.

lol, that's usually how it goes.

anaconda
05-31-2010, 04:59 PM
only a handful sustain a career long enough to go down in history as one of the greats.

Or shall we say "go down in history as one of the filthy and corrupt?"

The only thing that will keep Rand from being in the Senate in 2017 is if he trades the job in for President of the United States.

BlackTerrel
05-31-2010, 05:14 PM
A LOT can go down between now and 2016. We'll deal with that when it comes.

Let's focus on winning in 2010 first.

Carole
06-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Rand Paul has said he wishes to serve no more than two terms. Period. :)

He believes in term limits, in his case, self-imposed.

Cowlesy
06-01-2010, 07:33 AM
LoL.

I'm as busy as one legged man at an ass kicking contest right now.

Brevity is my friend.

hahahahahahaha

South Park Fan
06-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Eleanor Clift is borderline Marxist on the McLaughlin Group.