PDA

View Full Version : Some breakdown of the Courier Journal poll

sailingaway
05-30-2010, 08:59 AM
They have left the cross tabs private, but do say this:

"The Bluegrass Poll found that Paul has clear advantages among men and people in the 35-49 age group. He has sizable leads among those who consider themselves conservatives, abortion foes and those who agree with the political views espoused by the tea party, which favors lower taxes and smaller government.

Paul also leads handily among white voters, college graduates, those who attend church regularly, earn more than $50,000 a year and those who own guns.

He is strongest in Western Kentucky and nearly as strong in north-central Kentucky.

Conway, conversely, leads among voters age 18-34, African Americans, moderates, liberals and those who don't agree with the tea party.

He also enjoys leads among those who favor abortion rights, who never go to church and who don't own guns."

So we are never going to win those who favor abortion rights if that is their key issue, or liberals.

Moderates we can work on and WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS NONSENSE about Conway leading with those 18-34?

THAT we absolutely need to address.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20105300332

Epic
05-30-2010, 09:15 AM
How in the world could Rand lose 18-34?

specsaregood
05-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Moderates we can work on and WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS NONSENSE about Conway leading with those 18-34?
THAT we absolutely need to address.

Why bother? That voting block is always "liberal". Sounds to me like Rand has the big voting blocks locked up.

thomas-in-ky
05-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Wasn't that one of Obama's strongest demographic groups?

sailingaway
05-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Wasn't that one of Obama's strongest demographic groups?

And Ron Paul's!!!

Brett85
05-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Because of the Civil Right's Act controversy. People that young aren't smart enough to understand Rand's argument on this issue. They just think that Rand "supports segregation" and "hates disabled people." Also, I am 24, but most voters my age are ignorant beyond belief.

rprprs
05-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Because of the Civil Right's Act controversy. People that young aren't smart enough to understand Rand's argument on this issue. They just think that Rand "supports segregation" and "hates disabled people." Also, I am 24, but most voters my age are ignorant beyond belief.

And, at least in the younger range of that 18-34 spectrum, they often tend to be hopelessly idealistic, as I was at that age.:o

Patrick Henry
05-30-2010, 01:40 PM
"The Bluegrass Poll found that Paul has clear advantages among men and people in the 35-49 age group. He has sizable leads among those who consider themselves conservatives, abortion foes and those who agree with the political views espoused by the tea party, which favors lower taxes and smaller government.

Paul also leads handily among white voters, college graduates, those who attend church regularly, earn more than $50,000 a year and those who own guns.

He is strongest in Western Kentucky and nearly as strong in north-central Kentucky.

He has all the groups needed to win the race IMO, especially for KY.

BenIsForRon
05-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Imagine what you would think of him if you didn't know about the liberty movement. You could only base your opinion on what you've heard him say during the past year.

You would think he's a pro-war, pro-oil, anti-civil rights candidate. Rand's playing to the "conservative" base has put him in a tricky position. It will be hard for him to get votes from people that think his policies are similar to Bush's.

I think this is a huge mistake on Rand's part. He doesn't have to come out in full defense of BP to get the coal-crowd, he already has them, because Conway is for cap and trade. He should also just pretend like he's all for the ADA, OSHA, and the like. He's not going to be able to explain his positions thoroughly, so its best for him to take the non-controversial stance.

specsaregood
05-30-2010, 03:33 PM
He should also just pretend like he's all for the ADA, OSHA, and the like.
What makes you think the "coal crowd" likes those agencies or the rules they mandate?

BenIsForRon
05-30-2010, 03:39 PM
What makes you think the "coal crowd" likes those agencies or the rules they mandate?

Even if they don't, it's not a make or break issue for them. For moderates and people on the left, however, being against those things will contribute to the narrative that Rand is backwards or regressive.

Narrative is the key word here guys. People don't delve into the issue deeply, they just pick a few things and make a decision on what "type" of guy the think a candidate is. If they get the idea that Rand is Bush on steroids, you're going to have problems.

We have to bring back the narrative that Rand is the anti-establishment candidate. That narrative hasn't completely died yet, so we just have to push that angle... and the angle that Conway is corrupt.

Brett85
05-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Imagine what you would think of him if you didn't know about the liberty movement. You could only base your opinion on what you've heard him say during the past year.

You would think he's a pro-war, pro-oil, anti-civil rights candidate. Rand's playing to the "conservative" base has put him in a tricky position. It will be hard for him to get votes from people that think his policies are similar to Bush's.

I think this is a huge mistake on Rand's part. He doesn't have to come out in full defense of BP to get the coal-crowd, he already has them, because Conway is for cap and trade. He should also just pretend like he's all for the ADA, OSHA, and the like. He's not going to be able to explain his positions thoroughly, so its best for him to take the non-controversial stance.

He didn't "defend" BP. He just criticized the Obama administration for using violent rhetoric. Do you really think that it's appropriate for them to say that they are "putting their boot on the throat of BP?" That sounds like something Hugo Chavez would say. Even Obama himself said that comment was over the line.

anaconda
05-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Why bother? That voting block is always "liberal". Sounds to me like Rand has the big voting blocks locked up.

Then why is Ron Paul so popular with "young people?' Seems Rand should absolutely crush the 18-25 year old segment AT A MINIMUM!

specsaregood
He didn't "defend" BP. He just criticized the Obama administration for using violent rhetoric. Do you really think that it's appropriate for them to say that they are "putting their boot on the throat of BP?" That sounds like something Hugo Chavez would say. Even Obama himself said that comment was over the line.

And might I point out that Rand was AHEAD of the curve with that comment. Since then I have heard at least 3 right-wing radio talking heads rant about the exact same thing without mentioning Rand.

specsaregood
Then why is Ron Paul so popular with "young people?' Seems Rand should absolutely crush the 18-25 year old segment AT A MINIMUM!

If you think Ron Paul had a larger # of 18-25yr old supporters than Obama, well then you are mistaken.

BlackTerrel
05-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for posting the breakdown.

Brett85
05-30-2010, 04:15 PM
It's interesting that Rand still gets 21% of the "liberal" vote. I thought that after the whole "civil rights controversy" Rand's numbers among liberals would be much lower.

anaconda
05-30-2010, 04:21 PM
If you think Ron Paul had a larger # of 18-25yr old supporters than Obama, well then you are mistaken.

Point well taken.

BenIsForRon
05-30-2010, 04:38 PM

He also said "accidents happen". I don't know if he personally holds BP to blame, but he definitely came across as defending them.

HarryBrowneLives
05-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Also find it odd that Conway has 20-30% of self described gun owners and pro-life folks.:rolleyes: There's a lot to like about these numbers in terms of future growth.

Brett85
05-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Also find it odd that Conway has 20-30% of self described gun owners and pro-life folks.:rolleyes: There's a lot to like about these numbers in terms of future growth.

Conway actually gets 42% of gun owners, which is a huge number. There's HUGE room for growth there. Rand needs to run ads ASAP mentioning that Conway supports federal gun control laws.

fj45lvr
05-31-2010, 04:28 AM
And Ron Paul's!!!

but Rons support was a fraction of the total of that age group so this is not surprising in the least to me.

Young people are realistically closer to the instruction their mind is full of from the state institutions of "learning".

sailingaway
05-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Conway actually gets 42% of gun owners, which is a huge number. There's HUGE room for growth there. Rand needs to run ads ASAP mentioning that Conway supports federal gun control laws.

Yeah, but being interested in an issue doesn't necessarily make it your driving issue. I agree Rand needs to turn the campaign back to actual issues, however. The Dems and Dem media absolutely don't want it about the issues. They want it about how different his point of view is....

Because the point of view followed in DC these many years has done SO well for us....