10-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Cool letter.

Lord Xar
10-12-2007, 05:05 PM
that is really good.

nayjevin
10-12-2007, 05:06 PM
very nicely done. I said:

Subject: RP - did you do any research before you spoke?

Voters should. And so should those in the media.

Look up 'accuracy of telephone polls' on google. They are just as untrustworthy as online polls.

Jay

PS
Over half of people I talk to who hear Ron Paul speak like him. Many are switching parties just for him. I am one of those people. So is my Mother. So is my Sister. So is my Brother. So is my Boss. So is my Girlfriend. So are 3 of my best friends. So is my Girlfriends boss. So is the head of the PTA at my daughter's school. It goes on.

bobmurph
10-12-2007, 05:07 PM
awesome letter, rodent.

the land-line thing is a great point. I wonder how many ron paul supporters even have a landline.

Brian4Liberty
10-12-2007, 05:10 PM
My response to Mr. Harwood:

Your response to Ron Paul supporters was well-thought
out and honest. But when you say that Ron Paul is "out
of step" with the Republican Party, I must disagree.
I have been a member of the Republican Party for 25
years. The values that Ron Paul represents are exactly
what made me become a Republican in the first place:
small government, less taxes, fewer regulations, and
fiscal responsibility.

It would be more accurate to say that Ron Paul is “out
of step” with the Bush Administration, and that is
exactly why so many people are excited about Ron Paul.
I would dare say that being out of step with the Bush
administration is in line with both the “mainstream
sentiment” of the Republican Party, as well as the
sentiment of the American people in general.

RP4ME
10-12-2007, 05:12 PM
His open letter made me so mad. I'm furious. Welp, I'm off to the Ron Paul NYC visit tonight, where I will give Ron Paul more money.

Very well crafted letter. Cheers to you!

Nickel
10-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Hello Mr. Harwood,

I would like to thank you for your response even though I'm a RP supporter and don't really care about the online poll. I do have another question that is based on your comment:

"Because Paul's views--respectable, well-articulated and sincerely held as they are--are plainly out of step with the mainstream sentiment of the party he is running in."

This might sound sarcastic, but I honestly don't mean it that way: who is the media to make this kind of judgment?

I'm not in the mainstream of the _current_ Republican party, but that mainstream is going to change because of people like me. After all, I've been a Democrat for nearly 10 years (previous to that I wasn't old enough to vote) and I am going to change party affiliation for the Ohio primary to vote for RP.

In all of your years in covering politics, hasn't it been evident that politics aren't static? What's mainstream today won't necessarily be mainstream tomorrow. All one has to do is look at the public opinion of the Iraq war to see this.

Why not start giving RP some serious attention - he's earned it. Just look at his money. Do some real reporting and let the people decide if he's out
of the mainstream in the Republican party or if the Republican party is out of the mainstream as far as the voters are concerned. I have a feeling it's the latter.

Hope to hear from you,
Name
Address
Phone
(So he knows I'm real)

lynnf
10-12-2007, 05:35 PM
i sent a response, too, which is also posted in another thread, but I repeat here

I am writing about John Harwood's My Open Letter To Ron Paul Supporters.

Thank you, Mr. Harwood for your considered response. I appreciate your candor.

I do still beg to differ on one point. You say Ron Paul has zero chance and that is wrong, and you say it is because his views are out of step with the party. That just means that we have a lot of educating to do. The odds are against us in that, but they are not zero. The mainstream media is partly responsible for the need for education, but we know that is due to their corporate ownership among other things. Ron Paul has coined a phrase that applies to explain his successes: "Freedom is popular."

And, I want to point out that Ron Paul is in good company because at one point,
Harry Truman, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton had zero chance also. Too bad the voters didn't listen to that and follow the pundits directions.

Lynn

DjLoTi
10-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I wrote him a letter as well

ronpaulhawaii
10-14-2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=40271

(final paragragh)

Mr. Harwood sir, your open letter should be seen as a challenge by Ron Paul supporters. You have thrown down the gauntlet. It is up to them now to show that you are wrong. Ron Paul can win the Republican primary. He can and should win the presidency, for he is the best man for the job. He is the best hope for our country. He may be the best hope for the world. He is a man deserving of our respect and admiration for his principled stance and his record of standing up for the Constitution of the United States of America and for the ideals this nation was built upon. It is not yet time for these ideals to die. Ron Paul supporters, such as they are, must redouble their efforts to get the word out, and they must show up at the Republican primaries across this great nation of ours to make sure their voices are heard loud and clear. I wish to thank you, sir, for giving me the chance to discuss these matters in such an open forum. I wish to thank you for allowing this discourse to occur. I also wish, however, that you would stop touting your polls and statistics, come down out of your ivory tower, and take a look at the reality at what is happening on the street. There’s a revolution happening down here and everyone’s invited to join, including you.