PDA

View Full Version : Bush told ‘the best way to revitalize the economy is war.’

wildfirepower
05-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Former Argentine president says Bush told him ‘the best way to revitalize the economy is war.’

Oliver Stone’s new documentary South of the Border, which interviews several left-wing leaders of Latin American countries, has unearthed a startling new allegation from Argentina’s former president Néstor Kirchner. During his interview with Stone, Kirchner said he once discussed global economic problems with former President George W. Bush. The former Argentine president says that when he suggested a new Marshall Plan, referring to the WW II-era European reconstruction plan, Bush “got angry” and suggested that “the Marshall Plan is a crazy idea of the Democrats.” Instead, Kirchner says, Bush suggested that “the best way to revitalize the economy is war”:

KIRCHNER: I said that a solution for the problems right now, I told Bush, is a Marshall Plan. And he got angry. He said the Marshall Plan is a crazy idea of the Democrats. He said the best way to revitalize the economy is war. And that the United States has grown stronger with war.

STONE: War, he said that?

KIRCHNER: He said that. Those were his exact words.

STONE: Is he suggesting that South America go to war?

KIRCHNER: Well, he was talking about the United States: ‘The Democrats had been wrong. All of the economic growth of the United States has been encouraged by wars.’ He said it very clearly.

Watch it:

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/28/argentine-prime-bush-war/

MN Patriot
05-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Well then, here is the solution: we need a war against war.

sevin
05-29-2010, 07:21 AM
It drives me crazy that so many people believe war is good for the economy. I remember being taught that WWII got the U.S. out of the great depression. Apparently most other students in this country were taught the same thing.

The fact is, after WWII there were tax cuts across the board and the government drastically reduced spending.

But now, when the economy really goes over the cliff (what we've seen so far is just a warm up), Americans will be pre-programmed to believe war will make things better. It won't. It will make things worse.

jbuttell
05-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Strange, with such war spending over the past decade, you'd think we'd be in great shape financially with that logic.

catdd
05-29-2010, 08:42 AM
If war was good for the economy we wouldn't be doing so poorly right now. The only thing war does for the economy is that it gives a convenient excuse to continue printing and borrowing money - because we are broke.

Kludge
05-29-2010, 08:50 AM

Einstein suggested a war on war be conducted by increasing funding to public education.

Anyway, Bush isn't talking about "our" economy - he's talking about "his." The U.S. government receives rewards from its submissive puppets because it accounts for nearly (over, really) half the world's expenditure on its militaries. The United States government is not here for you - it's here for itself - the occupiers.

wildfirepower
05-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Strange, with such war spending over the past decade, you'd think we'd be in great shape financially with that logic.

If war was good for the economy we wouldn't be doing so poorly right now. The only thing war does for the economy is that it gives a convenient excuse to continue printing and borrowing money - because we are broke.
I think George Bush meant big wars like World War 3.

erowe1
05-29-2010, 09:05 AM
It's not an especially novel idea. Although it's nice to have it explicitly attributed to Bush by a reliable source.

erowe1
05-29-2010, 09:08 AM
KIRCHNER: I said that a solution for the problems right now, I told Bush, is a Marshall Plan. And he got angry. He said the Marshall Plan is a crazy idea of the Democrats. He said the best way to revitalize the economy is war. And that the United States has grown stronger with war.

This doesn't have a ring of truth to me. If anything is an idea of the Democrats, it's the belief that war is good for the economy. And I doubt that Bush doesn't know that, although Kirchner might not, which suggests to me that Kirchner's filling in certain details with his own biases. Furthermore, the Marshall Plan itself was a consequence of war. If you want to spend money rebuilding things you destroyed, first you have to spend money destroying them.

YumYum
05-29-2010, 09:12 AM
WWI, WWII, The Korean War, the The Vietnam conflict, and our invasion of Bosnia were all initiated by Democrat presidents.

Imaginos
05-29-2010, 09:19 AM
As Ron Paul said during the phone interview with Southern Avenger, the very idea (war = revitalizing the economy) is 'the most evil idea' in politics.
Yes, Ron used the term 'evil' and I couldn't agree more with him on that.
The only people who derived benefit from war are big shots in Military Industrial Complex, Oil and banking industry, and our sub-human piece of shit politicians.
For 99.99999% of population, there is NO benefit from war, period!

wildfirepower
05-31-2010, 07:13 AM
George Bush is the next Hitler. The world just needs another Hitler to start World War 3.

Vessol
05-31-2010, 07:15 AM
As Ron Paul said during the phone interview with Southern Avenger, the very idea (war = revitalizing the economy) is 'the most evil idea' in politics.
Yes, Ron used the term 'evil' and I couldn't agree more with him on that.
The only people who derived benefit from war are big shots in Military Industrial Complex, Oil and banking industry, and our sub-human piece of shit politicians.
For 99.99999% of population, there is NO benefit from war, period!

What's even more disturbing is how many people think that the Great Depression was ended because of World War 2.

Travlyr
05-31-2010, 07:30 AM
It drives me crazy that so many people believe war is good for the economy. I remember being taught that WWII got the U.S. out of the great depression. Apparently most other students in this country were taught the same thing.

The fact is, after WWII there were tax cuts across the board and the government drastically reduced spending.

But now, when the economy really goes over the cliff (what we've seen so far is just a warm up), Americans will be pre-programmed to believe war will make things better. It won't. It will make things worse.

War is good for the economy of the elite. War is highly profitable for central banks, and that is a fact. :mad:

fj45lvr
05-31-2010, 07:37 AM
I think Bush was 100% accurate but he really said ‘the best way to revitalize the economy is war....on FED". It makes perfect sense and truth...only missing two small words.

yokna7
05-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Keynesian Imperialism

Travlyr
05-31-2010, 07:50 AM

I think Bush was 100% accurate but he really said "war on FED". It makes perfect sense and truth...only missing two small words.

Yes! "War on war" & "War on FED"