PDA

View Full Version : Outreach: Why don't the Native Americans have their own currency?

Jdayh
05-29-2010, 12:36 AM
They are sovereign nations.
They could easily set up a separate monetary system, and either banish Federal Reserve Notes on their lands, or impose an exchange rate. Their currency would be stable, interest free, and could attract foreign investors.(for their own infrastructure.) I mean if you knew that a foreign government had a debt free currency...wouldn't you invest? Be it in exchanging FRNs for it or otherwise?

It could be used on all Native American lands, or just for the nation that started it. (although a multi-Indian nation currency would seem like a better idea, perhaps)

The currency could be either backed by some type of commodity, or just by the faith and credit of each nation. They are not bound by the Constitution....so there could be some creativity there....

Any thoughts as to why this has not or is not being done? Or how to implement it? (ASAP)

BuddyRey
05-29-2010, 04:53 AM
If I remember correctly, The Republic of Lakotah had something like that going for a while, with specially minted silver rounds. I'm not sure if Russell Means and the folks behind the RoL are still doing that, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. Poverty rages in those areas right now, but in the event of a collapse, they may prove to be the safest places in the U.S.

BuddyRey
05-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Bump!

Jdayh
05-29-2010, 05:51 AM
If I remember correctly, The Republic of Lakotah had something like that going for a while, with specially minted silver rounds. I'm not sure if Russell Means and the folks behind the RoL are still doing that, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. Poverty rages in those areas right now, but in the event of a collapse, they may prove to be the safest places in the U.S.

Unfortunately to my knowledge the Lakota Bank while being located on Indian Lands, is not affiliated with the Lakota Nation, but with a group of investors. Creating a Native American Nation currency would be completely different than what they are doing . (although it could be based on a similar idea)

Matt Collins
05-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Banning FRN's wouldn't be a wise move as any tourists or anyone else for that matter who seek to do business on Tribal property would have another hurdle to jump through.

Although creating their own more stable currency I believe might be economically savvy.

BuddyRey
05-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately to my knowledge the Lakota Bank while being located on Indian Lands, is not affiliated with the Lakota Nation, but with a group of investors. Creating a Native American Nation currency would be completely different than what they are doing . (although it could be based on a similar idea)

Really? That's somewhat disappointing. I was really rooting for the Lakota Nation, especially knowing how sad their situation has been on reservations like Pine Ridge, and how the BIA is basically ignoring their crumbling infrastructure while simultaneously disallowing them from starting their own businesses. They could really use some capital over there. I only wish I could think of a way the RPF's could help out. :(

BuddyRey
05-29-2010, 09:57 PM
//