PDA

View Full Version : 26 Republican Senators must hate the troops

RSLudlum
05-29-2010, 12:22 AM
...because they voted against the $60 billion supplemental appropriations bill. Or maybe it didn't spend enough for their fiscally conservative taste? What ever the reason, at least there was some opposition.

War Bill Approved as Afghan Conflict Tops Iraq in Cost, Troops

By Brian Faler

May 28 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Senate approved a $60 billion war-funding bill last night as the conflict in Afghanistan has exceeded the Iraq war in annual cost and number of troops.
Senators voted 67-28 for the measure, which goes to the House for consideration next month. Opposing the legislation were 26 Republicans and two Democrats.
The vote came after lawmakers rejected a proposal to require President Barack Obama to submit a non-binding report outlining when he plans to end U.S. involvement in the almost nine-year-old Afghan conflict.
“The American people deserve an answer to the question: How much longer?” said Wisconsin Democrat Russ Feingold, who sponsored the amendment that was defeated 80-18. The funding bill “will add some $30 billion more to the almost $300 billion we’ve already spent in Afghanistan with no end in sight,” he said.

read rest of article here:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-28/war-bill-approved-as-afghan-conflict-tops-iraq-in-cost-troops.html

Summary of the bill: http://appropriations.house.gov/images/Supplemental_Appropriations_Bill_Summary_-_War_Jobs_and_Other_needs_-_05.26.2010.pdf

specsaregood
05-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I think there might have been a repeal DADT amendment on that bill that they objected to.

RSLudlum
05-29-2010, 12:38 AM
I think there might have been a repeal DADT amendment on that bill that they objected to.

That was a House bill, this is a separate Senate bill. Or am I mistaken?

jkr
05-29-2010, 07:35 AM
buutbutbut, i thought demoncrats were against war?

amonasro
05-29-2010, 07:42 AM
buutbutbut, i thought demoncrats were against war?

Not when their guy is in office. It was just a handy club to bash Bush over the head with.

itshappening
05-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Unbelievable, Feingold is the only Democrat with any spine

where are the others? they all need voting out of office. SPINELESS .

specsaregood
05-29-2010, 09:21 AM
That was a House bill, this is a separate Senate bill. Or am I mistaken?

Yeah I know there was a house bill, but I read they were trying to get that in both via the house and senate independently; but it does appear unrelated.

This vote appears to be all politics and republicans pretending to be fiscally conservative.

The Senate voted 67-28 to fund the troops. Many of those opposing the funding were Republicans who said they were concerned that ways were not found to pay for the new spending with cuts to other programs.

The Senate shelved a Republican bid to make the cuts, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid scoffed that Republicans "never raised a fuss about paying for the war under President (George W.) Bush."