PDA

View Full Version : Digg Ron Paul Bury Brigade

Razmear
10-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Due to many recent Ron Paul stories being quickly buried on Digg, even ones that had several hundred diggs in the first hour, I did some googleing and found this:

http://buryronpaul.blogspot.com/2007/07/keep-burying-ron-paul-but-be-fair.html

They are tracking and 'friend' ing users who submit RP stories so they can find them and bury them, or just doing searches for Ron Paul and burying every article that matches Ron Paul. I had this happen with the article I submitted about the rally after the MI debate and I've seen batches of RP stories disappear all at once. I'm not sure if it is one douche with a script or if they are working together to kill them all off. Seeing how they disappear in batches I'm guessing that it's a script being run that uses multiple Digg logins.

All RP stories are being hit at this point, regardless of merit or content, so we might need to start calling him R0N Pau1 or some other non matching search string to get around this bury brigade, at least until someone in Digg Management fixes the problem (not holding breath)

eb

paulitics
10-12-2007, 03:58 PM
how about we not abuse DIGG.

Jordan
10-12-2007, 04:00 PM

There we go.

Add stuff that really is newsworthy. Thats what we want to get out there anyway.

DrNoZone
10-12-2007, 04:04 PM

How is it abusing Digg to post stories YOU find interesting. Isn't that the whole point? If not, someone please show me where in Digg's TOS's it says you can't post multiple stories from multiple sources on the same subject.

Razmear
10-12-2007, 04:07 PM
They are now killing every Ron Paul story. I agree that we over Dugg in the past, and are getting some backlash, but now even legit stories are being buried.
Also, they have a section for 2008 Elections, so that seems like the right place to put any Ron Paul story and let the people decide if it goes up or down, not just a small group of script monkeys that kill every RP story.

I intend to make it at least a little more difficult for the asswipes to bury my submissions by varying the spelling of Ron Paul in future submissions.

eb

SouthernGuy15
10-12-2007, 04:12 PM
These neo-con and democrat big government tyrants that try to bury Ron Paul stories are true scum of the Earth. Lets make sure we continue digging Ron Paul stories like crazy!

SouthernGuy15
10-12-2007, 04:13 PM
We do NOT over digg! We have every RIGHT to digg!

theseus51
10-12-2007, 04:15 PM
If a team of Giuliani supporters started digging all the nice Giuliani articles, I KNOW Ron Paul's supporters would be trying to bury them as fast as possible. It works both ways.

They see the supporters indiscriminately every article with "Ron Paul" in it, so they are indiscriminately trying to bury all of them. . . I guess think of it as blowback.

ronpaulfan
10-12-2007, 04:17 PM
How many burys does it take before something gets removed from digg? What is the formula?

We may need to focus fire on good articles and videos (like what we did for Ron Paul A New Hope).

Adamsa
10-12-2007, 04:23 PM

This is true, just concentrate on the one video really if you want to see him on there. We can't spam the internet (which is what we're doing with Digg) and then when they delete content say we're censoring or that it's all a mass media plot to ignore Ron.

Razmear
10-12-2007, 04:33 PM
How many burys does it take before something gets removed from digg? What is the formula?

We may need to focus fire on good articles and videos (like what we did for Ron Paul A New Hope).

I think once it hits "popular" it becomes immune from the Bury, but I'm not sure. I looked and could find no info on the bury formula, other than references that it is "complex".

Every story that I've submitted via RP4.US in the past week has been buried before it could hit popular. The one about the 2000+ rally in MI really pissed me off cuz I had the first entry for it and it got wiped along with 25+ other RP stories at the same time. And they all disappeared within 1 minute of each other, so it was not a random burying that was going on, it had to be a script or an organized bury brigade.

eb

ronpaulyourmom
10-12-2007, 04:37 PM
They have every right to bury also. It's called blowback.

jaumen
10-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I used to only digg Ron Paul stories I found interesting, and never a duplicate story. Now any time I see a Ron Paul story that isn't an attempted smear, I digg it, dupes and all, because I know the there are people who bury every ron paul story, no matter how legitimate. It's bull, and those people should be banned, but despite reporting every single one of them that spam every single RP post with the same message over and over, digg does nothing about it, so, this is the most I can do, and I will do it.

And they don't really have the "right" to bury. Burying a legitimate story is an abuse of the system. You don't bury something just because it doesn't interest you or you don't agree with it. You just don't read it.

I think once it hits "popular" it becomes immune from the Bury, but I'm not sure. I looked and could find no info on the bury formula, other than references that it is "complex".

Every story that I've submitted via RP4.US in the past week has been buried before it could hit popular. The one about the 2000+ rally in MI really pissed me off cuz I had the first entry for it and it got wiped along with 25+ other RP stories at the same time. And they all disappeared within 1 minute of each other, so it was not a random burying that was going on, it had to be a script or an organized bury brigade.

eb

No, I saw 2 Ron Paul stories that were "Popular" that disappeared later in the day, enough buries will get rid of any story, but the more diggs the more buries are required. There is a definite organized effort among these people to bury Ron Paul stories.

Razmear
10-12-2007, 04:41 PM
They have every right to bury also. It's called blowback.

So then I have every right to make a script that adds an instant 500 diggs to any Ron Paul article that I select?

jaumen
10-12-2007, 04:44 PM
So then I have every right to make a script that adds an instant 500 diggs to any Ron Paul article that I select?

Well, let's just say you wouldn't be abusing the system anymore then they are :P

jrich4rpaul
10-12-2007, 04:58 PM
They can't bury our donations. :p

Razmear
10-12-2007, 04:58 PM
http://duggtrends.com/buried.aspx

Will show you all the stories buried, you have to uncheck alot of filters before it shows all the RP ones that were canned.

eb

ghemminger
10-12-2007, 05:08 PM
How important is Digg really - in relation to something else we can do with Ron Paul Articles....Maybe just emailing articles is more powerful

jaumen
10-12-2007, 05:10 PM
btw guys, organized attempts to alter the results of digg services are a violation of the ToS. I do not believe to applies to single stories, such as posting something here and saying hey guys, check this story out, Digg it!, because this happens with almost every story of value. It would however apply if we actively got a bunch of people together to digg every Ron Paul story, and most certainly applies to their burying every Ron Paul story.

If you are a digg user, feel free to report the violation of the ToS to abuse@digg.com, as I have.

Also, the burying is why every Ron Paul story that becomes and remains has well over 1,000 diggs, when many stories get to the digg front page with under a couple hundred. The 2 stories I saw removed from the popular stories this morning both had over 1,000 diggs, and both were legitimate stories in my eyes (ie, not just "Ron Paul is great!" blogs).

Mordechai Vanunu
10-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow those people are fucking losers. I've submitted many newsworthy Ron Paul stories that were dugg fast but got buried. Still there's not much they can do when RP submission are getting 3k, 4k, or 11k diggs.

American
10-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Read the sig, digg the good articles. Do you really need this kind of counseling on good Ron Paul articles?

WOW, its getting worse out there.

alsis8xmy
10-12-2007, 08:58 PM
That explains why I have been getting all these "friends" on Digg all of the sudden.

I have "unfriended" all my new "friends" on Digg and I have set my profile setting so nobody can see my profile activity.

mesler
10-12-2007, 09:06 PM
If you don't have any friends on digg, it will make their job more difficult. :)

lasenorita
10-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, that's interesting. I was aware that there was a group of unsavory diggers who go out of their way to bury Ron Paul stories and purposefully leave nasty comments. But still...

Anyways, anyone else notice that there also seems to be a concerted effort to bury negative Fred Thompson stories?

ETA: Those friend/fan requests could very well be legitimate. Check out their profile pages first and see if they've been digging Ron Paul stories and what types of comments they've been writing.

It's fairly easy to track a person's digging activity with available tools, though. So if someone had their heart set on burying every story you submit or digg, it'll be difficult.

Noog
10-12-2007, 11:19 PM
The bottom line is: Don't post duplicate articles. That's the real problem. Although, it won't stop these guys. They'll get tired of it sooner or later.

Taco John
10-12-2007, 11:25 PM
We could sure use your help posting stories over here, and there is no bury brigade to worry about:

http://www.idiggronpaul.com/

Tidewise
10-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Don't you think we have converted 90% of Diggers that we can hope to convert?

http://www.combslaw.cc/images/ObiRonKenobi.jpg
HELP US OBI RON, YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE!

UCFGavin
10-12-2007, 11:59 PM
i think its kind of funny that RP supporters talk about blowback...and then when we get some of our own its like "omg, these guys are assholes"

robatsu
10-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Come the rEVOLution, these guys are getting it first. Who are they to appoint themselves as censors. Digg is supposed to be the open market of people/opinions, rather than an echo chamber of received wisdom.