PDA

View Full Version : Ariz. legislators appeal immigration law to United Nations as human rights violation!

bobbyw24
05-28-2010, 04:21 AM
On the one hand, Arizona state Sen. Amanda Aguirre, a Democrat, is leading a delegation of Mexican and Arizonan lawmakers in appealing her state’s strict new immigration law to the United Nations as a possible human rights violation, a radical step that has earned her ignominy among some conservatives concerned about American sovereignty.

On the other, Aguirre is an avid defender of the Bush administration’s border fence, which she says has cut down border crossings, protecting the community she represents from a drug war always on the verge of spilling over into America.

Aguirre attributes her stands on immigration – a departure from how partisans in Washington tend to line up on the issue – to her “very interesting background.”

“I have a Mexican background,” she says, “I also have a great great father with a last name Hamilton who was here fighting against Mexico in the Mexican American war. I have a Hamilton blood and I have Mexican blood, too.”

Her take on the border fence – tarred as unwelcoming or even racist by many Democrats – may underscore the severity of the immigration crisis for states like Arizona, given the rampant drug war murders south of the state’s borders.

The Arizona immigration law, which gives police new authorities to verify U.S. citizenship, is itself a reaction to the worsening border situation. And while Republican Sen. John McCain is running to his right on immigration to protect his flank against a primary challenger, others have contributed his shift as reflecting the changing conditions on the ground in his state.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/05/28/will-the-united-nations-intervene-over-arizonas-new-immigration-law/