PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the mosque near 9/11 Ground Zero?

Vessol
05-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Is it me, or are the neocons freaking out a bit too much over this? If they own the property they should be allowed to put anything they want there.

libertythor
05-28-2010, 12:56 AM
As long as no public funds are going through this, this is okay. However, Muslims no longer will have the "respect card" to play when it comes to drawing Mohammed.

akforme
05-28-2010, 03:11 AM
at least something is being built.

Personally, I don't care.

dean.engelhardt
05-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Great testimony of freedom of religion and property rights. One rare instatnce that the 9-11 terrorist are not successful.

A. Havnes
05-28-2010, 05:27 AM
I don't really care, I guess. People are freaking all over the place, like this guy - http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=534342 - and the people over at WND. http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=119328

From what I gather, those Muslims own the property, therefore they can do what they want there. You don't have to worship there! Also, how many people are going to treat Ground Zero like a sacred place, anyway? Build a museum or something for people to remember.

james1906
05-28-2010, 05:57 AM
As long as no public funds are going through this, this is okay. However, Muslims no longer will have the "respect card" to play when it comes to drawing Mohammed.

Agreed. No jihad panties in a bunch over this.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/images/2008/03/20/danish_cartooos.jpg

Elwar
05-28-2010, 06:35 AM
How close would the neo-cons be willing to have a mosque? 100 feet? 200 feet? 500 feet?

The Mosque is being built 600 feet away, around the corner, a block or two away.

Yet the talking heads are trying to imply that there is a mosque being built at ground zero as a replacement to the twin towers.

Elwar
05-28-2010, 06:44 AM
http://www.ktracy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Picture-2.png

A: Location of the proposed mosque.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Mosques are stupid IMO. But it's ok with me... They are paying for it themselves, unlike stadium schemes that get subsidized by tax payers.

Bucjason
05-28-2010, 07:05 AM
I think most people don't have a problem with it , it's the fact that it's said they plan thier grand opening ceromony on the anniversary of 9/11.

That is extremely bad taste and a slap in the face if it's true.

freshjiva
05-28-2010, 07:15 AM
My thoughts on this masjid is no different from any other private undertaking: as long as it receives zero tax dollars, like any private entity, the First Amendment shall prevail.

Bucjason
05-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I know it looks bad! But you have to be educated before assuming, sadly Eid al Adha will fall on around 9/11 this year, Muslims go by a somewhat lunar calendar, so the opening ceremony is probably meant to coincide with the holiest day for Muslims which just happens to fall on around 9/11 or 9/12 this year, next year it will be 2 weeks before, and so forth. So don't take everything at face value, dig deeper into things.

That may be the case, but they should also take into account the feelings of thier New York City neighbors , show a little common decency and consideration, and move the date.

Justified or not, you can imagine it's going to enrage alot of people to see Muslims cheering and celebrating in ground zero on the anniversary of 9/11.

BlackTerrel
05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't think it's just neocons. I see a lot of people upset with it that don't fall anywhere on the spectrum politically. I think it's just bigotry really. What do these Muslims have to do with 9/11? Really?

Should we not be able to have sushi places near Peal Harbor?

I think most people don't have a problem with it , it's the fact that it's said they plan thier grand opening ceromony on the anniversary of 9/11.

That is extremely bad taste and a slap in the face if it's true.

Edit: I didn't know that. That just sounds like a big "fuck you". I know Abe is saying it's a coincidence, and maybe it is. But it's a hell of a coincidence.

dannno
05-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Great testimony of freedom of religion and property rights. One rare instatnce that the 9-11 terrorist are not successful.

That's a good point, if they can build a Mosque there, then the terrorists (whoever they may be) lost.

NewFederalist
05-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Perhaps they would be magnanimous and build a synagogue right next door!

Fozz
05-28-2010, 04:18 PM
I have no problem with it.

Fozz
05-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I know it looks bad! But you have to be educated before assuming, sadly Eid al Adha will fall on around 9/11 this year, Muslims go by a somewhat lunar calendar, so the opening ceremony is probably meant to coincide with the holiest day for Muslims which just happens to fall on around 9/11 or 9/12 this year, next year it will be 2 weeks before, and so forth. So don't take everything at face value, dig deeper into things.

You mean Eid al Fitr?

RM918
05-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I think I read somewhere once that the best thing to do with Ground Zero is to rebuild the twin towers and then, to answer people thinking, 'They'll just get attacked again!' to build a mosque at the top. It'd be pretty funny, at least.

Fozz
05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
The opening ceremony would not be this year, and by the time the mosque is finished, Eid will not be on 9/11.

MelissaWV
05-28-2010, 04:23 PM
If it was such a concern, then all of the property within a certain distance should have been bought up immediately by people who care about this, and they could have made sure not to build any mosques.

I don't have a problem with this, and every day is the anniversary of something. When SHOULD the doors open, if that's around when construction is finished, and it's during a high holiday?

People have a lot of nerve with the connections they're trying to make. Even though Abe is right, let's assume zero innocent Muslims died on 9/11. How many have died BECAUSE of 9/11? How many have died overseas? Do you think it's more than three or four thousand? Hmm.

libertarian4321
05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
It's private property, they can put whatever the heck they want there.

BTW, the building they are putting it in is a dump- looks like it's been abandoned for years. New Yorkers ought to be glad someone is fixing that shithole up.

aspiringconstitutionalist
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
All religion is stupid, therefore in an ideal world I'd like to see no mosques, churches, synagogues, or temples.

But, it looks like these guys bought this property fair and square. It's theirs to do with what they want. If it's really soooo offensive to have a mosque near Ground Zero, then the folks who are offended should pool their money together and offer to buy the property away from the Muslims. If not, then they should shut up.

libertythor
05-28-2010, 08:10 PM
They have the right to build the mosque using their funds and on their property. And I reserve the right to publish a photo of Mohammed, Jesus, Buddha, Moses, Confuscious, Pope Benedict, etc all in a massive gay orgy with tons of spunk.

Old Ducker
05-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Eid al Adha will fall on around 9/11 this year, Muslims go by a somewhat lunar calendar...

Is this from where the "moon god" shit originates?