PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party vs Palin in Idaho House GOP primary, and Tea Party won

Inflation
05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/26/1649601/palin-backed-house-candidate-defeats.html

By Dan Popkey and Rocky Barker
Idaho Statesman

BOISE, Idaho State Rep. Raul Labrador defeated Vaughn Ward in western Idaho's 1st Congressional District and punched his ticket to face incumbent Democrat Walt Minnick in November.

"My friends, the key to our renewal is liberty," Labrador told a cheering crowd at GOP headquarters in Garden City shortly before 1 a.m. Wednesday. "The answer to Obamaism is liberty."

Ward, a Marine reservist and a first-time candidate, had a 6-to-1 money edge and the backing of the Idaho and national GOP hierarchy. Ward was a commanding presence on TV, while Labrador ran only a smattering of radio spots in the final two weeks. Both are from Eagle.

The House race grabbed national attention in the final days after Palin, the 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate, came to Boise Friday to rally for Ward, who was the Nevada state director of the McCain-Palin campaign.

Labrador told the Idaho Statesman that the secret to his win was his consistent conservative message: "I didn't just say it. I've always acted the same way."

Ward's missteps including plagiarizing other candidates' websites, misusing pictures of himself in uniform, and calling Puerto Rico a country raised questions about his fitness as a candidate.

The contest came with a backdrop of voter anger fueling the tea party movement, with strong support in Idaho. Tea Party Boise backed Labrador, but the movement's biggest celebrity, Sarah Palin, campaigned for Ward.

"Basically I don't like the direction the country's going," said Stephanie Clark, 43, a computer lab editor from Boise. "It's bigger government, bigger deficits, and we're straying from the Constitution."

Turnout appeared light for a primary with few races on the Democratic ballot and with only onemajor statewide contest the nonpartisan race for Supreme Court.

As Election Day broke, voters received computer-generated phone calls with a message from Palin calling Ward a hero.

Dave Benson, 44, of Middleton, said he knew little about Ward or Labrador, but the Palin visit was decisive: "Palin loves the guy, so he can't be all bad."

Palin's help, however, cut both ways. Janice Aagaard, 67, of Boise, said she finally decided against Ward for two reasons: He still owns a house in Virginia and rents in Eagle, and she dislikes Palin.

"I'm not a fan of Sarah's, so once she hooked up with Ward and the fact he doesn't have a permanent home here, I couldn't vote for him," said Aagaard, a retired administrative manager.

Ward's stumbles were an issue for Robert Cutler, pastor of Christ Lutheran Church in Meridian. He calls Palin "my hero," but said Ward's apparent borrowing of rhetoric from President Obama for a key speech troubles him.

"I plagiarize a lot," said Cutler, 57. "I figure God wants me to plagiarize the Scriptures. But it matters who you're plagiarizing from."

Read more of this story at IdahoStatesman.com

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/26/1649601/palin-backed-house-candidate-defeats.html#ixzz0pBtukMlH

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/26/idaho.primary/

(CNN) -- A Republican congressional candidate in Idaho who was recruited by national Republicans and endorsed by Sarah Palin was defeated Tuesday in a primary election.

Idaho State Rep. Raul Labrador topped Vaughn Ward in the battle for the GOP nomination for Idaho's 1st Congressional District.

Ward, an Iraq war veteran who served as a state campaign coordinator for GOP Sen. John McCain's 2008 bid for the White House, was picked as a candidate for the National Republican Congressional Committee's "Young Guns" program. He greatly out-raised Labrador in the race for campaign cash, and Palin, the former Alaska governor and 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee who was born in Idaho, joined Ward at a rally last week.

But Ward apparently damaged his bid in recent weeks, allegedly plagiarizing from a speech President Barack Obama made at the 2004 Democratic convention. He also mistakenly indicated that Puerto Rico was a country during a recent debate.

Labrador, a conservative favored by local Tea Party groups, will now face Democratic Rep. Walt Minnick in November's general election. Minnick, a freshman member of Congress who won the district by 2 percentage points in the 2008 election, was the only Democrat to receive an endorsement in April by the Tea Party Express, a national group that has organized three cross country bus tours.

Inflation
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
The nice thing about Palin vs Tea Party is that it excludes the liberals from the debate, and the election.

Compared to more George W. Obama, it's a win-win situation!

Go Idaho Tea Party!

dr. hfn
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
hopefully Hayworth beats McCain next!

Inflation
05-27-2010, 10:08 PM
hopefully Hayworth beats McCain next!

That will be so f'n sweet, as would Devore beating Fiorina.

specsaregood
05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Wait, Puerto Rico isn't a "country"?