PDA

View Full Version : It does make sense.

libertybrewcity
05-27-2010, 06:57 PM
http://shredsomething.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/tumblr_kuzlmgcsal1qz5stso1_500.jpg?w=468&h=428

awake
05-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Do you know the production process of a steel spoon? Do you know how much water it takes to rewash it over its serviceability?

Plastic bags, plastic spoons, plastic in general is useful. You are making a anti-free market argument.

libertybrewcity
05-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Do you know the production process of a steel spoon?

no what is it?

libertybrewcity
05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
the production process is one time though. Imagine how many plastic spoons are thrown out everyday. many end up at the bottom of the pacific ocean.

Kludge
05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
the production process is one time though. Imagine how many plastic spoons are thrown out everyday. many end up at the bottom of the pacific ocean.

Well -- not my problem - I burn my plastic utensils after use.

phill4paul
05-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Do you know the production process of a steel spoon? Do you know how much water it takes to rewash it?

Perhaps the point would be...why is the plastic one considered disposable? A steel one...omg...priceless in another age.

Guess it all comes down to perception. I've got a old school boy scout knife with spoon and fork that I carry in my lunch box. Had it since I was a scout. Some 30 years back.

Something like this one...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/10/12/us/discipline600.jpg

course I didn't know it could get me arrested...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/education/12discipline.html

Guess that's why they wanna go to plastics.

awake
05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Plastic is a combination of elements on the periodic table, derived from petroleum, which is another combination of elements. The Earth is made up of these known elements, they are not alien matter.

Why do you feel the need to criticize the market choices of a product? If you were the world production and consumption czar what would you do the plastic producers and users?

Carole
05-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Uh, isn't it dangerous to burn plastic? I thought it released some bad chemicals. :)

Matter of fact, I do not use plastic utensils and dishes for food. I transfer food to pottery or glassware for microwaving also.

There is a very strange taste that is evident when drinking from a styrofoam cup. That is when I decided to stop using plastic for food and drink. I later read that when plastic is heated it releases chemicals.

When firemen fight fires today, it is totally different because of plastics in the home, among other things.

pcosmar
05-27-2010, 07:26 PM
In my experience,
They float.
;)

awake
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I am sick of the 'Plastic is non bio-degradable' reasoning to attack plastic...

Human bone can last indefinitely as long as there are no predators around.

Imagine all those human bones just sitting under the dirt in graveyards never degrading.

libertybrewcity
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Plastic is a combination of elements on the periodic table, derived from petroleum, which is another combination of elements. The Earth is made up of these known elements, they are not alien matter.

Why do you feel the need to criticize the market choices of a product? If you were the world production and consumption czar what would you do the plastic producers and users?

First, most plastics are very, very dangerous to burn. and, they cause many environmental problems. For example, the garbage patch in the pacific ocean the size of Texas that makes the area completely devoid of life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic#Environmental_issues Second, I don't believe there should be a production and consumption czar. I think that environmental problems are local and individual issues. For example, by posting this image I am hoping that one person sees this and thinks for a second about the environment and the harm that people can cause.

Now, where libertarians often get their bad rap from dems and libs is on the issue of environmentalism. They think that republicans and libertarians hate the environment. Despite popular belief, that is not true. People can be free and live in the environment togther!

phill4paul
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Do you know how much water it takes to rewash it over its serviceability?.

A bit of spittle and a shirt tail?

libertybrewcity
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
In my experience,
They float.
;)

lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Garbage_Heap

CGeoffrion
05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Would the oil industry ever had gotten this big if not for past government subsidies and other market intervention?
No
Would we probably already have alternative fuel sources if not for this market intervention?
Probably.

libertybrewcity
05-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Would the oil industry ever had gotten this big if not for past government subsidies and other market intervention?
No
Would we probably already have alternative fuel sources if not for this market intervention?
Probably.

we would definitely have a lot more. but even if we didn't have a lot of alternative fuel sources, at the production of oil would be in the United States instead of Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

and cars would be made out of hemp. hemp would probably be rivaling corn as the largest crop in the United States.

Koz
05-27-2010, 07:52 PM
we would definitely have a lot more. but even if we didn't have a lot of alternative fuel sources, at the production of oil would be in the United States instead of Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

and cars would be made out of hemp. hemp would probably be rivaling corn as the largest crop in the United States.

I would rather grow weed instead of hemp, just sayin.

libertybrewcity
05-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I would rather grow weed instead of hemp, just sayin.

same, same, same. most would!

CGeoffrion
05-27-2010, 08:43 PM
While we must defend the free market, there is no reason to defend companies like BP. If they had to deal with true honest competition in the marketplace they would not be where they are today. Defending todays corporations is defending corporatism; private ownership government control. I say this disaster is a good enough reason to end offshore drilling and allow for honest competition in the energy market. I do understand it will be a very bitter medicine, but in the long run we as a species will be much better off.

Human manpower and innovation is a finite resource and its time to stop diverting it to the oil industry because politicians are afraid of job loss.

Opinions?

CGeoffrion
05-27-2010, 09:38 PM
No takers really? We bash past government intervention into the marketplace yet still defend "private corporations" when they are nothing of the sort. I understand the principle of defending private sector corporation and strongly agree, yet we don't live in such a world. I'm only 22 and as far as I'm concerned I have never lived in a country with a free market. Stop defending these crony capitalist/ corporatist companies and embrace true competition!

Even if you think these companies got to where they are now is due to true marketplace competition then you have to have issue with how the post catastrophe situation is being dealt with. There is an implied tax on every barrel of oil sold to build up an insurance fund to deal with such emergency. The companies/consumer pays that but in this situation BP is not held responsible for the damage they cause to the private sector fishermen/( any industry dependent on the gulf ecosystem for livelihood) lawsuits after that "tax" monies are depleted. That leaves thousands of people who worked for an honest living dealing with government lawyers to try and compensate for their losses. BP would already be out of business and also leaves the taxpayer with the bill when someone is actually successful in winning in a court of law against government lawyers....

I defend private ownership and deregulation but there is no need to defend these cronies. It's time to bite the bullet and allow real competition in the energy market.

(edit for spelling)

jmdrake
05-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Ummmm...am I the only person that washes and reuses plastic utensils? :o