PDA

View Full Version : Free money on the beach! Use your American innovation to get it! It's a free market!

free1
05-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Ron paul always talks about the free market, where are all the American entrepreneurs?

Why aren't there 1000's of people with big tanker trucks pulling up to the gulf shores and sucking up the oil?

How hard can it be to filter and heat that stuff up to get it to the point of diesel fuel?

Anyone know?

Open up the beaches and let people pump. Call it part of the clean up.

At almost $3 a gallon, it's like money just laying there waiting to be grabbed.

And where are all these people who take left over french fry oil and convert it so it can run in a diesel car?

You could make a fortune in a down economy!

The refineries have the equipment, they probably have old equipment that's sitting around that would do the job. Where are they in all this?

YumYum
05-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Ron paul always talks about the free market, where are all the American entrepreneurs?

Why aren't there 1000's of people with big tanker trucks pulling up to the gulf shores and sucking up the oil?

How hard can it be to filter and heat that stuff up to get it to the point of diesel fuel?

Anyone know?

And where are all these people who take left over french fry oil and convert it so it can run in a diesel car?

The refineries have the equipment, they probably have old equipment that's sitting around that would do the job. Where are they in all this?

You would first have to get BP's permission. They are in charge of the clean-up.

tremendoustie
05-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Anyone know?

Funny, I just had this idea earlier :). I imagine that recovering the fuel, and making it usable, would be far more costly than it's worth. But, I don't know for sure.

Brian4Liberty
05-26-2010, 07:17 PM
It wouldn't be sweet light crude...

Anti Federalist
05-26-2010, 07:18 PM

Anyone know?

Because most of the landfalling oil is in marsh and places only accessible by small boat.

What's left on the surface is mostly worthless sludge, the high value VOCs have long since evaporated off.

free1
05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Funny, I just had this idea earlier :). I imagine that recovering the fuel, and making it usable, would be far more costly than it's worth. But, I don't know for sure.
I don't know that much but basically you just heat the stuff in a large long tube and diesel can be tapped off at some point mid way from the top. I don't think you need to put it under much pressure so it's not all that dangerous.

People could probably do it in small quantities in their back yards.

And you didn't have to pay anything to get it out of the ground, just something to scoop it up.

I think any salt water would go to the top first thing when you started heating it. Anyone near there could go get a sample and run a small bench test.

There's probably a wiki page on how to do it.

free1
05-26-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm watching the leak on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/pbsnewshour?feature=ticker

The leak changed from earlier today, you could see the pipe laying sideways, now it looks like some of that "heavy mud" is there and the leak is forcing it's way through the mud.

TheFlashlight.org
05-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks BP, that's our oil now. With all the stupid regulations that they saddle small business with, BP didn't have to answer one simple Fing question before they drilled:
"What will you do if it starts to gush out of control?"

That's it! If you can't answer that, get out of the oil business.

free1
05-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Here's a good doc showing how they get diesel fuel from crude oil.

Looks like you could use the gas from the very top to heat the whole process, costing you nothing in fuel to run the process once it's started.

I wouldn't bother with the other stuff and just concentrate on the diesel.

Diagrams and everything for the back yard experimenter! :)

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6089

free1
05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's the other views of cameras down there, it might give you an idea of what we are looking at on the live feed.

YouTube - Video Before and After Attempts to Stop Oil Leak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_1Dja9-znM)

YouTube - New Underwater Video Examines Multiple Leak Points Causing BP Oil Spill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RngYv4SYMCY)

This one shows the top of the blow out preventer, or it looks like that's what it is
YouTube - New BP underwater video of oil, gas gushing as spill spreads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMajtDTyTnE)