PDA

View Full Version : "No comment yet" from Paul campaign manager

0zzy
05-26-2010, 12:42 AM
With word Tuesday night from the AP's hardworking Roger Alford that Senate candidate Rand Paul plans to shake up his campaign staff, I called campaign manager David Adams for an update.

"No comment, yet," Adams said, "but details coming soon."

From the AP's Alford:

Campaign manager David Adams, a Republican strategist and former blogger who has been with the campaign since it began, will remain, but perhaps in a different role, Paul said.

Paul, who said he was bolstering his staff, won the GOP nomination last week with campaign workers who were largely political novices and volunteers. He said all the staffing decisions haven't yet been made.

Jesse Benton, who was part of the presidential campaign of Rand Paul's father, Texas Congressman Ron Paul, has been increasingly visible in the Senate campaign. For instance, Benton met me at Paul's opthamology practice where I interviewed Paul on Friday. I had not noticed Benton at any of my previous Paul interviews. I am awaiting a response for an interview request with Benton, but insiders say that Paul has been pressured by prominent Republicans to make changes.

Interesting that Rand Paul, who has worked to create a separate identity from his libertarian icon father, might hire one of his Dad's campaign aides to take over.

David Adams has been omnipresent during the primary campaign, often appearing in Paul's stead when different campaign events or Lincoln Day dinners were happening simultaneously. There appears to be room for Adams to share some of his duties, as he has effectively been serving as both campaign manager and chief spokesperson for the campaign. Ryan Hogan has served as the official media contact, yet Adams has been the only voice other than Paul's to speak for the Paul campaign.

With Paul's campaign called "novices" after an MSNBC interview controversy took on a life of its own, Paul may heed the advice of the establishment Republicans who also encouraged him to stop granting interviews. One of those calls was from George W. Bush strategist Karl Rove, whose advice might also have included how to staff the campaign from this point forward.

this should be exciting! :)) I want to know the staff changes, even though I don't even know who is on the staff now! Hah!

RonPaulFanInGA
05-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Jesse Benton taking over a major role, like campaign manager, would be a hundred times more discouraging to me about Paul's chances of winning in November than the recent CRA thing.

angelatc
05-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Jesse Benton taking over a major role, like campaign manager, would be a hundred times more discouraging to me about Paul's chances of winning in November than the recent CRA thing.

Me too. Adams ran practically the perfect primary campaign. I think that as long as they've learned a lesson - keep Rand focused on Kentucky issues - there's no good reason to make a switch like that.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Me too. Adams ran practically the perfect primary campaign. I think that as long as they've learned a lesson - keep Rand focused on Kentucky issues - there's no good reason to make a switch like that.

The thing I do not get is that supposedly the national Republicans are forcing this change because they want a more competent campaign staff. If they can dictate that, couldn't they refuse Benton? There is no way they think highly, or probably anything, of Benton.

Hopefully Benton is just becoming a campaign spokesman. I can live with that, as long as he is not holding a major role within the campaign. As it stands, the campaign doesn't even have a spokesman; it's always the campaign manager (Adams) quoted in the press.

ssforronpaul
05-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Rumor is DailyKos has Adams out. If that is the case this is a stupid move. Adding Jesse Benton was a stupid move. Any hired hand associated with those stupid ads during Ron Paul's presidential campaign should never be allowed to have a political job again. That campaign was run horribly. Rand Paul's campaign was run nearly perfect.

ssforronpaul

itshappening
05-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Adams ran a perfect campaign and is a star, anyone associated with Ron's 08 bid is bad news in my book

I really dont understand the logic

RonPaulFanInGA
05-26-2010, 06:01 AM
Rumor is DailyKos has Adams out.

What? Why would Daily Kos know? Maybe they just misread the AP article and declared "Adams out", even though it says specifically that Adams is staying on with Rand Paul's campaign but that Adams may or may not remain as campaign manager.

ssforronpaul
05-26-2010, 06:05 AM
What? Why would Daily Kos know? Maybe they just misread the AP article and declared "Adams out", even though it says specifically that Adams is staying on with Rand Paul's campaign but that Adams may or may not remain as campaign manager.

Sorry I will clarify: Out as campaign manager. Here is what it says:

Rand Paul Fires Campaign Manager
by patriot spear
Tue May 25, 2010 at 07:03:06 PM PDT
Short diary, not like we didn't see this coming. Paul has found his scapegoat and will be moving his campaign manager to 'other duties' in the campaign.

Hopefully, just copying and bending what is said at AP.

ssforronpaul

Flash
05-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Wow thats messed up if true. Who could be better than David Adams? Jesse Benton? Rofl.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-26-2010, 06:12 AM
So Jesse Benton needs more work to support his new wife [Ron Paul's grand daughter], huh?

bobbyw24
05-26-2010, 06:14 AM
David Adams expects to outlive rumors of my imminent demise.

ssforronpaul
05-26-2010, 06:22 AM
^
l
l
Trying to point to above post. That is great news.

Previouse experience shows Adams knows Kentucky. Previous experience watching Benton shows he does not understand politics in Iowa, New Hampshire, etc and probably not in Kentucky. Those ads for Rand Paul were 1000000 times better than Ron Pauls' ads. The ads online made by volunteers were many times better than the presidential campaign ads. How Adams fought any and all allegations instead of just taking it showed he clearly understood to put the other campaign on their heels and not allow them to pigeon hole his candidate. I didn't think there was any way Rand Paul could lose, but if this Benton is moved in and becomes a source for Paul to bounce ideas off of I think the odds move to much closer to 50/50 or worse.

ssforronpaul

sirgonzo420
05-26-2010, 06:25 AM
I really hope Benton is NOT involved at all...

RonPaulFanInGA
05-26-2010, 06:31 AM
I really hope Benton is NOT involved at all...

Oh, it is too late (http://www.whas11.com/community/blogs/political-blog/No-comment-yet-from-Paul-campaign-manager-94894739.html) for that:

Jesse Benton, who was part of the presidential campaign of Rand Paul's father, Texas Congressman Ron Paul, has been increasingly visible in the Senate campaign. For instance, Benton met me at Paul's opthamology practice where I interviewed Paul on Friday. I had not noticed Benton at any of my previous Paul interviews. I am awaiting a response for an interview request with Benton, but insiders say that Paul has been pressured by prominent Republicans to make changes.

Again, as long as it is a minor role and not a major one like campaign manager, I really do not mind it. Incompetent Benton in a major role, however, smacks of nepotism.

BamaFanNKy
05-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Guys calm down. David's going no where. He's most likely going to get a bigger title. "Shaking up" means some of the volunteers are probably leaving since they have to get jobs and some are staying. I'd also say that some new people will be added (ala Jesse Benton) who've still got connections in DC and some more fundraising abilities.

All this is kind of my thoughts so, no reason to believe. You guys can say what you want with Jesse but, he's been standing next to Ron for close to 3 years now, right? If I stood next to a surgeon for 3 years I think I could do some things.

sluggo
05-26-2010, 06:37 AM

I agree. I won't go into a Benton bashing rant, but I have first hand experience with his incompetence.

A highly rated FM talk show host wanted Ron on air badly during the campaign, and Benton ignored several email and phone requests, from both the show's producers and a number of listeners, to make it happen. Huckabee, Romney, Giuliani all appeared, but no Ron.

Need someone a lot more media savvy for the position.

Distinguished Gentleman
05-26-2010, 06:52 AM
The worse case scenario speculated about Benton is that he married for a permanent position in the Paul campaigns, but even then we at least know he understands strategy. ;)

If you've been following David Adams lately, you know he's been swamped, so I suspect some of the "national" aspects of the campaign will be shared to a seasoned vet.

sailingaway
05-26-2010, 06:56 AM
I hope Rand is following advice from the right people, and his own common sense, is all. I do not consider Rove and McConnell the 'right people'.

I mean, come on!

McConnell's folks and the GOP leadership ran Grayson's campaign!

DeadheadForPaul
05-26-2010, 10:08 AM

+1

I'm sorry, but Ron's campaign was a train wreck. I don't want anyone associated with that mess to bomb Rand's campaign

If he's just raising money as someone else mentioned, then fine. But advising? No thanks

josh.schisler
05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I hope Rand is following advice from the right people, and his own common sense, is all. I do not consider Rove and McConnell the 'right people'.

I mean, come on!

McConnell's folks and the GOP leadership ran Grayson's campaign!

Grayson couldn't overcome the criticism of being a career politician. The extremist image is something that McConnel / Rove can handle; it's a much more conventional criticism.

sailingaway
05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Grayson couldn't overcome the criticism of being a career politician. The extremist image is something that McConnel / Rove can handle; it's a much more conventional criticism.

And destroy Rand's appeal to Dems and independents (which they simply don't get) at the same time. LOOK at the gap between their thinking and the rest of the country!

jmdrake
05-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Rove knows a lot about smear tactics since he uses them. Remember the attack on John McCain he ran claiming McCain had a "black love child"? Not the kind of person the Paul campaign needs right now. And McConnell? The guy who pushed Bunning, backed Grayson, and held "bailout" fundraiser against Rand and has everything to loose from a Rand win? What's next? Asking Dick Cheney for help?

All of this talk about a "shakeup" is premature and self defeating. You shake the campaign staff up when the either the campaign staff has screwed something up and/or when the campaign staff becomes the issue. You may also shake things up if your poll numbers such and/or are dropping. I've seen no evidence of any of that.

kylejack
05-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Rumor is DailyKos has Adams out. If that is the case this is a stupid move. Adding Jesse Benton was a stupid move. Any hired hand associated with those stupid ads during Ron Paul's presidential campaign should never be allowed to have a political job again. That campaign was run horribly. Rand Paul's campaign was run nearly perfect.
Benton did not make the ads or make the decision to run them. That is a campaign manager's job.

Aratus
05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
some of the volunteers can now be salaried? we've gotten this far without hacks?