PDA

View Full Version : girl jailed over t-shirt

GreedyHenry
05-26-2010, 12:12 AM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/2245750,5_1_WA07_TSHIRTGIRL_S1-100507.article

T-shirt girl to file suit
'Judge was on a power trip'

May 7, 2010
By BETH KRAMER ekramer@scn1.com

A civil suit will be filed next week by a Round Lake Park woman jailed for wearing a T-shirt with words a judge found objectional.

"We intend to file a lawsuit next week," said Peter Kalagis, attorney for Jennifer LaPenta.

He said the civil suit will be filed by next Wednesday in Lake County Ciruit Court.

"The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) wants to get involved. We're still investigating the issue," he added.

LaPenta, 20, accompanied a friend to appear before Judge Helen Rozenberg Monday wearing a T-shirt that read: "I own the (female body part), so I make the rules."

The judge singled her out from the gallery and charged her with contempt of court. Rozenberg sentenced her to 48 hours in jail, but LaPenta was released Tuesday.

After LaPenta's release from custody, Kalagis stated that he and his client wanted to sit down and discuss the matter with the judge. Both he and LaPenta contend that LaPenta's rights were violated.

"We were going to reach out to the court, but they have refused to speak to us. It might require legal action," Kalagis said.

Chief Judge Victoria Rossetti stated that it was inappropriate to comment on an ongoing matter, he said. She and Rozenberg said as much to the News-Sun as well.

LaPenta wore the T-shirt and sweat pants when she was released from jail. She said that she was at the gym when her friend asked her for a ride to the courthouse and did not have time to change.

Rozenberg ordered LaPenta handcuffed without giving her the opportunity to reverse her shirt or exit the courtroom, LaPenta reported.

She also contended that she never went to bond court or had the opportunity to call her mother after her arrest.

"This was wrong. This is going on her record and there was not one swear word on that shirt," said Rachel LaPenta, Jennifer's mother.

"The judge was on a power trip. Her rights were violated," said Jennifer's aunt, Rose Cirelli of Round Lake Park.

Kalagis said that legal action will "probably be brought forth."

The story has garnered national interest. NBC contacted the News-Sun for information to air the story Wednesday. The ABC show "The View" asked the News-Sun for LaPenta's photograph for its Thursday show.

MichelleHeart
05-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Sexist shirt, but I'm going to have to defend her right to wear it. (As much I am disgusted by what her shirt says.)

Bman
05-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Sexist shirt, but I'm going to have to defend her right to wear it. (As much I am disgusted by what her shirt says.)

I'll defend her right to take it off also.

http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/06/09/soc_zoom.jpg

Promontorium
05-26-2010, 02:52 AM
I was just reading about how this shit was already settled by the supreme court, with a case about a guy who wore a jacket that read "Fuck the draft" to court. Protected.

peacepotpaul
05-26-2010, 03:10 AM

contempt is not free speech

but wearing a t-shirt shouldn't warrant 48 hours in jail.

peacepotpaul
05-26-2010, 03:15 AM
"not one swear word"? why did the news media take out that word then?

tremendoustie
05-26-2010, 03:38 AM
contempt is not free speech

Yes it is ... it's just impossible to respect that aspect of free speech in the current legal context. In private arbitration, for example, it'd be possible for an agreement to specify that if any party severely disrupts the proceedings, they will be responsible for the entire fee.

I also find the "contempt" charge unusually honest when it comes to this government. It's not disrupting the proceedings which is illegal, but showing contempt for them. I can think of a few people, other than judges, who attempt to obtain "respect" by threats of violence, but they're all gang or mafia members.

specsaregood
05-26-2010, 06:41 AM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/REQhezqM0FTs.jpg
http://media1.suburbanchicagonews.com/multimedia/lapenta.jpg_20100506_21_59_01_199-282-400.imageContent

Dr.3D
05-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Umm... don't most people with a cat, make the rules about when to feed their cat? I'm lost here.

angelatc
05-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Umm... don't most people with a cat, make the rules about when to feed their cat? I'm lost here.

Obviously you do not own a cat. The cat is always in control. At best, the cat may allow the owner to believe that the owner is in control, but when it comes down to nuts and bolts, the cat is in control.

Dr.3D
05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Obviously you do not own a cat. The cat is always in control. At best, the cat may allow the owner to believe that the owner is in control, but when it comes down to nuts and bolts, the cat is in control.

I've had a few cats, and it is true, they like to be in control. The last one I had was one I rescued from the manufacturing plant I worked in just before it was torn down.

He was a 20 pound gray tiger and I can assure you, I was in control as to when it was time to feed him. I just let him think he was in control so he wouldn't run off. LOL

Matt Collins
05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
contempt is not free speechBut was it really contempt? :rolleyes: :(

osan
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM
http://media1.suburbanchicagonews.com/multimedia/lapenta.jpg_20100506_21_59_01_199-282-400.imageContent

Gaaack... she can KEEP the pussy.

What a skank.

8^o

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-26-2010, 10:35 AM
I also find the "contempt" charge unusually honest when it comes to this government. It's not disrupting the proceedings which is illegal, but showing contempt for them. I can think of a few people, other than judges, who attempt to obtain "respect" by threats of violence, but they're all gang or mafia members.

Indeedy. Judges are not some mystical group of the aristocracy that have to be shown 'respect'. They're government bureaucrats who've got trumped up egos. They're SUPPOSED to be neutral observers in most cases. However, our fucked up system has it that Judges decide guilt/innocence and demand 'respect'. The only difference between them and the local garlic-breathed Don is a matter of semantics.

TruckinMike
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
"I own the (female body part), so I make the rules."

I'll defend her right to express that point, but I think she should have been spanked more as a child and kept out of the bars and brothels at 13.

TMike

tmosley
05-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Kick her out of court, fine, but putting her in jail was asinine. The judge should be disbarred for such a shocking abuse of power.

BlackTerrel
05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
The judge is an idiot but so is this girl.

LaPenta wore the T-shirt and sweat pants when she was released from jail. She said that she was at the gym when her friend asked her for a ride to the courthouse and did not have time to change.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/REQhezqM0FTs.jpg

Also I have a hard time believing she was at the gym.