PDA

View Full Version : Kooky

corsair
05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
They can't call Rand a "Constitutionalist" in hit pieces, because the word sounds too positive.

They can't call Rand a "Libertarian" in hit pieces, because the word sounds too positive.

They can't call Rand "Freedom-Obsessed" or "Liberty-Obsessed" in hit pieces, because the word sounds too positive.

They can't call Rand an authoritarian, racist, demagogue, liar, cheater, swindler, fraud or criminal, because they know they can't back it up.

So what can they do?

They can taut meaningless "Wild Card" words like “Kooky” or "Loony"– which can mean anything negative to anyone, so long as it doesn’t name Rand's underlying principles.

Some ignorant listener hears the word "Kooky" and has this thought process:

1) What's the definition of Kooky?

2) Well, I don't know what it means.

3) This anchorman/blogger/host obviously doesn't like Rand Paul, so it must mean something negative.

4) What are some things that [B]I personally consider negative? : X, Y, Z.

5) Conclusion: Rand Paul is X, Y, Z.

When a commentator uses the word "Kooky" or "Nutty" or "Extreme" or "Loony" or "Bizarre", etc. - it means:

"I have no rational counterargument, so you should project what you think is negative onto his character and positions".

Don't let anyone get away with using these undefined words.

dude58677
05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
That sums it up!

TheFlashlight.org
05-25-2010, 04:30 PM
That's pretty good!

Carole
05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
So whatever happened to plain old quixotic? :D

These people who resort to namecalling make me want to regurgitate. On them!!

:D:rolleyes:

BuddyRey
05-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Brilliant observation. I've never thought about it that way before, but you're right. If there was some way the media could tar Rand with an actual, definable term, they would. But the imprecision of words like "kook" and "weirdo" will service them in the short term, at least as far as the weak-minded are concerned.

Elle
05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
I'll take kooky Rand Paul and his kooky father any day of the week over any of the knuckleheads on the Hill.

corsair
05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Kooky
Loony
Weirdo
Bizarre
Nut
Extreme
Bonkers
Crazy
Outlandish
Strange
Quirky
Abnormal
Oddball
Screwball
Eccentric
Wacky
Batty
Daffy
Goofy
Erratic
Offbeat
Zany

Radical
Quixotic
Insane

All of these words intend to coax the listener into projecting his own definition of "negative" or "wrong" onto a candidate.

If you can think of any more, please add them.

Tinnuhana
05-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Insane? Remember the humorous bumper sticker? "Vote Ron Paul: 'Because the voices in my head aren't nasty like the ones in John McCain's' "
And, yeah, quixotic is usually used as a negative.

corsair
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Furthermore, these words' intent are to subvert the conversation-

Reducing the discussion from a focus on abstract and fundamental principles - to a level of emotions.

These words' final purpose is to make you feel something.

Not think something.

MsDoodahs
05-25-2010, 06:39 PM
So whatever happened to plain old quixotic? :D

These people who resort to namecalling make me want to regurgitate. On them!!

:D:rolleyes:

be careful where you throw up!

"PHILADELPHIA (AP) What Philadelphia Phillies fan Matthews Clemmens did was enough to make himself sick - and us, too, for that matter - but at least now he admits it.

The 21-year-old Cherry Hill, N.J. man has pleaded guilty to intentionally vomiting on a man -- a police officer -- and his 11-year-old daughter, in the stands at the Phillies-Nationals game April 14."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20005950-504083.html