PDA

View Full Version : Simmons to stay on the ballot

MRoCkEd
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Dear Mark,

For the past sixteen months my family has been actively engaged in a campaign to bring a Connecticut Republican to the U.S. Senate this November. We have been joined in this endeavor by an Army of donors, volunteers and well wishers, a solid array of party leaders and an extraordinarily talented campaign staff.

We all felt strongly that I had the experience, qualifications and opportunity to be that Connecticut Republican Senate candidate. On this basis we set as an important goal to win the Republican Nomination at the Convention on May 21st. We fell just short of that goal last Friday.

For some time now I have expressed the hope that all the Connecticut Republican candidates for the U.S. Senate would agree to unite behind the convention winner to avoid a divisive and expensive primary. No one accepted the challenge. The Simmons for Senate campaign has every right to proceed with a primary challenge based on our convention record of winning 46% of the vote.

Speaking for myself and my family, however, we understand the mathematical reality of competing against an opponent with unlimited financial resources who has already invested over 16 and a half million dollars in this campaign - by far more than any senate candidate in the country - and who has an unlimited ability to continue spending at an extraordinary rate.

On this basis we have decided, reluctantly and prayerfully, to scale back the campaign. We will release staff to pursue other opportunities and curtail campaign activities. This is not an easy decision or a happy decision. But we believe it is the right decision.

In my life of public service - in the U.S. Army, the CIA, the U.S. Senate Staff and, yes, even in elective politics - I have always tried to put the public good ahead of private gain. It is this sense of service above self, nurtured in my early days as a young soldier in Vietnam, has been my motivating force for the past 40 years. That is what motivates me to make this decision now.

As a party endorsed candidate in ten races under the Connecticut Republican banner, and a winner of eight, I can never fully thank the many good people who have supported me over the years. They include members of my own party as well as Independents and Democrats, all of whom have come together across party lines with a sense of working for the common good of the people we serve.

I can never repay my family and friends, near and far, who have been with me under the most trying circumstances, and who have shared in the thrilling victories and the agonizing defeats.

While my name will remain on the primary ballot, in the coming months I will devote myself to helping other Republican candidates for public office who I believe will bring to Connecticut and the Nation the leadership we need at this most difficult time.

Thank you,

Rob Simmons
hmm

muzzled dogg
05-25-2010, 10:27 AM
yeah

sucks

Epic
05-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Does that mean he sucks some votes away from McMahon?

MRoCkEd
05-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Does that mean he sucks some votes away from McMahon?
That could have gone to Peter

K466
05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't know what to think, who will Peter more easily get votes from, Linda or Rob?

muzzled dogg
05-25-2010, 10:42 AM
who knows tho

at first he was going to presumably try

2 days later he's not gonna try

2 days from now he may ask to have his name removed from ballot and endorse peter

Jeremy
05-25-2010, 10:43 AM
who knows tho

at first he was going to presumably try

2 days later he's not gonna try

2 days from now he may ask to have his name removed from ballot and endorse peter

Doubt it. He was running for Senate because he wanted to be a Senator. I don't see any reason for him to endorse Schiff.

JamesButabi
05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
"I will devote myself to helping other Republican candidates for public office who I believe will bring to Connecticut and the Nation the leadership we need at this most difficult time."

Call me crazy, but im thinking our number one priority should be a strong grassroots encouragement to endorse Peter.

brandon
05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Peter has no chance of winning.

Lucille
05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
That sucks.

dannno
05-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Peter has no chance of winning.

CT is the tiniest fuckin state in the world besides Rhode Island, why the hell would you say something like that?? Not to mention it's a Democrat state, it doesn't take that much convincing to get votes for Peter in Republican primary..

CT is not going to be hard to take from McMahon if we started actually taking this seriously.. it's a whhhitttlle itttyy bittttyy tiny place, not that hard to get enough votes for Peter!!

You haven't taken anything seriously in months. Your new attitude sucks. We have until August to pull this shit off.. it's just ONE state, and we NEED Schiff in the senate!!

K466
05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Peter's chances of winning our equivalent to our dedication and support we give him. The liberty movement needs to step up now or tell Schiff to stop wasting his time.