PDA

View Full Version : It may not be obvious to some, but organizations in America already discriminate...

Lightfiend
05-25-2010, 10:14 AM
"...the Boy Scouts discriminates against girls, universities discriminate against those with poor grades, and Hooters discriminates in favor of employing big-breasted women...

Remember, to discriminate only means 'to choose among options,' we do it everyday, in every decision we make, and especially among the people we choose to be around it need not be a dirty word to use. It is a fact of human existence."

Source: Rand Paul Media Fiasco And The Mischaracterization Of Civil Rights (http://www.libertarianminds.com/rand-paul-media-fiasco-and-the-mischaracterization-of-civil-rights)

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-25-2010, 10:23 AM
We are running a top notch propaganda campaign on the whole hypocrisy of discrimination.

Same strategy government uses. Make a problem bigger than it is, let it collapse under it's own weight, and then take it over.

Danke
05-25-2010, 01:25 PM
and Hooters discriminates in favor of employing big-breasted women...

I don't discriminate.

Vessol
05-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Boy Scouts also discriminate against non-theists and homosexuals, only matters to me because they are a government institution.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-25-2010, 01:47 PM
I was discriminated against because I wasn't black or hispanic a lot of times.

Elwar
05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm discriminated against all the time because I'm an individual.

brandon
05-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm always being discriminated against. The public university I went to had "Society of black engineers" club prominently placed on the main floor of our building.

TinCanToNA
05-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Boy Scouts also discriminate against non-theists and homosexuals, only matters to me because they are a government institution.It's never helpful to be inaccurate or outright wrong in your rhetorical flourishes. The Boy Scouts of America is not a government institution under any definition.

Vessol
05-25-2010, 02:19 PM
It's never helpful to be inaccurate or outright wrong in your rhetorical flourishes. The Boy Scouts of America is not a government institution under any definition.

Actually they are. Considering they receive Federal money from the Department of Defense and the government.

http://www.thehumanist.org/humanist/articles/bsa.html

torchbearer
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
see if they allow white congressmen into the congressional black caucus. see if they allow a white woman to compete in miss black america.

see what happens if there was a congressional white caucus that excluding black members.
see what happens if there was a miss white america that excluding black women.

then you start to see the double standard.

MelissaWV
05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I've been discriminated against many times. You have choices when it happens, and generally you can handle most incidents yourself by simply removing yourself from the situation, writing a letter or making a phonecall if you're really disturbed by it and want whoever's in charge to know what happened, or going to the media. You can even seek compensation if things really were out of hand.

Oh and the Hooters near where I grew up might as well have been called "A Cups."

BlackTerrel
05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
"...the Boy Scouts discriminates against girls, universities discriminate against those with poor grades, and Hooters discriminates in favor of employing big-breasted women...

Remember, to discriminate only means 'to choose among options,' we do it everyday, in every decision we make, and especially among the people we choose to be around it need not be a dirty word to use. It is a fact of human existence."

That's all well and good but it ignores the history of discrimination in this country.

I think it's best to just move on. This isn't really a huge issue in 2010.

noxagol
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Everyone discriminates every second of their lives, its called making choices.

dean.engelhardt
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Everyone discriminates every second of their lives, its called making choices.

He gets it.

Do we want a government that has a job to stop us from making bad choices?