PDA

View Full Version : Obama Misrepresents Arizona Immigration Law

FrankRep
05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Answering a student's question at a recent town-hall meeting, Obama painted a picture of Arizona and its immigration law that made it sound as if the state is engaging in racist tactics and commanding, SS-style, Your papers, please. By Ralph R. Reiland

Obama Misrepresents Arizona Immigration Law (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/ralph-reiland/3619-obama-misrepresents-ariz-immigration-law)

Ralph R. Reiland | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Answering a student’s question at a recent town-hall meeting at Indian Hills Community College in Iowa, here’s how President Obama characterized the Arizona law that’s designed to crack down on illegal immigration: “You can imagine, if you are an Hispanic American in Arizona, your great grandparents may have been there before Arizona was even a state, but now suddenly if you don’t have your papers and you took your kid out to get ice cream, you’re going to be harassed — that’s something that could potentially happen.”

That’s a picture of America that Obama likes to paint. You’re a nice family-of-color just going for a happy-go-lucky ride with the little tyke to get some ice cream and all of a sudden you’re at a Gestapo check point and some racist cop with mirrored sunglasses is commanding, SS-style, “Your papers, please.”

Similarly when it came to the Cambridge incident with Harvard’s Henry Louis Gates, Obama’s instant analysis was that it was an encounter between a nice professor-of-color who just forgot his key and attempted, along with his driver, to force open his front door with some banging and pushing and some not-up-to-Harvard’s-standards white cops who “acted stupidly.”

Along with other pertinent details, left out of Obama’s picture of events was the fact that the cops were called to the address by a neighborhood woman who said, accurately, that she saw “two black males with backpacks” trying to break in the front door of the home.

With the issue of border security and the new Arizona law regarding illegals, Obama again appears to want to play the race card for political gain rather than present the problem in an honest, constructive, and accurate manner.

Simply stated, the Arizona problem isn’t about bad cops, racism, and ice cream. Instead, we’re now at a crisis stage in terms of national security because the inept federal bureaucracy and ineffectual D.C. politicians have totally botched the crucial job of securing our borders.

A special series on U.S. border security by investigative correspondent Justin Farmer at WSB-TV in Atlanta recently reported that most of the illegals caught crossing into the U.S. are from Mexico or South America “but thousands are classified as OTMs, ‘other than Mexican,’ including hundreds from nations that sponsor terror.”

WSB-TV reported that a congressional report that it surreptitiously obtained shows that illegals from “Afghanistan, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sudan, and Yemen” are in custody at the federal detention center near Phoenix.

The problem is that for every 10 who were caught there might well have been 10 or 20 times that many who succeeded in making it through undetected.

“This congressional report on border threats confirms members of Hezbollah have crossed the southwest border,” reported Farmer. “It also contains photos of military jackets found on the border. The Arab insignia reads ‘Martyr: Way to Eternal Life.’ The other depicts a plane crashing into the Twin Towers.” That’s usually not the preferred attire of Mexican lettuce pickers.

The WSB-TV report also shows the route taken by Middle Easterners to the U.S. border. “They travel from Europe to South America to the tri-border region where they learn to speak Spanish,” reported Framer, “then travel to Mexico to blend in with the other illegals heading to this country.”

Blending in doesn’t seem too difficult, given the size of the crowds attempting to jump the fences. “Records show that agents caught a quarter million people last year trying to enter the U.S. in the Tucson sector alone,” reported WSB-TV.

Said Georgia Congressman Paul C. Broun, M.D., member of the House Committee on Homeland Security, regarding this illegal influx of Middle Easterners: “Frankly, I don’t think most of these people are coming to cut our grass.”

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/ralph-reiland/3619-obama-misrepresents-ariz-immigration-law

Elle
05-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Obama isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. This should come as no surprise. I still think O is pissed that AZ won't put him on the ballot in 2012 until he comes up with a long form BC.

MelissaWV
05-25-2010, 10:49 AM
The first paragraph, and the way Obama characterized the law, is a partial truth. That could happen based on the way the law is currently worded. I'm perfectly willing to wait and see whether it ever WOULD happen, because it seems like all hell would break loose at that point. It's not a very good move on the part of the officer involved, and it'd set off a chain reaction that would be quite unappetizing.

The rest of the article spends a lot of time trying to equate the hypothetical based on the letter of the law with Obama commenting on an actual case with facts he obviously didn't bother to familiarize himself with. That part of the article is pure tripe.

Arizona is reacting to the Government doing little/nothing on the enforcement front. The law is poorly-worded, but it's born out of all the frustration people there feel. I can sympathize with that, and so should the President of the United States (and his cabinet). When you have the Mexican President spewing hatred from the Rose Garden, with Obama nodding in the background, and you have other states "boycotting" and then crying foul when Arizona threatens to cut the power (and business with California in general, I'd assume)... things are backwards as hell. The whole situation has the stink of a playground brawl.

dannno
05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Ya Obama is precisely correct based on the originally wording and the second draft.. I'm not sure about the 3rd draft.

Stary Hickory
05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Obama lied and knows about it. AZ has gne through great lengths to allay any fears. Obama is simply lying intentionally to fear monger.

YumYum
05-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm glad the Mexicans are taking back the Southwest. It was theirs to begin with.

FrankRep
05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm glad the Mexicans are taking back the Southwest. It was theirs to begin with.
Who did they steal it from? Circle of life.

Stary Hickory
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM

K got you on record here thanks for sharing your view. Least some people come right out and say it, instead of pretending to be for borders and American sovereignty.

YumYum
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
K got you on record here thanks for sharing your view. Least some people come right out and say it, instead of pretending to be for borders and American sovereignty.

I'm becoming more and more a Libertarian.

FrankRep
05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm becoming more and more a Libertarian.

I'd rather be a Constitutionalist. ;)

MelissaWV
05-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Ya Obama is precisely correct based on the originally wording and the second draft.. I'm not sure about the 3rd draft.

It's still there. People still refuse to see it. They did shuffle a few things around and make it look nicer, though!

osan
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Obama lied and knows about it. AZ has gne through great lengths to allay any fears. Obama is simply lying intentionally to fear monger.

The law still has questionable language and that is always worrisome. We will have to wait and see how it is applied. Not my favorite path, but I am not sure that else to do at this stage.

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
If we are going to re-hash the unconstitutional, nazi police state AZ statues the rest of the afternoon can we reduce the sliding and keep it in one thread?

dannno
05-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Who did they steal it from? Circle of life.

The rabbits :confused:

Most Mexicans are actually Native Americans.

nobody's_hero
05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Obama isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. This should come as no surprise. I still think O is pissed that AZ won't put him on the ballot in 2012 until he comes up with a long form BC.

I just found two reasons to love Arizona. If they'll get rid of McCain and I'll pack my bags tomorrow.