PDA

View Full Version : My City Hall reply to my latest email

BLS
10-12-2007, 11:23 AM
With the help of a friend, I was able to send them a very well written legal-esque document, which cited 2 instances in MN where similar laws were found unconstitutional. I sent that to them yesterday...here's their 1ST reply

Hi Chris,

I’ve forwarded your letter to City Attorney Dan Fluegel. We will uphold the City’s sign ordinance and ask that the sign be removed.

John Hinzman, AICP
Planning Director

City of Hastings
101 East 4th Street
Hastings, Minnesota 55033
(651) 480-2378 - voice
(651) 437-7082 - fax

THEN about 15 minutes ago....they sent me this.

Chris

I have spoken to our City Attorney Dan Fluegel. We will further examine the questions raised in your letter. The City will not pursue any enforcement action at this time, pending further review. I will notify you if this changes and enforcement is pursued.

Thanks

John Hinzman, AICP
Planning Director

City of Hastings
101 East 4th Street
(651) 480-2378 - voice
(651) 437-7082 - fax

Looks to me like they are back pedaling!!

ghemminger
10-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Lol

ScotTX
10-12-2007, 11:26 AM
You win, dude. You won't hear another peep out of them since now they see you're not some ignorant fool that they can push around. Good for you!

jonahtrainer
10-12-2007, 11:27 AM
With the help of a friend, I was able to send them a very well written legal-esque document, which cited 2 instances in MN where similar laws were found unconstitutional.

Precisely what was needed. Good job Flexing your Rights! :D

cujothekitten
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Way to go! Congrats :D

RP08
10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Awesome!!! Really!

sylvania
10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm really impressed you stood up to them and demanded your right to freedom of speech. It's really nerve-racking to do that. I wonder if I'd have the guts to push back.

Way to go!!!!

hopeforamerica
10-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Oh my!! That is classic! Great work and keep up the good fight!!

transistor
10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
awesome!

TVMH
10-12-2007, 11:45 AM
and BOOM! goes the dynamite :D

Grandson of Liberty
10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
<putting on tin-foil hat>

Enjoy your IRS audit next year :p

<removing tin-foil hat>

DrNoZone
10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Kudos to you for fighting it! They wanted you to roll over so bad, just like the vast majority of American's would.

BLS
10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
<putting on tin-foil hat>

Enjoy your IRS audit next year :p

<removing tin-foil hat>

Don't say that...... :mad:

BLS
10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm not done yet.

I'm going to fight it until they change the code.
Every person in my town deserves the right to free speech.

ADGettis
10-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Makes me proud to have been a Minnesotan most of my life! (And actually, not far from Hastings)

jkaufmann
10-12-2007, 12:08 PM
With the help of a friend, I was able to send them a very well written legal-esque document, which cited 2 instances in MN where similar laws were found unconstitutional. I sent that to them yesterday...here's their 1ST reply

Hi Chris,

I’ve forwarded your letter to City Attorney Dan Fluegel. We will uphold the City’s sign ordinance and ask that the sign be removed.

John Hinzman, AICP
Planning Director

City of Hastings
101 East 4th Street
(651) 480-2378 - voice
(651) 437-7082 - fax

Chris

I have spoken to our City Attorney Dan Fluegel. We will further examine the questions raised in your letter. The City will not pursue any enforcement action at this time, pending further review. I will notify you if this changes and enforcement is pursued.

Thanks

John Hinzman, AICP
Planning Director

City of Hastings
101 East 4th Street
(651) 480-2378 - voice
(651) 437-7082 - fax

This is great news! -- but it is still under review. Not to be pessimistic but lets not pop the cork off the bottle yet.

If this does turn into a win, there are several other people I have seen Youtubes on who have run into the same issues, on their personal property. I'll see about tracking down some contact info for them.

I must say with humorus intent, I am somewhat wishing Ron Paul never walked into my life. Apathetic ignorance is much more STRESS-FREE.

jkaufmann
10-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm not done yet.

Even if they want to post Rudy signs?

G-khan
10-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm not done yet.

Great job you make me proud and inspire me...

Ninja Homer
10-12-2007, 12:14 PM
This is great news! -- but it is still under review. Not to be pessimistic but lets not pop the cork off the bottle yet.

If this does turn into a win, there are several other people I have seen Youtubes on who have run into the same issues, on their personal property. I'll see about tracking down some contact info for them.

I must say with humorus intent, I am somewhat wishing Ron Paul never walked into my life. Apathetic ignorance is much more STRESS-FREE.

But for them to change to "The City will not pursue any enforcement action at this time" probably means they're giving up.

Way to go BLS! You're helping pave the way for setting precedence to any of this ordinance BS in the future.

ConstitutionGal
10-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Good job there!! It's high time that ALL Americans started demanding that they be left alone as long as they aren't doing something that can hurt someone else. The more the government (especially the local ones) are challenged on these asinine draconian 'ordinances', the less likely they'll be to try to enforce them or even pass them to begin with.

GOOD JOB!

jonahtrainer
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Even if they want to post Rudy signs?

Even Hitlery signs!

Mortikhi
10-12-2007, 12:26 PM

HEHEHE. I like that. It's my new signature.

And I agree 110%:D

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm very proud of you, BLS. What you did took guts.

speciallyblend
10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
HAHA CLASSIC,thats great news.

cjhowe
10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Push it! Get some media attention. Little guy takes on City Hall....and wins! (for now)

At this point, blowback from them is only a two week difference (100 days from February 5th caucus).

mavtek
10-12-2007, 12:39 PM
THE MACHINE IS STARTING TO GET SCARED!!!

EvilTwinkie
10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Might be worth it to at least contact your local news station with this story, there might be other folks who were harassed and dont have your cahones.

sunny
10-12-2007, 01:12 PM

Hi Chris,
John Hinzman, AICP
Planning Director

City of Hastings
101 East 4th Street
(651) 480-2378 - voice
(651) 437-7082 - fax

Chris
Thanks
John Hinzman, AICP
Planning Director

City of Hastings
101 East 4th Street
(651) 480-2378 - voice
(651) 437-7082 - fax

good job chris - you are fighting the good fight!
it sounds to me like that is their way of saying that you won but want to make it
look like they still have some kind of control - know what i mean?

hey - have you seen this video of the lady in florida who is going thru a battle of having ron paul signs on her truck - check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqmDpcaXQw

maybe you can help her win this - $1000 a day fine - talk about insanity!

NewEnd
10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
yay!

bbachtung
10-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Glad to hear that it worked out, and that I didn't get you put in jail.

TVMH
10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
HEHEHE. I like that. It's my new signature.

And I agree 110%:D

Actually....

You will find that you get to the point that the lack of apathy is less stressful.

(But only when you realize that there are only a few things over which you have control...one of these being your voice).

[Insert gratuitous compliment]

This grassroots effort has somewhat restored my faith in humanity. I am very proud to call you all my countrymen. :D

quickmike
10-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Don't say that...... :mad:

Hey, if you get audited by the IRS. Do what I did both times, assuming youre self employed that is. Keep every reciept for every single expense you have, and put it in a cardboard box. When they audited me, they asked "now what about these gas reciepts?" etc etc etc. I said "Its all there in the box, go ahead and add them up" Im talking a pretty big cardboard box just FILLED with hundreds of reciepts in no particular order. They responded "Dont you have some kind of breakdown of the representation of these reciepts?" I answered "I used to but not anymore, but be my guest, go through every one of them and add them up if you want."

Well, by the time they got finished, they ended up owning me about 250.00 on top of what I had already claimed. Second audit they didnt even check them, and everything came out about even.

If you ever do get audited, make it as hard for them as possible to do their job as you possibly can. Im sure you wont get audited, but just incase.

BLS
10-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Glad to hear that it worked out, and that I didn't get you put in jail.

Geez man...that ain't funny.

:D

You were kidding about the jail part.......right? :cool:

PS - YOU ROCK!! Thank you SO much for helping me out.
I will learn from this experience and continue to take the fight to them.

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments.
4 months ago, I would've just taken it down.

Now I got to tell them to 'shove it up their A**' and I did it playing by their rules.
I feel like jumping out of a airplane right now.

bbachtung
10-12-2007, 04:15 PM

You were kidding about the jail part.......right? :cool:

Mostly.

Some of my clients end up in the state (mental) hospital.

speciallyblend
10-12-2007, 04:32 PM
good job chris - you are fighting the good fight!
it sounds to me like that is their way of saying that you won but want to make it
look like they still have some kind of control - know what i mean?

hey - have you seen this video of the lady in florida who is going thru a battle of having ron paul signs on her truck - check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqmDpcaXQw

maybe you can help her win this - $1000 a day fine - talk about insanity!

does anyone know her or the video creator,we need to somehow get here info to help her,though she looks like the kinda of women who can take care of herself:)

madcat033
10-12-2007, 05:27 PM
That is fucking awesome. Way to go man.

jasonhlasvegas2008
10-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm happy to see that everything is now going well for you. I'm amazed they put up a fight to begin with. I bet they've been able to bully people in the past.

jonahtrainer
10-12-2007, 06:02 PM
You were kidding about the jailrt.......right? :cool:

PS - YOU ROCK!! Thank you SO much for helping me out.
I will learn from this experience and continue to take the fight to them.

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments.
4 months ago, I would've just taken it down.

Now I got to tell them to 'shove it up their A**' and I did it playing by their rules.
I feel like jumping out of a airplane right now.

Good job! We all need to Flex Our Rights more. That is what keeps Government in check. Watch Busted and be a responsible citizen.

ronpaulhawaii
10-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Great News!!! UtahA is here with me and we are both stoked. Thanks for putting up a fight. You did us all a good deed.

I don't know that you want to push the issue at the moment. Maybe better to consider running for council and make a difference in alot of ways. A little media about this issue could come in handy in that regard

For now we have a different battle to win.

GO RON PAUL!