PDA

View Full Version : My Congressman Says that: The VAT is the worst kind of tax imaginable

bobbyw24
05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
As your representative in Washington, it is important to keep my constituents informed of key matters affecting our nation. Particularly, I thought you would be interested in an update regarding a new tax proposal that will affect ALL Americans.

Recently, North Florida residents sent off their hard-earned money to the federal government, and today word is spreading about a new, job killing tax that will do nothing but further cripple our economy and further expand the role of the federal government.

Several members of the Obama Administration have talked about creating an additional kind of tax on the American people. The Value Added Tax, or VAT, is a consumption tax which is assessed not just at the retail level, but at every stage of production. Many European countries impose a VAT, which President Obama recently said in a CNBC interview, "this is something that has worked for some countries. It's something that would be novel for the United States." Paul Volcker, White House economic adviser, said at the New Your Historical Society that the United States should consider imposing a "value-added tax" similar to those charged in Europe to help get the deficit under control.

The VAT is the worst kind of tax imaginable - it's hidden, its complex, and it's always getting bigger. The VAT is a regressive tax that would take thousands from every American family whether or not they could afford this tax increase. The VAT is easy to increase as bloated government needs more money to fund its new programs. I do not support the VAT and will fight its enactment at every step of the process.

As a strong believer in fiscal responsibility and true tax reform, I have repeatedly backed "Fair Tax" legislation. H.R. 25, the FAIR Tax bill, would enact a national sales tax to be administered primarily by the States. This legislation would create a 23 percent federal sales tax on all new products sold within the United States. If enacted into law, the measure would repeal federal income, corporate income, self-employment, payroll, capital gains, Social Security, Medicare and gift and estate taxes. I am a proud co-sponsor of the FAIR Tax.

It's time for Washington to listen to the American people who understand the value of balancing their own budgets. You can be assured that as you work hard to pay your bills, stay on top of your mortgage and ahead of your own budgets, I will support plans to reduce taxes and reject those that will not.

Thank you for permitting me to take this opportunity to update you. Please feel free to contact my office for further assistance on this matter or if you would like additional information on this topic or other issues facing Congress, please visit my Website at http://crenshaw.house.gov.

Sincerely,
Ander Crenshaw
Member of Congress