PDA

View Full Version : Why I, as a college student support Ron Paul

MrKoffee
10-12-2007, 10:17 AM
As time has gone by it's become more and more apparent that Ron Paul has a lot of supporters, especially from America's youth. I would like to provide some insight as to why why I support Ron Paul and why I think many other youths support Ron Paul.

America's youth is anything but dumb, many of us have gotten top quality educations and are going to some of the greatest universities and colleges in the world. We are growing up in a world where you're spending 20+ years of your life becoming educated before being able to fully function in society and the working world. Although I found my public education to not be of the greatest quality, I was brought up in a time where the internet went from being in almost nobody's home to being in everyone's home in a few short years. I still remember in grade school first getting an AOL account and then ultimately getting broadband, a connection that was always on and almost instantaneous download speeds. My love affair with the internet began shortly after. To me, it's no surprise that Ron Paul's campaign has spread so far on the internet, after all, this is a place where anybody can post a video, post, blog or whatever other method they use to express their views and opinions openly. For the first time, perhaps in the history of the world, anybody can reach out to the whole world, is it any surprise to you that Ron Paul has meet up groups not just in our great nation but all over the world? Freedom truly is popular, as he says.

Focusing back to the youth, many of us don't have a positive view of the future. We are starting to work now and see how much money of ours is going into social security and Medicare knowing full well that those systems will most likely be bankrupt by the time we need them. Furthermore, many of us don't WANT them, we want liberty. What kind of nation is this when we profess to be the land of the free yet our wages are garnished to subsidize a group of citizens who aren't working anymore? Don't get me wrong, I believe in keeping promises that you make but why shouldn't I be able to opt out of this system? We should be responsible for our own future! I'm 20 years old and I already have an investment account and a savings account that I am building up with each paycheck. Fortunately I have been taught by my parents to save and invest and to not depend on anyone for anything and I thank them for that message. America is an individualist nation, or at least once was, perhaps that explains why we've fallen into collectivism and view everything in terms of race, ethnicity, red state blue state, and etc. It makes my blood boil when I see those in charge foolishly ruining the value of our dollar, bankrupting our economy, entering us into fruitless wars overseas with nations that never posed a threat to us and then having the nerve to do us even more damage by dividing us as a nation. It makes me cry that I am seeing the nation that I have grown up to love, the nation that I once thought represented the land of the free, fall into a nation that is despised around the world. Our nation now stands for war mongering, torture, violation of civil liberties, poor fiscal discipline, and violation of human rights and liberty across the board.

With all of these bad things I've mentioned above, I lost hope in our political system. I gave up like so many Americans have. I figured it was hopeless and prayed that whoever was elected would be the one that would damage our nation the least, not be the one that improves it as no candidate seemed to be able to do. These "Top-tier" or "mainstream" candidates just seem like a bunch of dumb and crooked used car salesmen. People you wouldn't trust anything with, let alone your life, liberty, money and children. When I first heard about Ron Paul I became absolutely obsessed. It seemed far too good to be true, but yet it was a reality! Ron Paul cured my apathy of American politics. Finally I said "HERE IS A CANDIDATE WHICH REPRESENTED AND SPOKE FOR ME!" Then I said to myself "but this man has no chance of getting elected." Being an idealistic youth however, I decided to forget that notion and back him either way. After all one of the most noble things one can do is stand behind someone who is speaking the truth rather than letting them hang out to dry.

People, this can be done. We just need one final push. We need to keep up the good work and not lose hope. To me this is not just the battle for the 2008 presidency. This is the 2nd American revolution. The time is right, and the time is now. WE THE PEOPLE, are going to take back our nation and ensure a bright future not just for our children, not just for our youth, but for everyone. I'm proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with people of all races, creeds and age groups in this struggle. All of you are the true patriots in this country. Those of you who value liberty and freedom above all. God bless you all and I pray we can share a new America together.

P.S. Wish me luck! Next week I have to do a mock introduction speech and I've chosen to do it on Ron Paul, so I can educate my class as to who he is and what he stands for.

nullvalu
10-12-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm 27 & agree with you completely. Welcome to the forum & good luck on your speech. But I don't think anyone's going to lose hope at this point...everytime we've hit a setback it's only made us want to fight harder.

Paulitician
10-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Being 2 years your junior, I completely agree! It's like this country has gone to hell in a hand basket, or at least it seems so because this is the first time I've been politically aware.

Keep fighting the good fight and good luck on your speech

thehittgirl
10-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Said it once and say it again...it's good to see people your age take interest. I didn't. I regret it too. Partied too much in my youth. But I'm very fortunate to have married a man who woke me up to what is going on.

Now I am trying to wake my family up!