PDA

View Full Version : WaPo: The end of the liberal-libertarian romance

MichelleHeart
05-23-2010, 10:53 AM
The end of the liberal-libertarian romance? I didn't know there was one. Article here (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/05/the_end_of_the_liberal-liberta.html). An excerpt:

But we're not done with the fallout here. As I noted last night on Hardball, Paul's campaign was surprised and unhappy that MSNBC's Rachel Maddow drilled him so hard on the civil rights issue - something that was obvious when Paul sarcastically thanked Maddow for a brutal introductory video, clipping together all of his quotes on the CRA. Normally, it wouldn't be news that a Republican candidate was annoyed by Rachel Maddow. But Rand Paul and his father, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.), had been welcome on Maddow's show, where they'd happily light into mainstream Republicans. Before the younger Paul became a Senate nominee, he was an emissary for a brand of Republican politics less threatening than the Dick Cheney kind - anti-Fed, anti-war, pro-drug legalization. (Paul is not personally pro-drug legalization, but many of his supporters are.) After he won the nomination, it was open season on his more extreme politics.

FrankRep
05-23-2010, 10:56 AM
The end of the liberal-libertarian romance? I didn't know there was one. Article here (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/05/the_end_of_the_liberal-liberta.html). An excerpt:

Rachel Maddow liked Ron Paul because he wasn't afraid to slam the Republican party.

MichelleHeart
05-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Rachel Maddow liked Ron Paul because he wasn't afraid to slam the Republican party.

But how many people on these forums are wedded to the liberals anyway now that this is out? I was never wedded to the liberals anyway. :D

Sentient Void
05-23-2010, 11:35 AM
But how many people on these forums are wedded to the liberals anyway now that this is out? I was never wedded to the liberals anyway. :D

Actually, my gf (whom I've been with for a few years and we live together), which we might as well be married btw, was a raging liberal for a long time.

But then again, I did convince her otherwise ;)

dr. hfn
05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
there never was any real alliance

torchbearer
05-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I thought we were using them for free air time. Their motive was to have someone on who would bash the GOP. Our motive was to get our ideas to the people.
Looks like their plan of divide and conquer failed- now they are desperate.

RM918
05-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Salon has basically turned into Wonkette. I can barely go there to read Greenwald anymore because I'd have to spy the shit they write on the borders.

cheapseats
05-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I thought we were using them for free air time. Their motive was to have someone on who would bash the GOP. Our motive was to get our ideas to the people.
Looks like their plan of divide and conquer failed- now they are desperate.

Liberals/Democrats and Conservative/Republicans are flip sides of the coins used in MONEYCHANGING IN THE TEMPLE OF MAN'S LORDSHIP OVER MAN.

They have the Offices, the Campaign Process, the Election Machinery, the Military, the Weaponry, the Police, the Courts, the Prisons, the Energy, the Telecommunications, the Banks, the Printing Presses, a TWO-PARTY STRANGLEHOLD and a TIMID CITIZENRY.

They live like Royalty, replete with state-of-the-art Security AND laws protecting the Governors from dissension by the Governed.

Look around to ascertain who is desperate.

cindy25
05-23-2010, 12:16 PM
there was sort of an alliance, Kucinich and Gravel were treated well here