PDA

View Full Version : The underlying thread I think many miss.

Mr. White
10-12-2007, 09:21 AM
I think many people are attracted to RP because of his specific ideas regarding the war, or money, or whatever. That's great but I'm getting the sense that many of those same people miss the underlying issue that RP's declaring. I synthesized it for a friend who liked RP for his war stance, but not for his anti-abortion stance.

"I hear you on the abortion issue, I'm pro-choice myself. What appeals to me is the guy recognizes that the Federal Govt. is playing outside the rules, and that all sides have done it. Roe v. Wade was a reasonable opinion, but it came from thin air. The Supreme Court had no authoriity to find as it did because there was nothing in the Constitution regarding Federal protection of abortion which it could interpret. What Ron Paul is advocating is the return of forcing the government to act WITHIN the rules. I'm not voting for Ron because I agree with everything the man says, I'm voting for him because I recognize that neither party is playing by the rules that they should. I don't want anybody overstepping the Constitution declaring the 'end justifies the means' because one group doing so to feed the homeless allows another side to do so to discriminate against gays. We can't allow ourselves to pick and choose hypocrisy."

klamath
10-12-2007, 09:25 AM
I agree with nearly everything RP stands for but his broad overall apeal across the spectrum is because of what you said.

Severius
10-12-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree with nearly everything he stands for. One of the few things I disagreed with him on was the death penalty, but he quickly won me over to his side.