PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons voice actor Harry Shearer joins in on Rand Paul hate-fest

MichelleHeart
05-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Article here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harry-shearer/the-rand-paul-quote-every_b_584749.html). Shearer writes on HuffPo:

Yes, he played cat-and-mouse with Rachel Maddow on the subject of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, but, as he rightly points out (pun intended), that's primarily a backward-looking debate. What's escaping public notice so far, though, is his take on a far more contemporary issue: accountability. Here's Rand Paul on the BP oil spill:

"I think it's part of this sort of blame game society in the sense that it's always got to be someone's fault instead of the fact that sometimes accidents happen."

The reason this quote isn't inflaming debate the way Paul's Libertarian dance around the Civil Rights Act has is simple: on this issue, Paul is not fringe-y or extremist or unusual; he's spouting a line we've heard incessantly, from defenders of BP, from apologists for the US Army Corps of Engineers (in the case of the flooding of New Orleans), from architects of the Iraq War. Paul is channeling Donald Rumsfeld: "Stuff happens." Nothing to see here, move on.

The deeper meaning of the quote is the standard Republican assault against lawyers who have the temerity to challenge, in court, established power. Just this week, the Louisiana legislature defeated a bill that would have punished the Tulane Legal Clinic for its work taking government agencies to court. The bill had the support of the Louisiana Chemical Association.

The political spin on Paul is that he's worrisome because he's not within the standard lines of the modern political debate. I'd suggest he's worrisome because he is.

Kýrie eléison
05-22-2010, 05:13 AM
paul is channeling donald rumsfeld

oh no you di'int.

BenIsForRon
05-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Rand Paul was asking for this when he said that. It is not the best idea to even try to defend the company who's oil is poisoning most of the Gulf coastline.

Aratus
05-22-2010, 07:37 AM
IMOHO at least rand does not duck out on things.
if the blame is four-way... namely the three idiots
who charmingly pointed at each other in front of
the committee and the federal gov't who let
them drill in the way and manner they did, as
all may have been careless or feckless when
the first initial oil gushed up from the very huge
pool under a mile of ocean and a half-mile of
sea bed, are we surprised at a geiser coming
up with the gasses it did, like a pepsi or coke
bottle when shook once the cap is off?? as we
monday morning quarterback, Rand Paul is one
more voice as we all know something went wrong!

ItsTime
05-22-2010, 07:42 AM
I find it strange all these people with such low post counts doing nothing but posting articles bashing Rand.... Most with far left media outlets like HufPo and MSNBC.

sluggo
05-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Raise your hand if you give a shit what Harry Shearer thinks........

Yeah, I thought so.

Meatwasp
05-22-2010, 07:59 AM
I find it strange all these people with such low post counts doing nothing but posting articles bashing Rand.... Most with far left media outlets like HufPo and MSNBC.

I was thinking the same thing. Trolls go back in your dark holes and quit stealing the sunshine on our win.

j6p
05-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Liberals are trying to infiltrate, there's nothing but negative posts, with the new people. We will rout you guys out.

MsDoodahs
05-22-2010, 08:04 AM

Yeah, I thought so.

cracked me up!

:)

RonPaulFanInGA
05-22-2010, 08:04 AM
If only Huffington Post/Salon/MSNBC was relevant to conservative Kentucky democrats, I might care.

georgiaboy
05-22-2010, 08:07 AM
snap, Harry. Love your work, hate your politics.

Golding
05-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Somewhere along the line, entertainers got this weird idea that their audience actually cares what their political opinions are. For me, they couldn't be more wrong.

Stick with doing the voice work of Kent Brockman, Harry, and avoid trying to actually live the role.

Epic
05-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Rand Paul would be the #1 anti-corporatist senator in DC if he were elected.

So what's everybody complaining about?

In that same interview, Rand clearly stated that BP would be liable for what they had done.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-22-2010, 11:19 AM
why does bp donate to conway but not rand paul? :/

damiengwa
05-22-2010, 11:20 AM
wow all the lefty loons are coming out of the woodwork...this is hilarious. The angry left is THE reason that bush kept skimming by... But rand will make their heads implode. This is good eatin' i tell ya.

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Like others have said, we're now past the 'First they ignore you, then they laugh at you' and we're straight into 'then they fight you'. Yeppers, lefties are running scared now because a possible Libertarian movement could sweep them from power using the very issues they long ago co-opted and corrupted.

RonPaulCult
05-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Am I supposed to care what some cartoon voice guy thinks. Is that the best they can come up with?

lester1/2jr
05-22-2010, 12:18 PM
there is real segregation going on in israel/palestine

hey liberals it doesn't take much courage to defend the 1964 civil rightsd act, how about fighting against a real apartheid situation? ha! you wouldn't dare. nostalgia, that's all this is

BW2112
05-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Fuck you Harry!!! The Simpsons havent been good since the 20th century. Time to retire and sink into obscurity.

Anti Federalist
05-22-2010, 12:39 PM
It must have killed Harry to recite John Schwartzwelder lines for all those years.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2m5o00h.jpg

tnvoter
05-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Yeah, I thought so.

hahaha

JosephTheLibertarian
05-22-2010, 12:41 PM
just call him harryballzonia

AJ Antimony
05-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Not surprising... The Simpsons has always been liberal

Depressed Liberator
05-22-2010, 01:35 PM
The Simpsons were amazing from season 3 to 8 (in fact, I think the only show that comes close to its greatness in that period is Seinfeld), but who gives a shit about them now.

Brian4Liberty
05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Harry Shearer wants expanded security checks at Airports...

YouTube - This Is Spinal Tap - Cucumber Scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRpWnK6Rg3E)

Shimpchip
05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Mr. Burns hates Rand Paul!

emazur
05-22-2010, 02:42 PM

Nope.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/finnigan-t1.1.1.html

And that article didn't even mention about how they had an episode on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead

BlackTerrel
05-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Interesting timing as well. Immediately after Rand won in a LANDSLIDE. Almost like some people are panicking or something.

AJ Antimony
05-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Nope.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/finnigan-t1.1.1.html

And that article didn't even mention about how they had an episode on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead

I said liberal not statist. But yes you're right, they have had many libertarian episodes.

Anti Federalist
05-22-2010, 07:16 PM

John Swartzwelder has written more show for the Simpsons than any other writer and he is a libertarian.

Most of his shows were in the early years, which explains why those shows are so much better.

From Wiki

John Swartzwelder (born November 16, 1950) is an American comedy writer and novelist, best known for his work on the animated television series The Simpsons, as well as a number of novels. He is credited with writing the largest number of The Simpsons episodes (59 full episodes, with contributions to four others) by a large margin

When California passed an anti-smoking law, Swartzwelder bought the diner booth and installed it in his house, allowing him to continue his process in peace.[5] He is also reported to be a staunch libertarian as well as a gun rights advocate, and despite having written many of the environmentally driven episodes, he has been described as an "anti-environmentalist".[6] David X. Cohen once related a story of Swartzwelder going on an extended diatribe about how there is more rain forest on Earth now than there was a hundred years ago

MichelleHeart
05-22-2010, 07:17 PM
The Simpsons were amazing from season 3 to 8 (in fact, I think the only show that comes close to its greatness in that period is Seinfeld), but who gives a shit about them now.

The Golden Age of The Simpsons was definitely in the 90's. They slaughtered all sides. Ahh, I miss cartoons from the 90's. Animaniacs made fun of the Left all the time.

Danke
05-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Fuck you Harry!!! The Simpsons havent been good since the 20th century. Time to retire and sink into obscurity.

Really, never?

MichelleHeart
05-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Really, never?

21st century Simpsons episodes are pretty much a borefest.