PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul, effective reasoning and interesting coincidences

JohnEngland
05-22-2010, 03:28 AM
I find it quite interesting that shortly after all this media attention, I should get a book and DVD discussing "Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning".

At the beginning of the introduction, it states, "Far from the stereotypes of contentiousness or quarrelsomeness, argumentation is the study of reasons given by people to justify their acts or beliefs and to influence the thought or action of others. It is concerned with communication that seeks to persuade others through reasoned judgment."

And immediately, I thought about Ron Paul. This is what he does regularly - educating the masses through sound, reasoned argument.

It's also what Rand does. However, as we now know, if you're running in a senate election, you cannot freely do this. Reasoned argument must be limited.

The media look for "contentiousness" and "quarrelsomeness", whilst Rand looks for "argumentation". Naturally, he's going to have to forego certain topics. However, I don't see any reason why he should not engage in reasoned debate on healthcare, energy, national debt etc.

Reasoned argument will win Rand this election - though he's just got to be careful where he applies it :)