PDA

View Full Version : Rand cancels Meet the Press appearance

libertybrewcity
05-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Kentucky Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul is backing out of a planned appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Paul's decision to cancel on the Sunday show comes after he suffered a series of self-inflicted wounds on other national TV shows this week on issues ranging from his views on the Civil Rights Act to the Obama administration’s response to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Jesse Benton, a spokesman for the libertarian-leaning Kentuckian, told Dave Weigel that Paul's Friday interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" was intended to "set the record straight" on the candidate's views on the Civil Rights Act.

"No more national interviews on the topic," Benton said.

Paul's decision to back out of his "Meet the Press" appearance may have had less to do with the specific issue of his stance on the 1960s anti-discrimination law than a broader worry that he was endangering his campaign by continuing to sit for TV interviews, though.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37623.html#ixzz0ocF8GbSK

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37623.html

ItsTime
05-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Good. No more allowing them to twist his words and keep this in focus, move on and GET BACK TO THE REAL ISSUES!

Nathan Hale
05-21-2010, 07:06 PM
He should counter this with aggressive in-state campaigning instead

UCFGavin
05-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Good. No more allowing them to twist his words and keep this in focus, move on and GET BACK TO THE REAL ISSUES!

it will continue to come up, either now or later

Fozz
05-21-2010, 07:11 PM
This is very bad......makes Rand look weak. If they choose to invite Conway to replace Rand, it will be devastating.

ItsTime
it will continue to come up, either now or later

Good point. So why linger on it now. Rand has made his point. Time for HIM to move on. Let Conway clutch it and sink with it.

sirgonzo420

yep

HPK
05-21-2010, 07:13 PM

I agree. The people in KY are what matters in this campaign, not what east coast or left coast liberals believe. They can't cast a vote in KY.

rprprs
05-21-2010, 07:22 PM

I agree...emphasis on AGGRESSIVE.
And, in each appearance, making it clear that he is bringing his message of smaller government and reduced spending directly to THE PEOPLE, since it's become readily apparent he hasn't been allowed to do so through major media outlets controlled by the democratic left.

HPK
05-21-2010, 07:25 PM
And, in each appearance, making it clear that he is bringing his message of smaller government and reduced spending directly to THE PEOPLE, since it's become readily apparent he hasn't been allowed to do so through major media outlets controlled by the democratic left.

There is a great conservative ad agency in the Louisivlle area that does hilarious parodies of Obama. Rand would be wise to hook up with them. I always chuckle when I hear their ads on the radio. Just a thought.

http://www.grabyourbootstrap.com/

Nathan Hale
05-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Good angle.

rprprs
05-21-2010, 07:30 PM
There is a great conservative ad agency in the Louisivlle area that does hilarious parodies of Obama. Rand would be wise to hook up with them. I always chuckle when I hear their ads on the radio. Just a thought.

http://www.grabyourbootstrap.com/

Well, I don't know anything about that, but I want to make it clear, that by "AGGRESSIVE", I did not mean 'silly'. I meant on-target, full-throttle and relentless.

HPK
05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Well, I don't know anything about that, but I want to make it clear, that by "AGGRESSIVE", I did not mean 'silly'. I meant on-target, full-throttle and relentless.

Why not do both?

MsDoodahs
05-21-2010, 07:35 PM

That is excellent.

rprprs
05-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Why not do both?

Because, this is not a laughing matter, not a comedy act, and Rand is not a buffoon.

HPK
05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=rprprs;2710765]Because, this is not a laughing matter, not a comedy act, and Rand is not a buffoon.[/QUOT

Obviously, I am on the wrong forum. I guess living in Louisville and knowing how the people think around here discounts my opinion. Being too uptight is going to hurt Rand. Ciao, it has been short and not so fun.

BenIsForRon
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Obviously, I am on the wrong forum. I guess living in Louisville and knowing how the people think around here discounts my opinion. Being too uptight is going to hurt Rand. Ciao, it has been short and fun.

Dude, look over my posts today and look at the shit I've been dealing with. If you can't handle one disagreement, then you are on the wrong forum.

HPK
05-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Dude, look over my posts today and look at the shit I've been dealing with. If you can't handle one disagreement, then you are on the wrong forum.

First off I am not a Dude. I can handle disagreement, but I just joined this forum and am being attacked. I like Rand, but I don't need to be belittled by someone who doesn't even likely live in KY.

You know some of you might want to be a little more welcoming and not so dismissive or belittling of ideas. I am not a big fan of GROUP THINK.

damiengwa
05-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Nah, rand should hold a press conference and tell the state of KY WHY he is not going on meet the press. Cry foul about the liberal media from on high. point them out for the scoundrals we all know them to be. then refuse to go on the show because of their vile and biased attacks painting him as a racist.

If some one accused you of being a racist would you EVER sit down with them and legitimize them? NO! your would publicly deny it and condemn the slander.

He should challenge those asses at MSNBC to a dual!

FSP-Rebel
05-21-2010, 07:50 PM
First off I am not a Dude. I can handle disagreement, but I just joined this forum and am being attacked. I like Rand, but I don't need to be belittled by someone who doesn't even llikely live in KY.

You know some of you might want to be a little more welcoming and not so dismissive or belittling of ideas. I am not a big fan of GROUP THINK.
Lot's of high emotions running through this forum right now, maybe more than ever before. I welcome ya and hope you'll stick around to enjoy the general election with us.

Fozz
05-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Nah, rand should hold a press conference and tell the state of KY WHY he is not going on meet the press. Cry foul about the liberal media from on high. point them out for the scoundrals we all know them to be. then refuse to go on the show because of their vile and biased attacks painting him as a racist.

If some one accused you of being a racist would you EVER sit down with them and legitimize them? NO! your would publicly deny it and condemn the slander.

He should challenge those asses at MSNBC to a dual!

If he wants to take on the notion that he is a wimp, he needs to SPECIFICALLY point out some of the LIES and distortions that the media have used, to make the media look bad. And yes, there have been lies, including lies from Maddow a day after the disastrous interview.

HPK
05-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Lot's of high emotions running through this forum right now, maybe more than ever before. I welcome ya and hope you'll stick around to enjoy the general election with us.

Thank you.

My goal is to help Rand win here in Kentucky. I like him and his message. If people don't like my idea(s) that is fine, but I think people should not be made to feel badly for brainstorming to help Rand. Respectfully disagreeing is fine, attacking is not. I believe Rand would agree, especially after the last couple of days he has had to endure with the liberal media.

rich34
05-21-2010, 07:58 PM
This is very bad......makes Rand look weak. If they choose to invite Conway to replace Rand, it will be devastating.

Weak to whom? Democrats? Surely not republicans, if anything I'm betting they will unite around Rand because he can announce that he is unequivocally being attacked by the liberal media. This is a good move by the campaign to put a stop to this bullshit!

HPK
05-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Weak to whom? Democrats? Surely not republicans, if anything I'm betting they will unite around Rand because he can announce that he is unequivocally being attacked by the liberal media. This is a good move by the campaign to put a stop to this bullshit!

Many Kentuckians are at Church when MTP is on TV, so many would likely not even catch it or care about it. :)

rprprs
05-21-2010, 08:03 PM

As do I, and my comments were not meant as a personal attack. I apologize if offense was taken. I was just never a big fan of the heavy reliance on YouTube parodies and Obama 'Joker' posters. The question was posed, I responded. It was an opinion, nothing more.

HPK
05-21-2010, 08:04 PM
As do I, and my comments were not meant as a personal attack. I apologize if offense was taken. I was just never a big fan of the heavy reliance on YouTube parodies and Obama 'Joker' posters. The question was posed, I responded. It was an opinion, nothing more.

Fine, I say we move on. I look forward to providing any insight that I can from the Louisville area. I am a friend not foe.

Fozz
05-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Weak not only to Democrats but moderates and Independents in the middle who were willing to support Rand as recently as Wednesday.

This is very embarrassing, on top of the humiliation from that Maddow interview.

Flash
05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I think I agree that Rand needs to stay off of national television for a while.

Meatwasp
05-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Weak not only to Democrats but moderates and Independents in the middle who were willing to support Rand as recently as Wednesday.

This is very embarrassing.

B.S. Fozz. heh

Fozz
05-21-2010, 08:13 PM
I think I agree that Rand needs to stay off of national television for a while.

It certainly does not make him look like a leader.

Sure, those who supported Sarah Palin's decision to resign last year may be the types that sympathize with Rand in this turmoil with the liberal media, but others will see a weakling who is not fit for national office, much like they saw Palin as a wimp for resigning last year.

MsDoodahs
05-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Many Kentuckians are at Church when MTP is on TV, so many would likely not even catch it or care about it. :)

That is what I was thinking.

HPK
05-21-2010, 08:14 PM

I'll try to garner a feel for the independents/moderates in the area. In my opinion, the moderates are mostly DINOs. They are not happy with the debt or unemployment. Rand needs to get back on message as to that is what he is fighting for and I think he will recover from this week. Some local Town Halls for the next month would help.

Obama is underwater here in KY and Conway is a rubber stamp for his agenda. That needs to be the reiterated message. The sooner the better!

Flash
05-21-2010, 08:16 PM
It certainly does not make him look like a leader.

Sure, those who supported Sarah Palin's decision to resign last year may be the types that sympathize with Rand in this turmoil with the liberal media, but others will see a weakling who is not fit for national office, much like they saw Palin as a wimp for resigning last year.

Rand shouldn't be running to be the leader of the GOP, rather he should be running to be a Senator from KY. Plus.. Palin is a national figure and has been a national figure since 2007. So its different for her.

Fozz
05-21-2010, 08:17 PM
I'll try to garner a feel for the independents/moderates in the area. In my opinion, the moderates are mostly DINOs. They are not happy with the debt or unemployment. Rand needs to get back on message as to that is what he is fighting for and I think he will recover from this week. Some local Town Halls for the next month would help.

Obama is underwater here in KY and Conway is a rubber stamp for his agenda. That needs to be the reiterated message. The sooner the better!

You know more than I do since you live in KY. If the KY Democrats are more worried about the debt than the Civil Rights Act, then Rand may recover.

However, most liberals are hypersensitive on that issue and many are quick to brand someone a racist. I just hope KY's Dems can see through the nonsense of Jackass and the liberal media.

HPK
05-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Rand shouldn't be running to be the leader of the GOP, rather he should be running to be a Senator from KY. Plus.. Palin is a national figure and has been a national figure since 2007. So its different for her.

I agree! Rand's election is local to KY. He needs to connect with the people of Kentucky, not the overall population of the U.S.

HPK
05-21-2010, 08:22 PM
You know more than I do since you live in KY. If the KY Democrats are more worried about the debt than the Civil Rights Act, then Rand may recover.

However, most liberals are hypersensitive on that issue and many are quick to brand someone a racist. I just hope KY's Dems can see through the nonsense of Jackass and the liberal media.

Conway needs to be exposed for his rubber stamp potential for the Obama agenda. How it is done effectively, I'm not sure because he has the liberal National MSM and Lousiville MSM (Daddy Conway has a lot of influence in this town) on his side. Early on in this general campaign, my thinking is Rand needs to focus on the urban areas of Kentucky (because that will be his challenge in the Commonwealth) to get his message out to win the hearts and minds of the people of the Commonweath, so that it isn't distorted by the liberals. I'm telling you, in person he really connects with a crowd. Trust me on this one!

sirgonzo420
05-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree - the fight is in KENTUCKY.

obijuan
05-21-2010, 08:32 PM

As a Kentuckian, I think there's a feeling statewide that we (as a state) are not portrayed well in general. We're cast as hillbillies who have no education. We're not. I think Rand being attacked by the national media on race issues, when he's CLEARLY not racist, actually plays well.

Whether we wanted to admit it to ourselves or not, Rand was going to be attacked on two things in the general: "racism" and "he wants to take your Social Security". I'm frankly glad one of them came up early. The SS thing is easy to deal with.

We have Conway on immigration, entitlements, debt, spending, and healthcare. Those topics are 3 to 4 of the top 5 issues people in this state care about now. Heck, maybe even all five. We've got this.

I personally wish Rand WAS going on Meet the Press, but I think the decision to back out of it is neutral as far as the effect on the campaign. I just want to hear him go after people like he did George S on ABC. I'm not at all sure it's best for the campaign.

I think the national media will calm down soon, and Rand will be free to bring up Conway's ideas that well over 50% of Kentuckians disagree with.

seeker4sho
05-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Kentucky Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul is backing out of a planned appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Paul's decision to cancel on the Sunday show comes after he suffered a series of self-inflicted wounds on other national TV shows this week on issues ranging from his views on the Civil Rights Act to the Obama administration’s response to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Jesse Benton, a spokesman for the libertarian-leaning Kentuckian, told Dave Weigel that Paul's Friday interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" was intended to "set the record straight" on the candidate's views on the Civil Rights Act.

"No more national interviews on the topic," Benton said.

Paul's decision to back out of his "Meet the Press" appearance may have had less to do with the specific issue of his stance on the 1960s anti-discrimination law than a broader worry that he was endangering his campaign by continuing to sit for TV interviews, though.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37623.html#ixzz0ocF8GbSK

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37623.html

There were no "self-inflicted wounds", the whole controversy was a set up. His opponent told Chris Matthews a bold faced lie that spread to other MSM networks. The MSM supports the establishment pimps and whores in Congress
and will do anything and everything to stop Rand and the Tea Party movement from gaining more power -- their very existence is at stake. Politics is a blood sport. Rachel Maddow drew first blood. She does not have the power she thinks she has -- what goes around comes around. Sooner or later she will get her come-up-pence.

HPK
05-21-2010, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=obijuan;2710953]As a Kentuckian, I think there's a feeling statewide that we (as a state) are not portrayed well in general. We're cast as hillbillies who have no education. We're not. I think Rand being attacked by the national media on race issues, when he's CLEARLY not racist, actually plays well.

Whether we wanted to admit it to ourselves or not, Rand was going to be attacked on two things in the general: "racism" and "he wants to take your Social Security". I'm frankly glad one of them came up early. The SS thing is easy to deal with.

We have Conway on immigration, entitlements, debt, spending, and healthcare. Those topics are 3 to 4 of the top 5 issues people in this state care about now. Heck, maybe even all five. We've got this.

I personally wish Rand WAS going on Meet the Press, but I think the decision to back out of it is neutral as far as the effect on the campaign. I just want to hear him go after people like he did George S on ABC. I'm not at all sure it's best for the campaign.
As the Kentucky AG, the fact that Conway refused to file suit like other states against the healthcare bill is not going to bode well for him here. My personal opinion is that I think that Conway is too liberal for most Kentucky voters. I hope I am correct in my assessment. I was speaking with my 75 year old neighbor today and he was appalled at how Rand was being attacked by the media and that he thought Rand hit a home run when he told George S. to have Byrd come on and debate the CRA with him. People that age lived and remember that turmoil.

When Conway is exposed as an Obama supporter, he will not do well in Kentucky. There is a lot of ammo out there, I hope the Republicans (like or hate him, McConnell knows what will be effective in Kentucky) use it wisely.

rich34
05-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Fozz where are you from? I'm in WV and Kentucky is not much different. Civils Rights Act in Kentucky and WV are not as big of a deal to democrats as what you're making it out to be. This is appalachia remember? Obama suffered his worst defeats in WV and KY in the primaries to Hillary if that tells you anything.

Also, do you not remember the ultra liberals blowing off the big losses Obama had to Hillary in these states because of "racist white appalachia?" Hell, I admit I got a little excited over the campaign for liberty not doing anything in the final weeks to help Rand (not knowing they couldn't) in the primary, but I think you're getting a little excited over this issue. The only issue I see here is the dems/liberals will try and use this as a tool to raise money for Conway because they'll convince everyone that "Rand is a racist"...

mikem317
05-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Ugh. Jesse Benton is Rand Paul's campaign spokesperson? Yuck.

american.swan
05-21-2010, 09:02 PM
I think Rand should go on meet the press, just later. Like after a couple of weeks. Get some ads in KY to make it clear he's for KY.