PDA

View Full Version : How do you repsond to someone as hostile as this?

MrTwisted
10-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Recently a friend of mine responded to a myspace bulletin i posted of a great Ron Paul Video.

" He's a racist nut bag who wants to throw Constitutional guarantees of citizenship out the window. Ron Paul can suck my Balls."

How does someone reply to such an angry and misguided statement?

tcmaroc
10-12-2007, 08:14 AM
you don't respond to people like that

Primbs
10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Ignore him and hope he doesn't vote. Our main goal is to identify supporters and get them to the polls.

MrTwisted
10-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Ignore him and hope he doesn't vote. Our main goal is to identify supporters and get them to the polls.

I know, it's just a shame I've been friend with this guys since I was 13.

Mortikhi
10-12-2007, 08:19 AM
A fist to the face! =)

Or ask him to back up what he just said

MrTwisted
10-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Recently an old and dear childhood friend of mine responded to a myspace bulletin i posted of a great Ron Paul Video.

" He's a racist nut bag who wants to throw Constitutional guarantees of citizenship out the window. Ron Paul can suck my Balls."

orenbus
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I've run into this problem too, not sure what the best answer would be. I'm sure someone here has some good info on this issue. Can anyone help?

Question_Authority
10-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Recently an old and dear childhood friend of mine responded to a myspace bulletin i posted of a great Ron Paul Video.

There is no way to combat that kind of lunacy. I just ignore those people, because honestly, there is just no way to get through to them. Don't waste your time. Or, you could just say something like "I heartily disagree with you. I am sorry you cannot see the truth behind Ron Paul's message".

MrTwisted
10-12-2007, 08:37 AM
There is no way to combat that kind of lunacy. I just ignore those people, because honestly, there is just no way to get through to them. Don't waste your time. Or, you could just say something like "I heartily disagree with you. I am sorry you cannot see the truth behind Ron Paul's message".

I'd like to give a decent link and some info to him. I really don't want to ignore him. He's been a good friend of mine for a long time now.

He's served in the military for several years including in the Iraq war.

Someone has obviously given him bad info... I really think "knowing him well" that he's is saying this because he would like more info on it.

lynnf
10-12-2007, 08:39 AM

here's a stab:

If you're calling him a racist because a staffer wrote some comments in his newsletter without permission, I wish you would reconsider that opinion. As far as "birthright" citizenship goes, that was not in the original Constitution and he only wants to prevent so-called "anchor babies" from getting citizenship - stopping those that cross the border with the purpose of establishing that anchor baby as a citizen.

end of stab

-- now, if you feel like really hitting him hard (and I don't recommend it) you can say the true sign of a nut bag is ruling someone out based on innuendo and misinformation (heh, heh) - just like he is doing

lynn

TechnoGuyRob
10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
I'd like to give a decent link and some info to him. I really don't want to ignore him. He's been a good friend of mine for a long time now.

He's served in the military for several years including in the Iraq war.

Someone has obviously given him bad info... I really think "knowing him well" that he's is saying this because he would like more info on it.

In that case, you could start by telling him that Ron Paul has more donations from military personnel than any other presidential candidate. ;)

Then show him "A New Hope".

Wendi
10-12-2007, 08:44 AM
You don't, unless you are a glutton for punishment.

If you really want to respond, your best approach might be "Really? Why do you say that?"

Chester Copperpot
10-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Recently a friend of mine responded to a myspace bulletin i posted of a great Ron Paul Video.

It sounds like your friend supports amnesty for illegal aliens.

Severius
10-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Umm your friend is stupid. If a person can see "individual freedom" and get "racist scumbag" they are too stupid for help. So stupid I know of no word strong enough to express the depth of his/her lack of intelligence.

micahnelson
10-12-2007, 08:58 AM
You have been friends with him since you were 13? He sounds 13.

noxagol
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Very carefully.

erowe1
10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Just point him to Paul's writings on Lewrockwell or his Google interview and leave the ball in his court. If he has a moment of weakness and decides to see for himself, he'll change his mind. If not, then there's nothing you can do anyway.

Paulitician
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
If I were you I wouldn't waste my time on lost causes, but if I were to respond this is what I'd say:

"He's a racist nut bag..."

Prove it. Every such claim has already been debunked.

"who wants to throw Constitutional guarantees of citizenship out the window."

Wow. Now there's a claim. Prove it.

hard@work
10-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Actually, he is the only true champion of Liberty for the American people and the respect for constitutional rule of law. He also would protect your right to gay love as you suggested, however he is not personally interested.

bbachtung
10-12-2007, 03:48 PM
If your friend's biggest problem with RP is that he wants to pass a Constitutional amendment to clarify the issue of birthright citizenship, then you don't have to try too hard to convince him to vote for RP.

It would require 2/3 of both Houses of Congress to refer such a Constitutional amendment to the States. In order to ratify the amendment, at least 38 States would have to vote to approve it. Considering the number of representatives that come from hugely populous, liberal States (NY and California come to mind), the 2/3 is unlikely to be achieved, and I'm betting that 13 States would be opposed to ratification.

Tell him that since he apparently agrees with RP on everything else, then he should vote for RP but fight the amendment at the State level.

wgadget
10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
You could always send him to www.ronpaullibrary.org for more information about specific issues he's concerned about. It contains a wealth of information, all in the good doctor's own words.

Lord Xar
10-12-2007, 03:55 PM

well, this person is obviously oblivious to the welfare/nanny state and incentive programs we are giving to illegal immigrants. This person also does not understand that it is NOT a constitutional right to be granted legal citizenship IF both of your parents are non-citizens.

This person is into demogoguery, as it is very obvious Ron Paul is NOT a racist, yet if that is this persons argument.. go figure.

katao
10-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Share with him this article:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul346.html

"Make no mistake, Americans are happy to welcome immigrants who follow our immigration laws and seek a better life here. America is far more welcoming and tolerant of newcomers than virtually any nation on earth. But our modern welfare state creates perverse incentives for immigrants, incentives that cloud the issue of why people choose to come here. The real problem is not immigration, but rather the welfare state magnet."

Corydoras
10-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Just a guess... could this possibly have anything to do with an ethnic group your friend might be part of and feel sympathetic to because of family ties?

Perhaps it is important to approach the unstated issue, which may be something like explaining (in more tactful terms than I'm putting it here) that you understand this person feels rejected and threatened by Paul's position against birthright citizenship, and that you hope it does not affect your friendship, and you don't think your friend and his family are any less American than you just because you don't believe in birthright citizenship, and Ron Paul's message is one of tolerance and diversity rather than division.

Anyway, talk more natural than that, but you get the drift-- address the concern rather than the actual words your friend uses.

[I use the loaded phrase "tolerance and diversity" because Ron Paul himself used it favoraly in one of his campaign emails a few months ago.]

RonPaulIsGood
10-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Delete his article as soon as possible.

Corydoras
10-14-2007, 08:14 AM
RonPaulIsGood, your post made no sense. Would you please put it in different words?

Kregener
10-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks MrTwisted just wanted to make several posts with a derogatory statement about Ron Paul in it?

Probably.

Never mind...

Corydoras
10-14-2007, 09:47 AM
I really don't want to ignore him. He's been a good friend of mine for a long time now.

You let your friends talk to you like that?

johnrocks
10-14-2007, 09:51 AM
How about showing him some videos of minorities who support him, they are out there.

Triton
10-14-2007, 02:08 PM

How does someone reply to such an angry and misguided statement?I would tell him that I wouldn't vote for someone like that, and his assertions are worrisome. I would then ask him to show me where Ron Paul makes statesments to lead him to that conclusion. He probably couldn't give me a credible source (outside of a blog somewhere) and that would be our starting point.