PDA

View Full Version : Is there a silver lining to the oil spill?

WaltM
05-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Wouldn't dirty and thick oceans block Cubans from sailing over to the southeast States illegally? Or, if they do come, would they leave a grease trail?

pacelli
05-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I think the silver lining to the oil spill is that it has created such a negative impact on the environment, that all of the environmental preservation laws are completely out the window, and it gives oil companies every reason in the world to drill MORE in the gulf. They really can't F it up any worse, can they? So drill more, and get the GD US off of foreign oil.

squarepusher
05-21-2010, 05:57 PM
they dont swim here ffs

free1
05-21-2010, 05:59 PM
"Is there a silver lining to the oil spill?" - Yea, makes me drive super slow and look way ahead at the lights so I can just glide along and not brake very much.

I drive like grandma now, and my gas gauge hardly moves. My gas bill has never been lower, and it's entertaining watching all the jack rabbit idiots show up at the next red light!

I'm just waiting for electric cars to become more affordable. You can generate electricity lots of different ways, so it's like having a super flex fuel vehicle, including solar and wind of course.

Matt Collins
05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
What is this nonsense?

tremendoustie
05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I want Cubans to be able to escape tyranny.

I'm sorry if that offends anyone who only wants freedom for people born here, and wants everyone else to be desperately poor serfs.

libertythor
05-21-2010, 06:48 PM
The grease trail bit sounds like flame bait!

WaltM
05-21-2010, 06:51 PM

I'm sorry if that offends anyone who only wants freedom for people born here, and wants everyone else to be desperately poor serfs.

I'm not offended, I'm not against other people having freedom or money, as long as it's not at the cost of mine.

tremendoustie
05-21-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm not offended, I'm not against other people having freedom or money, as long as it's not at the cost of mine.

Then your enemy is the warfare/welfare state, not immigrants. Those in government can and do find plenty of ways to waste all of your money, plus some, already. "Controlling" immigration just gives them another excuse for more tyranny.

WaltM
05-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Then your enemy is the warfare/welfare state, not immigrants.

Why can't it be both?

One gives, one gets, it takes 2.

I don't blame only my wife if she's cheating on me.

Vessol
05-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Hopefully it will raise the price of oil and give incentive for private entrepreneurs to look into alternative energy sources. That's the only silver lining I can see.

cindy25
05-21-2010, 10:03 PM
it weakened Obama. cost him FL for 2012

WaltM
05-21-2010, 10:22 PM
it weakened Obama. cost him FL for 2012

political opportunism FTW

satchelmcqueen
05-21-2010, 10:27 PM
the silver lining for me is that there is way more oil out there than they have ever admitted to. thins is just 1 well! look at all of that oil. and it hasnt slowed down yet!

tremendoustie
05-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Why can't it be both?

One gives, one gets, it takes 2.

I don't blame only my wife if she's cheating on me.

To be an immigrant does not imply you are receiving welfare. In fact, the overwhelming majority of welfare recipients are Americans. Millions of immigrants receive no welfare at all.

Oppose welfare recipients if you want. To blame all immigrants would be like blaming all butchers because your wife had an affair with one.

WaltM
05-21-2010, 11:56 PM
To be an immigrant does not imply you are receiving welfare. In fact, the overwhelming majority of welfare recipients are Americans. Millions of immigrants receive no welfare at all.

Oppose welfare recipients if you want. To blame all immigrants would be like blaming all butchers because your wife had an affair with one.

to be a person who is free at the cost of me, does not imply welfare to be the only means of doing so.

I don't consider public schools, police force, firefighters and public hospitals to be necessarily welfare, but for immigrants to compete with me over the use of them, is being free at the cost of my own well-being, which I choose not to approve of or support. Yes, I'm saying that just for being in my state, and breathing, they're costing me my freedoms & entitlements, even if they get no monetary assistance from taxpayers.

tremendoustie
05-22-2010, 12:01 AM
to be a person who is free at the cost of me, does not imply welfare to be the only means of doing so.

What means are you referring to?

I think to arbitrarily object to immigrants, when the recipients of government handouts are overwhelmingly Americans, is very unfair. If the OP is any indication, I fear it's a cover for some degree of bigotry.

Government clamping down on those who work or live without jumping through their hoops, is no solution to government largess. Quite the opposite.

tremendoustie
05-22-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't consider public schools, police force, firefighters and public hospitals to be necessarily welfare, but for immigrants to compete with me over the use of them, is being free at the cost of my own well-being, which I choose not to approve of or support. Yes, I'm saying that just for being in my state, and breathing, they're costing me my freedoms & entitlements, even if they get no monetary assistance from taxpayers.

Ah, replied too quickly apparently, and missed your edit.

You're costing me my freedom too then. Maybe I should hire some goons to drag you away.

Shotdown1027
05-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Wouldn't dirty and thick oceans block Cubans from sailing over to the southeast States illegally? Or, if they do come, would they leave a grease trail?

1.) This comment is disgusting. The BP oil spill is a disaster. It's going to cost my state (Louisiana) and others in the gulf coast billions of dollars in fishing, tourism, and other industries. The damage to the environment, our wetlands, has been catastrophic.

2.) Cubans don't come here illegally. We have something called the Wet Feet-Dry Feet policy, which means that any cuban who gets on dry land is then a legal immigrant and can become a citizen very easily/quickly. So, they're every bit as American as you are.

3.) Your last statement is also ridiculous. Immigrants steal your freedom/money just by being on American soil--even if they don't use any taxpayer funds or vote? This is preposterous. It sounds like you just hate immigrants for xenophobic reasons.

nate895
05-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Cubans, by definition, can't be illegal. They gain asylum if they step foot on US soil.

reardenstone
05-22-2010, 01:55 AM
We finally realize oil is subsidized in many ways and that it is a fraud. Then the market goes into overdrive with new energy innovations.

Why do so many people worship oil yet support removal from the Middle East? I support getting out of the Middle East, at least militarily, but I also realize that Oil would not even be an option if we had never defended those markets and had never subsidized them.

Who Killed the Electric Car?

.Tom
05-22-2010, 02:02 AM

Quoted for truth.