PDA

View Full Version : Rand Cancels Meet the Press on Sunday...

Taco John
05-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Mistake...

Rand Paul cancels Meet the Press appearance
After two days of bruising media coverage about his views on elements of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the campaign of Kentucky U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul tells me it has canceled the candidate's upcoming appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press" -- something the show's host and producer are currently sounding the alarm about on Twitter.

"Rand did Good Morning America today, set the record straight, and now we are done talking about it," said campaign spokesman Jesse Benton. "No more national interviews on the topic."

By David Weigel | May 21, 2010; 4:55 PM ET

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/05/rand_paul_cancels_meet_the_pre.html

Taco John
05-21-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't think he should run from this. I think he should take it head on. People are smart enough to understand a principled position. They'll respect you for it. What they won't respect you for is backing down in a fight, and that's what this looks like.

Cynanthrope
05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
If it's because of exhaustion then I can understand.

I think it would be more helpful of his spokesman to have listed all of the appearances Rand made the days before to indicate how many time he's already been interviewed on television.

Mini-Me
05-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't think he should run from this. I think he should take it head on. People are smart enough to understand a principled position. They'll respect you for it. What they won't respect you for is backing down in a fight, and that's what this looks like.

I tend to agree, but it seems like he's made his decision, for better or for worse. For all we know, there's another reason anyway (like the thing about Grayson and his phone call).

specsaregood
05-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, going to a grilling on a sunday morning after long night (unity party) before, great idea.

Screw NBC, they should issue some retractions before he gives them time again.

BetaMale
05-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I think Rand has done a great job sticking to his guns on this, and believe that this will only help him down the line. He'll gain some savvy, and he's definitely gotten the attention from the nation.

Let him rest, cool down, and recharge for the final push!

TXcarlosTX
05-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Rand is doing a classic Rope-A-Dope in the early rounds. Remember he needs to fight this battle against the machine unconventionally. Unorthodox you might say. The machine doesnt know whats going to hitm.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/carlosbucbuc/ali_knockout.jpg

Flash
05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Mistake

I'm going to trust the campaign and the GOP officials working & now advising the campaign on this one. I'm sure they know what they're doing. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hcWDDpnvzUBPOjd-av800lfTR8AQD9FRFLHO0

fc2008
05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
They should book Conway to sit in for Paul. The campaign continues to ask for everything its getting. If Paul is done talking about it, you can be sure Conway isn't.

sofia
05-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Bad move...

I see Jesse Benton is back in the picture now....Dump Benton....He's incompetant.

All of this media buzz is the best thing that can happen to our movement....but I suppose Benton prefers the good ole days of the silent treatment!

idiots

BenIsForRon
05-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Ok... so because of all the "gotcha" journalism, Rand is going to limit his media appearances...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/pajoyner/SarahPalin.jpg

emazur
05-21-2010, 04:55 PM
If he feels the his position on the CRA has been set straight then he should go on Meet the Press and talk about other things. It'll probably come up anyway but he doesn't have to spend more than a couple minutes on it

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Good Move

they are just going to ask him all the same questions every other media outlet asks, Are you a racist? SO YOU THINK BLACK PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE A DIFFERENT WATER FOUNTAIN, HUH?!

JohnEngland
05-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Ok... so because of all the "gotcha" journalism, Rand is going to limit his media appearances...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/pajoyner/SarahPalin.jpg

Yep, the media have been trying to do a "Palin" on Rand. Smear and spin his words.

Like when Palin said she reads all the newspapers - who cares? That statement wasn't anything yet the media turned it into something huge. Or when Palin said that Russia was visible from Alaska - so what? Yet the media crafted that into an issue when none existed. Same with Rand and the Civil Rights Act - he supports it, so who cares? Only the media and political opponents.

But Rand has something Palin doesn't - sharp intellect and a grasp of the issues. This was Palin's downfall (everyone calls her an idiot blabla) but with Rand, they're saying that he's a philosopher, a thoughtful person etc.

Time to move on and get back to exposing Konway's dangerous ideas on healthcare, energy and government spending.

devil21
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I think it's a good move. What's the rush? There's over 5 months until the general election. The timing is terrible for a few reasons.

Taco John
05-21-2010, 05:29 PM
It's huge mistake to cancel. He's only the third cancellation that the show has had in it's history. He should go on and explain the principles, not tuck tail.

devil21
05-21-2010, 05:48 PM
It's huge mistake to cancel. He's only the third cancellation that the show has had in it's history. He should go on and explain the principles, not tuck tail.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Taco John
05-21-2010, 06:02 PM
It's a marathon, not a sprint.

In a marathon, you should endeavor to maintain momentum.

NewFederalist
05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
If he is as far ahead in the polls as it seems, he should take a long vacation and keep his mouth shut. Anything he says now will be NATIONAL news and an opportunity for those who don't want him to win to do their very best to make him look bad.

Fredom101
05-21-2010, 06:12 PM
More disappointment. :(
Rand is RIGHT about the Civil Rights Act. This would be a FANTASTIC time to use the media to explain his position. OF COURSE they will try to spin it and say he hates blacks. But the anti-liberty drones that watch TV are mostly going to agree with whatever the media says. I think he would win huge points with those who are on the fence about the moral goodness of government.

I think people are questioning the very idea that government is a force for good now, and that's a great thing.

This is just one issue but can be really nailed by someone like Rand if he was principled.

He should get on MTP and stick with NO WAR NO FED NO INCOME TAX and discuss all the reasons why letting the government run businesses is a HORRIBLE idea.

Andrew-Austin
05-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Never fight a battle that is set by your opponents terms. That is fucking Sun Tzu talking, the guy who wrote The Art of War, the book on strategy. Going on every show possible to defend himself on this issue is what a fool would do, next thing that would come would be the accusations that he is obsessed with the CRA, and on and on. Its not some traditional debate which he can "win", when there can be no win there can be no gain.

If it were up to the left all talk about Rand and from Rand would be about the CRA or some other ancient historical matter. An accusation needn't be true to stick in the mind of the public. Publicity isn't inherently good. Very little damage has been inflicted by this little scuffle, turning it in to a war can change that. It would certainly be a magical thing to reap benefits out of pursuing this by arguing with every liberal on the CRA and similar things irrelevant to the present and to the election. It would be an uphill battle because its exactly what the left wants, its letting your opponents pick when and where to battle.

Good Move

they are just going to ask him all the same questions every other media outlet asks, Are you a racist? SO YOU THINK BLACK PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE A DIFFERENT WATER FOUNTAIN, HUH?!

More or less, correct.

MRoCkEd
05-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Rand should not talk about CRA anymore.

"I've stated my position - I would have voted for it, and Jack Conway was lying when he said otherwise."

Taco John
05-21-2010, 06:18 PM
If he is as far ahead in the polls as it seems, he should take a long vacation and keep his mouth shut. Anything he says now will be NATIONAL news and an opportunity for those who don't want him to win to do their very best to make him look bad.

I disagree. Rand needs to jump in front of every mic and talk about the proper role of government. We need him to become the face of the Republican party. There's more education to be done on this issue. By running from it, he signals weakness that Dems will pounce on for the rest of the cycle. By taking the issue on, he takes the issue away from them and gains more fervent support.

Republicans who hate Ron Paul are defending Rand Paul on this issue because they understand the principle. This is what we need.

RM918
05-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I think he's met the press enough lately. Let it die. Address it if it won't, but I think we've had enough for now. I honestly don't trust Rand at this point to take on the issue as convincingly as Schiff or his father would.

Teaser Rate
05-21-2010, 07:02 PM
I would recommend Rand to fire anyone on his campaign staff who advised him to cancel that interview.

The left-wing media and blogs have already portrayed him as a fringe candidate and a racist, if he doesn’t defend himself on the national stage, that smear is going to become the mainstream’s perception of him.

Going on Meet the Press would have given him the chance to change that and defend his position from an intellectual point of view. Even if people disagree with him, at least they’ll see him as principled; right now, he’s just another racist republican politician who must be defeated. (it would be interesting to see Jack Conway's donation tracker since Rand's comments)

Of course, going on would require him to be very well prepared and it might be risky, but IMO it’s better than to campaign the rest of the way with a noose around your neck and hope it doesn’t get too tight.

This issue isn’t going away, and every time he tries to duck it, it’s a victory for the other side.

kylejack
05-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Rand is doing a classic Rope-A-Dope in the early rounds. Remember he needs to fight this battle against the machine unconventionally. Unorthodox you might say. The machine doesnt know whats going to hitm.

The history of man is conflict. In a word, war.

specsaregood
05-21-2010, 07:06 PM
I see Jesse Benton is back in the picture now....Dump Benton....He's incompetant.

All of this media buzz is the best thing that can happen to our movement....but I suppose Benton prefers the good ole days of the silent treatment!

I hear Benton has been in KY for a few months now. I don't suppose you want to blame the randfall victory on him do you?

Rand needs some rest, certainly doesn't need to go into an interview on a hostile station on lack of sleep after a party and he certainly doesn't owe NBC anything. They can wait for his attention.

ItsTime
05-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Rand should not talk about CRA anymore.

"I've stated my position - I would have voted for it, and Jack Conway was lying when he said otherwise."

This we must get back to THE REAL ISSUES. This is a non-issue.

BenIsForRon
05-21-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't think Rand continuing to run is going to help. He had a few days to prepare his argument. Besides, this issue is just going to pop up again whenever he starts going on TV again.

Imaginos
05-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Never fight a battle that is set by your opponents terms. That is fucking Sun Tzu talking, the guy who wrote The Art of War, the book on strategy.
+1
At this point, this is war.
Dems need Kentucky so bad and will do anything to destroy Rand Paul.
And you can't win a war by your noble attitude alone.
In war, strategy rules.

zach
05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
how much sleep has this guy had to even think straight?!?!?!?!

he can cancel a damn interview to give a good response in the future and not repeat what maddow's was the other night.

UtahApocalypse
05-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I defended Rand yesterday on these boards for making a mistake.... I can longer support that thought. Good Luck Rand. I don't think you want to win.

I am sick of liberty candidates and their "teaching campaigns"

devil21
05-21-2010, 08:08 PM
In a marathon, you should endeavor to maintain momentum.

That usually precludes killing all of it in the first mile. There's no reason for Rand to step into ambush interview after ambush interview just to "prove" something. I want him to win.

Anti Federalist
05-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Smart move.

Why play their game, on their turf, by their rules?

Face it, in the eyes of the MSM and the establishment, we're all kooks, racists, nuts, gold bugs, and conspiracy theorists.

Why would the system treat kindly a person that is there for the expressed purpose of weakening that system?

AuH20
05-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Smart move.

Face it, in the eyes of the MSM and the establishment, we're all kooks, racists, nuts, gold bugs, and conspiracy theorists.

Why would the system treat kindly a person that is there for the expressed purpose of weakening that system?

And for that amount of time in that setting? They'll have an assortment of trick questions ready to go.

catdd
05-21-2010, 08:30 PM
He needs to lay low for awhile and work on his game.

Anti Federalist
05-21-2010, 08:31 PM
And for that amount of time in that setting? They'll have an assortment of trick questions ready to go.

Of course.

11 or 12 minutes of "When did you stop beating your wife?" questions.

cindy25
05-21-2010, 08:44 PM
mistake

even if he wanted the CRA repealed it will not hurt him in Kentucky.
there are not that many blacks, and Conway is going to get nearly all the black vote.
sad, but blacks vote for the Democrat. it is a waste of time to focus on them.

specsaregood
05-21-2010, 08:45 PM
//

MRoCkEd
05-21-2010, 08:46 PM
And in reality the democrats nominated a pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-capntrade obama-style liberal. Rand just needs to cruise and not be controversial and ride it out.
yessir

Brian4Liberty
05-21-2010, 08:46 PM
If he is as far ahead in the polls as it seems, he should take a long vacation and keep his mouth shut.

Conventional political wisdom says that the front runner doesn't have to cater to anyone, and that there is nothing to gain, but everything to lose from these type of interviews.

Never fight a battle that is set by your opponents terms. That is fucking Sun Tzu talking, the guy who wrote The Art of War, the book on strategy.

Yep.

Rand needs some rest, certainly doesn't need to go into an interview on a hostile station on lack of sleep after a party and he certainly doesn't owe NBC anything. They can wait for his attention.

Most assuredly so.

how much sleep has this guy had to even think straight?!?!?!?!

Without a doubt.

Smart move.

That would be foolish...

cindy25
05-21-2010, 09:07 PM
I say bring it on.
Let Obama and Pelosi be so enraged they go to Kentucky.
the left is going nuts about this, Rand is all over Huffington; they are worried this could go national

lx43
05-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Personally, I think Rand needs to withdraw from the national spotlight for a few days; espcially on shows that are owned by GE, the company bought and paid for by the Obama Administration. I didn't give him over $2,000 during the primaries for an education program, I gave it to him to WIN. He should focus his efforts for the time being on the voters of KY who are the people who really matter in this debate.

He should hold townhall meetings in every town, go door to door, shake hands, get on KY locals stations. Remember politics is local.

Now I'm not saying he shouldn't get on national TV at all, he should be more selective of the shows he goes on.

xd9fan
05-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I see this differant.
The media are just gang piling pack of wolves....and Rand is saying dude this is BS enough!!

They will make him back peddle till Nov if you let them. I like this call.....he needs to break the news cycle on this.....because nothing can be gain from it and only total harm from entrapment can come of it.
Discretion is the better part of valor.

He is not going anywhere......the teaparty is not about the fucking 1960's its all a trap to take him off message and defensive.......its good he pulled the cord on it.

daviddee
05-21-2010, 10:48 PM

MRoCkEd
05-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Personally, I think Rand needs to withdraw from the national spotlight for a few days; espcially on shows that are owned by GE, the company bought and paid for by the Obama Administration. I didn't give him over $2,000 during the primaries for an education program, I gave it to him to WIN. He should focus his efforts for the time being on the voters of KY who are the people who really matter in this debate.

He should hold townhall meetings in every town, go door to door, shake hands, get on KY locals stations. Remember politics is local.

Now I'm not saying he shouldn't get on national TV at all, he should be more selective of the shows he goes on.
Absolutely.

Stay off national news except for the occasional Fox News appearance on Cavuto or something similar.

cajuncocoa
05-21-2010, 10:55 PM
F*** MTP and NBC. They're not our friends, and there is nothing that was going to happen on that show Sunday morning that would have helped Rand.

IMO, they're irrelevant. I have to remind myself that NBC is still an active network at times.

lx43
05-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Absolutely.

Stay off national news except for the occasional Fox News appearance on Cavuto or something similar.

;) Are get on the Judges show when it begins airing live on FBN next month.

Shameless plug for the Judge :D

Justinjj1
05-21-2010, 11:24 PM
If he actually had a legitimate message, then any press would be a good opportunity to spread his ideals. But we all know that he's just a political opportunist that is trying to get elected and cannot defend his contradictory ideology. Way to tuck your tail between your legs Rand.

Brian4Liberty
05-21-2010, 11:26 PM
If he actually had a legitimate message, then any press would be a good opportunity to spread his ideals. But we all know that he's just a political opportunist that is trying to get elected and cannot defend his contradictory ideology. Way to tuck your tail between your legs Rand.

You seem to be upset. Do you regret donating money to Rand? Voting for Rand in the Primary?

0zzy
05-21-2010, 11:26 PM

get the hell off his back. I'm tired of all you purist who want 0.6% of the vote, who have NO IDEA what it's like to be in the media spotlight, to be labeled a racists, to have your name tarnished, to be tired but must go on to, what, get smeared by the mainstream media again?

GET OFF THE HORSES WHICH ARE MUCH TOO HIGH FOR YOU! This is getting tiring.

Taco John
05-21-2010, 11:31 PM
I understand the support, but scheduling the interview and then cancelling it when the heat in the kitchen starts to get hot simply makes him look weak. I wish it weren't true, but it does. There's a way to win this issue, and it's to stand on the principle, explain those principles, and let people know that you'll vote in favor of individual liberty in the spirit of Thomas Jefferson every single time.

Tucking tail isn't going to win the Senate. It's backbone time.

silentshout
05-21-2010, 11:59 PM
I think he should go on the interview, explain that he's exhausted or whatever, but really drive the discussion in the interview. Otherwise, it will look like he's running. Since he already said he would be there, he should unless he seriously is about to collapse. He can decline interviews afterward..

BenIsForRon
05-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Though it might be in his best interests not to go on, canceling is going to make him look bad.

Everybody on this forum should imagine, for one second, what you would say about Conway if he canceled on Meet the Press when he was in the middle of controversy. You guys would say some mean shit, as would I. So keep that in mind.

fj45lvr
05-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Big mistake.

makes him look weak and afraid.

7_digitz
05-22-2010, 12:28 AM
i dont think right now would be a good time for him. he needs to sharpen up a bit because everyone gets grilled on mtp

fj45lvr
05-22-2010, 12:37 AM
i dont think right now would be a good time for him. he needs to sharpen up a bit because everyone gets grilled on mtp

Someone stated in another blog only 2 other people have ever canceled an appearance on MTP...farakan and Prince Bandar??

If you have to cancel it would have to be for a legitimate reason.

7_digitz
05-22-2010, 12:56 AM
maybe dr paul is a muslim, lol. but in all seriousness there's nothing but landmines around him right now and he's trying to lead a movement. i just think he needs some more coaching in a lot of areas. he has until nov. i wouldn't be surprised if he did MTP the following week

Shotdown1027
05-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Paul should stay away from national press for a bit, except for shows that are friendly--like anything on FoxNews or Fox Business.

He definitely should get back to working on Kentucky voters. Hold town halls, shake babies and kiss hands (you see what I did there?), send out mailers, hold events, etc.
Most importantly, fundraise fundraise fundraise. You now have the Kentucky GOP on your side--that's a new fundraising base that you did not have before.

With that said, he does have to walk a line between running locally, in order to win, and being in the national press, which helps him to raise money and raise name ID. Ultimately, I think Paul is caught in a tension between his want to win the Senate race in 2010 and his want to look past that...to the national stage and possibly even the Presidency. Rand Paul, if he plays his cards right, could become a darling of the tea party the way Sarah Palin is--a darling of the libertarians the way Ron Paul is. Not only is there great personal wealth and power in this, there is the added ability of being able to spread the liberty message, which Rand is so passionate about, to a wider audience. It's a big opportunity, and I'd be loathed to pass it up--I think Rand shows his integrity and maturity by passing up a major show like Meet the Press in order to stop the bleeding.

7_digitz
05-22-2010, 01:05 AM
^and that why he needs to lay low. i really feel for the guy. 24 hrs after his highest of highs he finds himself fighting for his brief political life and the legitamacy(i know i didnt spell that right) of a movement with six months to go.........

Original_Intent
05-22-2010, 01:16 AM
I wish he hadn't cancelled but I can understand why he did.

I doubt he knows how many people are cheering for him, most of what he sees are the distortions and the smears.

We need to do something, not necessarily a money bomb, but something as a show of support.

low preference guy
05-22-2010, 03:14 AM
You seem to be upset. Do you regret donating money to Rand? Voting for Rand in the Primary?

i doubt he did those things. he's a long-time Rand basher.

low preference guy
05-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Though it might be in his best interests not to go on, canceling is going to make him look bad.

canceling was the best thing he could have done. he showed the liberal media the middle finger by canceling their pathetic little show.

DamianTV
05-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Cancelling will make him look less bad than actually going on that show.

The show is so far beyond extremist that it is just insane, and Chris Matthews is very good at selling his point of view to sheep. Anyone that goes on that is as extremist as the host is will get a "good" interview, but look at what happened to Ron Paul? The entire show was nothing but making Ron look bad. Do you really expect that Chris Matthews (the host) will do anything less to Rand?

He may better off staying away from extreme negative publicity.

0zzy
05-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Cancelling will make him look less bad than actually going on that show.

The show is so far beyond extremist that it is just insane, and Chris Matthews is very good at selling his point of view to sheep. Anyone that goes on that is as extremist as the host is will get a "good" interview, but look at what happened to Ron Paul? The entire show was nothing but making Ron look bad. Do you really expect that Chris Matthews (the host) will do anything less to Rand?

He may better off staying away from extreme negative publicity.

the host is david Greggory. but I see your point and agree. he is running for Kentucky, Kentucky loves Palin. Liberals think Rand is turning into Palin sooo...ya know. just throwin that out there.

;>

Mini-Me
05-22-2010, 03:47 AM

Justin, I can understand concern. I agree with it. I can understand criticism. I agree with much of it. However, your completely unmeasured, un-nuanced, exaggerated condemnation of Rand Paul all across this board is obscenely harsh, and it's bordering on trolling.

You can start a lynch mob if you want, but what is it really going to gain you? If you just take a break from all this and let everything play out, Rand may pleasantly surprise you in time. It's possible he won't, but trying to demoralize his support base in advance with destructive (not constructive) criticism is not going to change that anyway. The only thing it could possibly do is push the election more in Conway's favor, and we all know for damn sure he's not going to pleasantly surprise any of us.

Even with his current rhetoric, Rand has more pro-liberty views than Conway on not just some issues, but literally every issue I can think of, and that includes wars and civil liberties. This is not a "lesser of evils" situation where you're deciding between two people who are planning on completely wrecking the country in two different ways. Instead, it's a lesser of goods situation where you're picking between letting a completely destructive statist win or supporting someone who simply might not want to go as far towards liberty as you like. Besides, considering Ron Paul is still stumping for Rand, I find it exceedingly likely that he probably knows something about him that you do not.

If you're too disappointed with Rand to stand behind him, that's fine, and I can respect that. If you think he needs a wake-up call from the liberty base, that's fine, but rabidly attacking him with as much vitriol as possible is not productive towards that end. If you think the grassroots should invest their time and energy into other candidates or non-political endeavors, foaming-at-the-mouth attacks against Rand are not going to sway any of his supporters; they'll only invite backlash. In short, you have nothing to gain by viciously trashing him, unless you're being deceptive about your motives. Take a breather.

cheapseats
05-22-2010, 06:48 AM
This we must get back to THE REAL ISSUES. This is a non-issue.

I couldn't disagree more.

But for the sake of argument, let's say it IS a non-issue. Then that's what you SAY upon questioning. You call BULLSHIT and decline to answer. You don't answer, then back peddle, then engage in evasive maneuvers.

cheapseats
05-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Smart move.

I'd point to the whole charade of PLAYING WITHIN THE SYSTEM and WE'LL GET 'EM IN THE NEXT ELECTION as playing a RIGGED game, on their turf, by rules they change as they see fit.

cheapseats
05-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Mistake...

Bad move...

More disappointment. :(

I would recommend Rand to fire anyone on his campaign staff who advised him to cancel that interview.

I am sick of liberty candidates and their "teaching campaigns"

I say bring it on.

Have this fight, or DON'T have this fight. But those of you who applaud HIDING, BACK PEDDLING, STRATEGERY and WINNING OVER PRINCIPLES, especially those of you who CLING to purist crap like privatization of roads and education, can KISS YOUR HOPED-FOR CHANGES GOODBYE at the legislative level if ya can't even sell 'em in a we've-had-it-up-to-here-all-bets-are-off-clean-house-and-take-no-prisoners campaign to BECOME a legislator.

Justinjj1
05-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Justin, I can understand concern. I agree with it. I can understand criticism. I agree with much of it. However, your completely unmeasured, un-nuanced, exaggerated condemnation of Rand Paul all across this board is obscenely harsh, and it's bordering on trolling.

I see your point and I will try to tone it down a notch. I mainly just lurk and read the forums, but Rand Paul just raises my ire and whenever I see him discussed I feel the need to vent.

teamrican1
05-22-2010, 08:26 AM
As someone who thinks this "controversy" will be good for the campaign with the voters of Kentucky, I nonetheless support this move. There is no reason for Rand to be doing Liberal Media shows. Hardly anybody watches MSNBC nationally, and in Kentucky I bet their numbers are even worse. Why go shows with hostile hosts and dismal ratings to get peppered with smears and unfair questions? From now till the election he should stick with doing Fox, Local Kentucky Shows, and selective appearances on CNN. Forget about the overt Liberal Media (MSNBC, the Three Networks, Comedy Central, ect). We have an overwhelming lead in the polls and there is no reason for us to wade in to the leftist slime.

And for the love of God send Jesse Benton back to Ron Paul's staff.

Mini-Me
05-22-2010, 08:32 AM
I see your point and I will try to tone it down a notch. I mainly just lurk and read the forums, but Rand Paul just raises my ire and whenever I see him discussed I feel the need to vent.

Thanks...I'm not trying to be a forum hall monitor or anything either, it's just that there are few things the establishment would love to see more than all of us infighting and at each other's throats. I'd like to disappoint them. ;)

georgiaboy
05-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Rand Paul and his campaign just won a GOP primary where the odds were stacked against them.

I'm ready to give them the benefit of the doubt in cancelling the MTP interview, without trying to second guess the whole thing.

The anointed leader of the Tea Party reserves the right. :D

cheapseats
05-22-2010, 08:46 AM
The anointed leader of the Tea Party reserves the right. :D

Like "anointed leaders" before him?

bchavez
05-22-2010, 08:57 AM

... hot damn. Rand is killin' it. But at least he has some political capital to spend, me thinks... hope it doesn't turn out to be that bad.

DONATE NOW: http://schiff.depositwiz.com

georgiaboy
05-22-2010, 08:57 AM
hehe, yeah, humor hasn't gotten me anywhere on this forum lately. just poking fun at the CRA stuff, CS, with a dash of Matthews.

angelatc
05-22-2010, 09:02 AM
From a different angle:

Screw MTP. They didn't have Ron Paul on after he won the CPAC straw poll, and their ratings are in the predictable "liberals are losers" ratings decline, primarily because David Gregory is no Tim Russert. They don't want to hear what Rand Paul has to offer, they want to capture some viewers and get a chance at knocking him off his pedestal.

I don't want him to spread my message. I want him to win an election. To be honest, I was worried about what ammunition his foreign policy answers were going to hand to the neocons. The anti-war right is already ticked about his stance on Iran, and the Cheney/Gingrich wing already suspect there's a soft underbelly to be had there.

After hearing that Jim DeMint was going to chat with Rand about controlling the message, I am inclined to think he may have had a hand in this decision.

I think it may have been the best decision.

BenIsForRon
05-22-2010, 09:16 AM
After hearing that Jim DeMint was going to chat with Rand about controlling the message, I am inclined to think he may have had a hand in this decision.

That's a safe bet.

I'm just worried that Rand might get too close to some Republicans that might try to sabotage his campaign. You know most of the Republicans in the senate would rather have Conway in there.

angelatc
05-22-2010, 10:45 AM
That's a safe bet.

I'm just worried that Rand might get too close to some Republicans that might try to sabotage his campaign. You know most of the Republicans in the senate would rather have Conway in there.

I disagree about preferring Conway. I would have condceded the same point if we were discussing Mongiardo, which is why I pointed out earlier that the Conway nomination was a gift from the left.

In any event, that's certainly no excuse for chattering about his reluctance to engage in dialogue with race baiters.

This election will be about the economy. The debt. Unemployment. All the true important indicators of socialist policy.

The only people interested in discussing the Civil Rights Act of 1964 are the people who don't want to face him on economic issues. Same with foreign policy.

Somebody else mentioned that he should stop with the national stage stuff, and pander to the people of Kentucky. I have to agree with that 100%.

catdd
05-22-2010, 10:46 AM
One of the main reasons so many Republicans have lost the original GOP base is due to their fear of the liberal media. Let's not allow that to happen to us - win or lose we stick to our message. Let the liberals scream and cry all they want.

Fozz
05-22-2010, 10:55 AM
That's a safe bet.

I don't think so :rolleyes:

rich34
05-22-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't think so :rolleyes:

I used to weary of this myself, but I tend to believe now that they'd rather have an R in there strictly for power purposes. I think they'll just try and treat him like Ron though. You know, keep him from serving as the head of any committee...

Aratus
05-22-2010, 11:20 AM
the lt. governor is totally furious at jack conway.
mitch mcconnell seldom is off in his take on things.

teamrican1
05-22-2010, 12:00 PM
One of the main reasons so many Republicans have lost the original GOP base is due to their fear of the liberal media. Let's not allow that to happen to us - win or lose we stick to our message. Let the liberals scream and cry all they want.

Big difference between what Lindsay Graham and Michael Steele are doing- groveling to the MSM and apologizing for and repudiating conservative positions, and what Rand is doing- sticking to his positions and telling the MSM to F' off. So long as we stand by our principles, I have no problem with us ignoring the MSM. Especially in a case like the Kentucky Senate race where they are such an irrelevancy. If the MSM wants us to pay attention to them, it's time they pulled a Michael Steele and started groveling before us and advocating our position.

nobody's_hero
05-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Everybody on this forum should imagine, for one second, what you would say about Conway if he canceled on Meet the Press when he was in the middle of controversy. You guys would say some mean shit, as would I. So keep that in mind.

^^^^ This should have been the dispute-settling post for this discussion. :p

0zzy
05-22-2010, 12:17 PM
^^^^ This should have been the last post for this thread. :p

Imagine everyone is calling you a racist bigot and you are tired and want to stop diverting from the message and need a rest and if you go on this show they are gonna try to frame you as a racist bigot for 30 more minutes.

RM918
05-22-2010, 12:17 PM

We'd say mean shit to Conway no matter the situation. We are the opposition, that's kind of the point.

Aratus
05-22-2010, 12:19 PM
picture einstein's classic thought experiment about the two identical twins.
one lives on earth as the other mature 40something twin goes to another
solar system near to or at the speed of light and then returns. now picture
wendell ford as the twin who was on earth greeting the very speed of light
accelerated space cadet twin. its either that or jack conway is his surrogate son!

catdd
05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Big difference between what Lindsay Graham and Michael Steele are doing- groveling to the MSM and apologizing for and repudiating conservative positions, and what Rand is doing- sticking to his positions and telling the MSM to F' off.

Well that's something he's going to have to work on because he didn't come anywhere close to being that assertive. He seemed almost apologetic.

speciallyblend
05-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Colorado 2010!!!!!!! pledge and spread www.theronpaulteaparty.com

angelatc
05-22-2010, 01:54 PM

Nonsense. First and foremost, most of us aren't Conway supporters.