PDA

View Full Version : Census Worker just stopped by

orenbus
05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Census worker just stopped by, told him that I would only give the number of people living here on April 1st. I laid down the rest of the points to him that the other questions don't follow the constitution, etc, etc. He said he would write it down as a refusal, I said you are not going to write down the number of people I said? He said no at first, then I said I want your name. Went to go get a notepad and wrote down his name, he said again I'm going to jot down in the notes that this is a refusal.

I asked again would you write it down since you are jotting down that I'm refusing the other questions that the one I would answer is the number of people and the number I gave? He said ok.

Then I said from my understanding it's a $5000 fine to not answer all the questions and in the history of the census it's never been applied, and that I'm comfortable with that. To that he said thank you and I said goodbye.

Afterwords my sister pointed out you said all that wearing your Ron Paul tshirt, I looked down at my shirt, forgot I was wearing it, and said oh yea! :)

BuddyRey
05-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Afterwords my sister pointed out you said all that wearing your Ron Paul tshirt, I looked down at my shirt, forgot I was wearing it, and said oh yea! :)

Your story was already awesome, but that last bit pushed it into the realm of epic!

BetaMale
05-21-2010, 04:22 PM
I just tell them to fill out this puppy: http://billstclair.com/blog/images/public-servant-questionnaire.pdf

sends them away with my Constitutional rights intact every time.

ivflight
05-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Rang my doorbell today too. First time it was to ask about the unoccupied house next door (been empty for 20+ years). I told her she would have to ask them and that it's none of my business.

She left then came back a few minutes later to ask about my house. She started to read the form to me then asked the first question, "was the house occupied on April 1st". I said "no comment" which really caught her by surprise. She was clearly confused and stuttered a lot as she tried to explain to me that this was her job and that the census is performed every 10 years etc... She tried to ask me questions again and I explained that this is a private residence and its none of her business, that I didn't knock on her door asking questions about her family. She said, 'oh, no, this isn't for me, this is for the United States government' (holding up her name badge), dug through her bag, gave me a sheet explaining the confidentiality of the census, and explained that this is how the govt decides how to give out money. I told her that the census info has been misused before like when the govt rounded up the Japaenese in the 40's - I thought this might hit home because she was an older asian woman who probably immigrated here (didn't speak english too well), but she smiled/laughed and said that was a long time ago. I also said I didn't want any govt aid, I just wanted to be left alone, which she nervously laughed at. She gave one more go at asking me questions and I just kept saying "no comment". She finally said "I guess I'll have to write that you refused" to which I just kind of shrugged. Then she left.

At some point I also asked her under what authority she was gathering all of this data. I think she showed me her name badge again...it was unfortunetely clear that I wasn't going to be able to have a real debate with her.

I was polite and responsive the whole time, and allowed her to draw an end to the conversation rather than just closing the door on her. I think this must have been the first time this happened to her. She was very confused/disturbed as though she never had to explain herself before, and was stuttering a lot. I'm curious if I'll get another visit.

free1
05-21-2010, 06:25 PM
If they see you, you have been enumerated. YOU ARE DONE!

They count the homeless that way, just a head count.

So if you have a home, I guess then they think you are fool enough to answer questions?

austin944
05-21-2010, 07:27 PM
If they see you, you have been enumerated. YOU ARE DONE!

I'm not answering the door, I have a peep-hole. When I see a stranger with a clipboard and a bunch of papers in their hand, I'll lay low until they leave. :)

dannno
05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I can just picture the swat team coming in and dragging people off as they ask, "what did I do?!" to which they reply, "you REFUSED."

That would really be lame tho, cause like half the people on this board would be gone. I wouldn't have anybody to talk to.

RideTheDirt
05-21-2010, 08:11 PM
I can just picture the swat team coming in and dragging people off as they ask, "what did I do?!" to which they reply, "you REFUSED."

That would really be lame tho, cause like half the people on this board would be gone. I wouldn't have anybody to talk to.

:(

Anti Federalist
05-21-2010, 08:18 PM

It's coming to that at some point.

At some point in time, the gunvernment is not going to go placidly away with a "refused" comment on their database form.

KCIndy
05-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Rang my doorbell today too. First time it was to ask about the unoccupied house next door (been empty for 20+ years).

I would have started making up all sorts of wild sh*t, just to see how far I could push it before she realized I was yanking her chain.

"Yes, ma'am, that house is normally occupied by a really big family of Pacific Islanders. They're all off on vacation right now, but normally there are thirty of them, I think... And they all have to share one bathroom. Do you think the Census could be used to get some government bathroom grants for our town? And eight of them are over 100 years old! Be sure to write that down. Is that worth anything from the government? And did I mention that three of them are dwarfs? They can get assistance grants, I'm sure....."

About the time the forms were getting really full from all that writing, I would ask if the leprechauns who lived in the back garden were also allowed to be counted for the Census.

:D

Anti Federalist
05-21-2010, 09:03 PM
I would have started making up all sorts of wild sh*t, just to see how far I could push it before she realized I was yanking her chain.

"Yes, ma'am, that house is normally occupied by a really big family of Pacific Islanders. They're all off on vacation right now, but normally there are thirty of them, I think... And they all have to share one bathroom. Do you think the Census could be used to get some government bathroom grants for our town? And eight of them are over 100 years old! Be sure to write that down. Is that worth anything from the government? And did I mention that three of them are dwarfs? They can get assistance grants, I'm sure....."

About the time the forms were getting really full from all that writing, I would ask if the leprechauns who lived in the back garden were also allowed to be counted for the Census.

That made me chuckle. :D

ivflight
05-22-2010, 07:45 PM

This isn't the place to be a jackass. The census gives liberty folk a perfect chance to talk to people and explain themselves - they come right to our doors! This is an opportunity to influence people.

tangent4ronpaul
05-22-2010, 09:46 PM
MMMMMmmmmmm census workers! YUMMY! They walk alot - are in pretty good shape - talk about prime beef! That and my rose bed REALLY needs some fertilizer... :D

-t

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-23-2010, 01:03 AM
the census people are everyday people, not FBI. Anyway I didn't see anything wrong with telling them how old I am, it's not like the government doesn't already know anyway.

KCIndy
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
This isn't the place to be a jackass. The census gives liberty folk a perfect chance to talk to people and explain themselves - they come right to our doors! This is an opportunity to influence people.

...:(.... I'm sooo ashamed.... :(