PDA

View Full Version : Weigel: Left/L:ibertarian Alliance Smashed into Tiny Pieces

AuH20
05-21-2010, 01:45 PM
As if this surprised anyone?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/05/the_end_of_the_liberal-liberta.html

RM918
05-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Rand has melded 'Teabagger' and 'Libertarian' into one distinct form, which the liberals hate immensely with no real reason. It used to be, under Bush, you could have a philosophical debate with a liberal without them snapping mentally. No longer, they're just as rabid as the neocons now that they've captured the hill.

Badger Paul
05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
The left-libertarian alliance dies every time there's a Dem in the White House.

More importantly, the left blogosphere hates libertarians and will brook no alliance with them.

Stary Hickory
05-21-2010, 03:10 PM
A libertarian type is a threat to the left because the left is all about coercive government force to restrict liberty. Rand Paul was a harmless tool to use to bash the GOP before...now he is a threat to overbearing government.

The left's angle with Ron Paul was always to use him to belittle the GOP and to stir up a third party if possible to weaken the GOP. It's been on the agenda. What happened and what is happening is quite nice, the GOP is waking up. There is a LONG LONG LOOOOONG way to go. But I see progress now where I saw no hope before.

The left cannot handle libertarians in the intellectual or moral battlefield. Republicans always lacked true conviction. They held beliefs that were created a long time ago by classical liberals(todays libertarians). But they lost the rationale behind these beliefs which made them very inconsistent and easy to break. Additionally Republicans, because they lacked the understanding behind freedom, often did irrational things in the name of liberty.

Libertarians lack this weakness, which I like. It's like a very significant part of America is rediscovering why freedom and small government are important.

Shimpchip
05-21-2010, 03:11 PM
New alliance: Libertarians and Neocons

Mini-Me
05-21-2010, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't say it's been smashed into tiny pieces, actually. Just today, Ron Paul cosponsored this (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=2709897), and it's certainly something we can work with the remaining anti-war left on.

Stary Hickory
05-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Ugh don't even say that. There never was an alliance between the left and libertarians anyways. Just some areas of overlapping interest. Like less war....although I have yet to see how the left brings us less war.

RM918
05-21-2010, 03:20 PM

If it holds up like the last one it's not much of an alliance at all.

Stary Hickory
05-21-2010, 03:21 PM
If it holds up like the last one it's not much of an alliance at all.

No more groveling at their feet.....you cannot trust a neocon.

BuddyRey
05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Libertarians didn't destroy that alliance; liberals did.

MsDoodahs
05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Libertarians didn't destroy that alliance; liberals did.

Exactly.

moonshineplease
05-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Shouldn't be a surprise that most modern day, self identified neoconservatives originally came from the far left.

dr. hfn
05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
what alliance?

Stary Hickory
05-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Shouldn't be a surprise that most modern day, self identified neoconservatives originally came from the far left.

Yep...really it's hard to figure out where they call came from. What is certain is this: at one time there was a libertarian party(more or less) then they became all mixed up and the bad mojo spread all around. Most of this was with the arrival of marxism.

So now the GOP has some bad mojo and so does the left. Trying to push all the shit together into one pile so we can get a decent party based on liberty is a real challenge.

Mini-Me
05-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Yep...really it's hard to figure out where they call came from. What is certain is this: at one time there was a libertarian party(more or less) then they became all mixed up and the bad mojo spread all around. Most of this was with the arrival of marxism.

So now the GOP has some bad mojo and so does the left. Trying to push all the shit together into one pile so we can get a decent party based on liberty is a real challenge.

I love the way you put that...we're trying to push all the shit together into one pile. LOL. :D

CUnknown
05-21-2010, 04:20 PM
I hope it has not been smashed, but it has taken a serious hit and it might not be able to recover. It's really sad.

RM918
05-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Oh yeah, it is way dead. Salon goes after Ron with the usual race-baiting as usual:

(If you're not a masochist, you probably shouldn't read this)

h ttp://www.salon.com/news/rand_paul_kentucky_senate_republican/index.html?story=/opinion/conason/2010/05/21/racial

Racist, anti-semites, illegal-immigrant haters. The whole kit and kaboodle, it spreads out like a liberal conspiracy theory. How long will this shit continue to work? It's absolutely intellectually bankrupt, I felt like my IQ went down 10 points for reading it.

EDIT: I'm surprised he only has one article tagged as 'racial'. I suspect he'll have to start numbering them soon.

heavenlyboy34
05-21-2010, 09:42 PM

correction: beltway Libertarians and Neocons. small l libertarians are wise to the Neocons' games. :cool:

Anti Federalist
05-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Oh christ no, I'd commit Hari Kari first.

Anti Federalist
05-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Ugh don't even say that. There never was an alliance between the left and libertarians anyways. Just some areas of overlapping interest. Like less war....although I have yet to see how the left brings us less war.

They don't.

They are self absorbed hypocrites, as bad as the neocon right.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=246048

Vessol
05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
The side that isn't in power is always on "our side".

silentshout
05-22-2010, 01:21 AM
duplicate, delete please..

silentshout
05-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Meh..maybe for some left-leaners, but not me. I honestly have no idea what side of the spectrum I'm on anymore anyway. It's eye-opening to me, though, to go back and visit old discussion boards and blogs and see the reactions to Rand. So many are just purely emotional reactions with no rational discussion.